Rob Roy

Gregandsue

OK I give in. Please excuse my ignorance. But I really have to ask, why all the oo's and rrr's about this boat???

because you can't spell Rob Roy without 2x o's and 2x r's

Bloody brilliant! :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK I give in. Please excuse my ignorance. But I really have to ask, why all the oo's and rrr's about this boat???

Bloody brilliant! :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I Agree. Best counter reply to Wheels for a long time.

Give Smithy "the man" a Rum :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap:

especially before wheels makes landfall.

:lol: :lol: That's the best comeback I think I have ever read. Brilliant.

I was telling KM last week about a boat that I would have liked to have owned in some ways. It was the first boat we looked at before we ever decided to buy a big thing. A 30ftr and she was the first Fibreglass boat to ever be biult in NZ. Nothing special about her, apart from being the first in GRP. I think its kind of nice and sometimes very special to have some history in a boat. Although, now to think of it, all boats seem to gain a History. I guess it's because of the memories made in them.

Well she is our boat and not everyone has a nice arse :lol:

I do hope my comment was not taken the wrong way though. It was just that so many were making nastalgic comments that I figured there must have been some kind of History that I did not understand. Where as something like Rawhiti is easier to see that she has a History.

Its simply that she has a reputation of a fast good boat Wheels. She was spoken of as a quick boat even in the 80's when I was in the RAYC and had my boat in Hobson Bay .She was moored off the wharf and out a bit IIRC.

Vim came off a multi year restoration and is looking a picture up in the BOI too. She still goes like a bird.

GregandSue, if you're into some slightly more relaxed racing, join the classic yacht assn, you'll probably clean up the modern classics division. See if you can give Rainbird a whuppin, and hang onto Hornblower. :D

Cough... you mean is. He can be found at the traditional boatbuilding school at Hobsonville and is largely responsible for the Corona rebuild/ restoration. Between him and Robert, they've managed to cram about 3 Young 88's worth of sail onto the Mullet boat. :clap:

Any nostalgia for Rob Roy for me came from racing and cruising on her in the 80s (and where we had her in Okahu Bay as John B recalls). She cleaned up in a Balokovic Cup one year (1985 I think). Everyone went towards Waiheke from Cow and Calf in a light NW during the night, Dad and co worked the shifts offshore all night between Cow and Calf to Flat Rk and they found themselves sailing home through the whole fleet including all the glamour IOR boats of the time still trying to get to the Rock. Bit of a fond memory for him.

And the story from the 1966 Fiji race is that she might have done well on a reaching course (narrow for her length, like Vim), but unfortunately you couldn't see her waterline at the start due to the, ahem, extra ballast that McRobie was carrying, which apparently ran out half way there!

Thinking about purchasing a chart plotter, obviously one big enough that we can read! any suggestions.

.......soooooooooooo, to answer the question. Just my personal preference....I stood in the shop trying to choose between a touchscreen and a slightly cheaper pushbutton type. Ended up going with the touchscreen and on a recent 3 day passage commented, oh, about every 30 mins(!!) that going with the push button version would have annoyed the crap out of me. In my opinion (for what it's worth), whatever model you get, go touch screen. You won't regret it.

Archived