Bimini Babe

Ethylene Glycol

Well al be durned.Put antifreeze on your toenails and toe jam.Learn something everyday

Ummmmm, it gets absorbed through your skin. I wouldn't be putting it on my toes. It might kill more than just toe jam.

I perhaps should add, there are many Glycols. Not all are poisonus. Glycols are and Organic compund from the Alcohol group.

Ethylene Glycol is the Poisonus one.

Diethylene Glycol. There are Tri's and Pents and so on, but Di is used in the making of Polyesters and urathanes and Paints etc.

Polyethylene Glycol is not poisonus and can be found in foods

Propylene Glycol is not poisonus and is often used in medicenes, food aditives and external body products.

All done, boat went back in on Friday. Scraped it back, blasted it with a heat gun (didn't have time for the full dehumidifier treatment - or a dehumidifier for that matter), soacked 4 coats of everdure in followed by 3 coats of resin, then paint. It aint pretty, but by god it's waterproof!

under the cockpit sole on mine was 100% waterlogged, to the point of being able to be dug out with fingernails. After intense heat gun action, plus a month of a fan heater its hardened up resemble real timber. It aint over with wood until it you try heat.

Hi Bimini Babe,

I cant comment on using it for rot as it is not my area of expertise, however Poisoning is.

Ethylene Glycol is poisonous when ingested. It causes a type of coma (hyperosmolar) which requires ventilation and ICU care. It's common in American alcoholics as anti freeze is cheaper than wine....

It can be absorbed through your skin too so wear gloves when you use it

Cheers

Anectdotally I'll add that it is supposed to taste nice and is attractive to pets. So splashes and drips around the boat if its in your backyard or wherever could be terminal for fluffy .