This Weekend's Achievements

4 hours ago, LBD said:

Does this mean a dish could sit discretely flat on a coach roof?... without pole.

Well, there is a HP flush antenna, but it's a bit spendy. The Standard dish is a bit deep, but if you had space I guess you could flush mount it, or be prepared to cut the antenna back off...

• Like 1

You can mount the High Performance flush dish flat.  The HP flush dish is 41mm and 35mm at opposing ends - so it has a bit of a natural angle to it.

It needs to be mounted at an 8deg incline, for rain water run off - rain fade is a real issue but if you wanted to care less about connectivity during heavy rain then it could be mounted flat.

It has a 140deg view of the sky, so more satellites means better coverage all the time - it will work better at both equatorial locations and high latitudes if you have any polar voyages planed :-)

It is also IP56 rated so you get an added level of protection that you do not get with the IP54 rated standard dish.

The downside is it uses double the power of the standard dish.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Island Time said:

Well, there is a HP flush antenna, but it's a bit spendy. The Standard dish is a bit deep, but if you had space I guess you could flush mount it, or be prepared to cut the antenna back off...

At over $4000 yes it is a bit spendy... so will not be just now.

Could be installed tidy and a little discrete however....

16 minutes ago, southernman said:

I looked at that then stopped... and thought if I get connected I am compromising one reason to go sailing in the first place... Books can still be purchased analogue.... Maybe in a few years if I decide to venture far off shore then....

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Black Panther said:

All that kind of stuff wait till you have decided to leave. The technology keeps changing (iridium go anyone?) And prices generally trend down.

Have an Iridiun GO... used it for the delivery Auckland to Nelson and a small trip afterwards. Have removed it since as it really was not required and because I could not get the installation to look neat and tidy suiting the boat... that aerial cable was such a pain and needing the unit close to a window just made it all just plain ugly.

14 minutes ago, Jono G said:

Anyone know the boat with the broken mast in the news this morning? Looks reasonably fast.  Was it abandoned?

Don’t know the boat but it looks like a later model Beale 30 something with the single continuous window 

Link here:

Photo of the boat with whole mast floating around, then video of the boat tied up to the floating apartment with half a mast, the top bit which is banging against the superstructure of the cruise ship, possibly the bridge wing (something sticking out a bit more than usual).

Others are on the yacht, so getting them and the yacht home has now been seriously complicated. Guess the cruise ship didn't want to launch a boat to go to the yacht?

Auckland-Fiji Pacific Explorer cruise ship diverts to yacht in distress in high seas rescue, one person receiving medical treatment | Newshub

Pulled out the Gas Califont, in preparaition of installing a 25L engine heated hotwater cylinder. We always motor about an hour a day to and from anchorages and moorings... should be enough. Does anyone have experience they would like to  share?

Replaced  the copper and brass, blocked grease line to the stern tube with a nice stainless set.  I can once again pump grease into the tube before leaving  the boat unattended without water dripping... Will go dripless seal in the future. What grease are others using? 

Replaced the little toy Rule shower/basin/sink grey water sump set up,  with a custom, robust, 25L HDPE tank and an external 1 and 1/4 inch Jabsco gulper pump that will not choke on coffee grinds down the sink.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, LBD said:

Pulled out the Gas Califont, in preparaition of installing a 25L engine heated hotwater cylinder. We always motor about an hour a day to and from anchorages and moorings... should be enough. Does anyone have experience they would like to  share?

Firefly's hot water uses a calorifier like this. Only needs 10-15min running to get hot, and the engine also stores quite a bit of heat - so it seems that we get more than 25l hot water - don’t know how much of that residual engine heat is subsequently pulled into the hot water tho. It also has a 220v 700w element - which is nice because when you’re in the marina you can have hot water - we just run an extension cable - likely not a possibility in NZ. 

works best in busy anchorages and marinas where you motor more. In isolated and less busy anchorages we tend to sail off and on the anchor - running the engine only for the 1-2min of raising the anchor unless we’re trying to keep the kids asleep in the aft cabins when we don’t start the motor at all and just let the Li work a bit harder. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DrWatson said:

Firefly's hot water uses a calorifier like this. Only needs 10-15min running to get hot, and the engine also stores quite a bit of heat - so it seems that we get more than 25l hot water - don’t know how much of that residual engine heat is subsequently pulled into the hot water tho. It also has a 220v 700w element - which is nice because when you’re in the marina you can have hot water - we just run an extension cable - likely not a possibility in NZ. 

works best in busy anchorages and marinas where you motor more. In isolated and less busy anchorages we tend to sail off and on the anchor - running the engine only for the 1-2min of raising the anchor unless we’re trying to keep the kids asleep in the aft cabins when we don’t start the motor at all and just let the Li work a bit harder. 

Thanks Doc.... good to know.

14 hours ago, LBD said:

Replaced  the copper and brass, blocked grease line to the stern tube with a nice stainless set.  I can once again pump grease into the tube before leaving  the boat unattended without water dripping... Will go dripless seal in the future. What grease are others using? 

Replaced the little toy Rule shower/basin/sink grey water sump set up,  with a custom, robust, 25L HDPE tank and an external 1 and 1/4 inch Jabsco gulper pump that will not choke on coffee grinds down the sink.

Ours works great, it was in the boat when we purchased it, no complaints, the vessel also has a PSS shaft seal which has never leaked in 6 years including a recent 5 month trip to the islands. It is a bit freaky compared to the admiralty gland  because you only have to pull the bellows back with relatively light hand pressure and water pours in, I took a bicycle inner tube along as an emergency seal but need not have worried. I have tried the lip seal type and I could never get the bloody thing it to work no matter how much grease I pumped in even and with sea water cooling it was useless, It also wore a groove in the shaft. 

• Like 1

Installed  a 40L one and copied bad kitty ? By putting an inline tap in the loop from engine to tank . It gets stupid hot otherwise and relief valve wastes water too , it will open and stay open if you are motoring for long periods . Also put a 500W 230V element in and hope to run it off the inverter via solar on sunny days .

• Like 1