liveaboard

Suggest if you are still following Hineka do check out the rust situation as rumour has it she alledgedly has had some repairs to rust holes penetrating right through the plating, from the inside, hope this isn't true.

Also although she is 70' long the interior space is not much more than you would get with a good cruising 40 footer.

Suggest if you are still following Hineka do check out the rust situation as rumour has it she alledgedly has had some repairs to rust holes penetrating right through the plating, from the inside, hope this isn't true.

Also although she is 70' long the interior space is not much more than you would get with a good cruising 40 footer.

That would be my fear with this specific boat, the bills of a 60-70 footer but the living space of a 40 footer i.e. not a great combo!

RobT, given your budget of around $150k and a desire for a boat that is metal-hulled and ready to go again (not a DIY project) here is a nice looking option:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts-sail-boats/moored-boats/auction-386813230.htm

131684373_full.jpg

To run a 70' yacht you would want a pretty good budget and experience. The costs of buying any gear to replace on a 70' would generally be significantly (read multiples) more than a 40'. The loads on the rig are much higher and therefore you would need to know what you are doing.

Although cruising yacht sizes have been getting progressively bigger are sail handling technology improves the typical cruising yacht is still around the 40' +/- and it is that size for a reason - good combination of interior volume, easy enough for a couple to handle and can be managed within a reasonable budget.

The purchase price is the easy bit - don't forget the ongoing costs which if this yacht hasn't had a refit and needs upgrading could be significant (possibly even the purchase price again). I would be nervous about spending my entire budget on the purchase price, unless it is new or has had a recent refit and doesn't need any work!) Yachts take twice as long and cost twice as much to repair as you would imagine!

Having said that - great atitude - get out there and do it!

We lived with 7 people (5 boys)on board a 45ft gaff rigged herreshoff for many years. mainly based in marinas around NZ but spent a few years just cruising, (Chatam islands, bay of islands, marlbrough sounds) and they my folks left with the 2 youngest boys in 1995 to protest against the nuclear testing in mururoa and never came back. Now days they still live on the boat but are based in tasmainia and love it over there.

Our boat was pretty budget, without a word of a lie we could fly 8 sails at once and there were no jammers or winches (other than the manual anchor winch for a 50kg anchor...) all block and tackle (and shitty old 3 strand rope...). All the systems were basic but functional, no pressure water or heated water (we used the Kettle), all basic 12 volt systems, wind vane self steering. This kept the running cost very low, there was however alot of varnish work and brass work which kept us young fellas busy.

all in all it was a good mix, a big crew of keen young fellas to pull ropes and help with the maintanence and a low budget home built reasonably big volume boat.

now that all us kids have left home and they dont have a big crew, the oldies have a furling headsail, 4 winches, and a spray dodger (3 things my dad said he would never have on the boat but i guess you got to stop the old biddy from complaining some how...)

They cruised the pacific for many years and still do an anual cruise for a few months each year. i dont know what the budget was, but i would say it was minimal and certainly much below any other 45fter around. They sustained the lifestyle with odd jobs here and there (mostly teaching or building) and yacht deliverys/refit work. we allways had just enough to get by.

It was a great lifestyle and i wouldnt change it for the world.

I hope to be able to give my kids a similar upbringing at some stage but it is just looking more and more out of reach these days. If finacially viable I would be away ASAP but will still contemplate a 2-3month island cruise in the next 5 years.

We did bump into Broadoak in our travels, their boat was called 'Janesta' (something like that anyway), we were just down from them in Mana for a while.

Copy of Maid.JPG

Here's mine, has a new name now so I have no idea what she's called or where she is, custom deck and interior and tall rig. Great boat, I would have taken her anywhere.

post-3043-141887183829.jpg

post-3043-141887183833.jpg

Cav 32 hull from Export Yachts, then taken to Fossill boatbuilding then over the back of New Lynn somewhere. The tall rig made a huge difference, On the first sail I paced a mate with a Farr 33 (Moonshine), there was nothing in it.

The white bottom paint disappeared pretty quickly - OK for racers, but not for cruisers.

post-3043-141887183837.jpg