Perfect cruise

Fogg

If you had 2 weeks to charter (say a 40 footer) anywhere in the world, where would you choose and why? And what time of year?

If it's because you've been there before and loved it then fine or if it's still a dream then also fine. Photos to support your choice are good.

Good topic AC... This is currently high on my to do list, i.e. in the next 6 months... So will be interesting to know where is good, haven't decided where yet...

Finnish arghipelago, Baltic Sea, July

(not June and definately not after August, frozen solid from December to April).

50000 islands to choose from and there is no "private land" signs anywhrere. Plenty of empty bays and busy marinas, few hundred thousand proper saunas to go into after a days sail. The sun is shining 23 hours a day and its warm but not too hot, it is almost freshwater and there are no tidals or swells. You can get good seafood like smoked perch or gravad lax from the local fishermen with the best new potatoes in the world.

P6050256.JPG

So you've sailed half way around the world and the best cruising you've come across was where you left from?

The real concern in your post was this bit...

with the best new potatoes in the world.

If any of the mainlanders on here read that you'll have a fight on your hands. Jersey Bennie spuds from Oamaru are pretty had to go past but they they keep the good ones for themselves so you'll never know.

Fineline: I said that it is the best cruising place for two weeks in July, the other 50 weeks of the year the wheather is really shitty. And during winter you will have to drive a car to get to the islands over the ice.

And about the potatoes, back home nothing grows during the winter and when the sun comes, the soil has rested and has a lot more to give to the potatoes. And the sun helps too, shining almost 24/7 until the potatoes are ready. You kiwis don't even know how good the potatoes can really be.

I would love to go back to Greece, we went there in 2003 for 5 weeks, at the end of summer when most of the other tourists had gone home, beautiful weather could park the boat usually within 50 feet of a Taverna on the populated islands or could go and hide in a bay at the unpopulated ones. reasonably cheap at the time. Would go back there in a heartbeat if given half a chance.

The Fossiless agrees with Squid, the Sea Of Cortez, I'm inclined to agree, but also enjoyed Turkey. Another good area is British Columbia and Washington State. Seattle and Victoria. Vancouver Island etc.

Yeah, All of Greece, and the Dalmation/Croatian coast could draw me back although the changes (bureaucratic) since the early 70's probably wouldn't allow it to live up to the memories. The sailing was pretty uncomplicated then.

European canals perhaps?

I would wait untill december then crter a boat in Phuket, the first week could be the kings cup, then the last week could be cruising around the krabi peninsular and phuket island.

Its awesome up there.

I delivered a bendytoy 42 to Dubrovnik then Kremik Marina (north of Split close to a little town called Primosten) back in '87. Was a little early for the coast to have opened up to tourists as it was still heavily controlled by the gubmint. I was astounded by the marina at Gruz, close to Dubrovnik. Well modern and attractive.

I didn't get to stay as I had a job to go to out on Martha's Vineyard off Boston but I was well impressed. I would do some investigation on wind direction as I have heard the breeze blows up and down the coast rather than offshore as we have it with the Northland shoreline so you're beating or running. I have no data on that - just what I was led to believe.

'course not long after that they went back to shooting each other........

..... and the food's not up to much and I ain't no gourmand :wink:

Me bruvver did flotilla sailing round Greece and Turkey - he did enjoy Turkey

Vietnam or the very top of Aussie.

Lots of nasty things to bite you, language issues with the locals knot being able to speak proper, stroppy locals if you land on the wrong spot, weird food now and again so if you don't like that stuff flag Aussie and go to Vietnam instead ;)

The next dream destination is the Pacific North West for me, in particular desolation sound

For where I have been I'd also back Thailand. Can't understand why it isn't overrun.

The scenery around Krabi is stunning but our favourite is Koh Racha Yai to the south of Phuket

034.jpg

And wonderful food and no OSH regulations of the cooking techniques

067.JPG

near Krabi

DSCF4.jpg

Don't know if there's any real sailing there, I do know they pretty much don't allow cruisers in.

Yes they sail up there and usually in weird boats, you'd like it :)

There are ways and means. For commies they are very relaxed if you talk to the right one. I do a bit of business up there and once they get to know you doors do open.

Just seems like a nice spot away from the fast growing maddening crowds some destinations get now. For some reason that place has always intrigued me.

The most prefect cruise we ever did was along the south coast of Sicily, from Syricusa http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Italy/Sicilia/Siracusa-142362/TravelGuide-Siracusa.html(Pythagoras-

Greek temples, catacombs, wonderful architecture. Taomina http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=taomina&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

The through the Straits of Mesala to the Aolean Islands. http://www.google.co.nz/imgres?imgurl=http://www.uwsp.edu/geo/projects/geoweb/participants/dutch/GeoPhotoVtrips/Stromboli/Messina0.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.uwsp.edu/geo/projects/geoweb/participants/dutch/VTrips/Stromboli.HTM&h=500&w=600&sz=48&tbnid=xp-FfmkCN1gcuM:&tbnh=87&tbnw=104&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dstraits%2Bof%2BMessina%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=straits+of+Messina&usg=__RYvsFD8Hh7rCUR_35qcMGghQG8A=&sa=X&ei=DisUToudH-LemAXGgr3SDg&ved=0CE8Q9QEwBw&dur=1242

Now how's that for an URL?

Anyway, the Aoleans are a series of Volcanos amongst which is Volcano itself. A spendid island which not only gave it's name to the game, but lives up to it. Also Stromboli which, the night we sailed past it, hurled masses of molten bolders into the air.

Brazil's "Costa Verde" , between Santos (Sao Paulo's Port) and Rio de Janeiro

http://www.litoralcostaverde.com/index.php

(look at the pictures), like taking the best of the Hauraki Gulf, Gt Barrier, BOI and Marlborough Sds rolled into one.

More than 350 islands.

in the summer, gentle breezes, warm water, cold beer, great steaks, Brazilian bikinis.......

Archived