This Weekend's Achievements

Damn, thing. Lost the text. That was the weekend's achievements. Welsford Rogue, but will end up somewhat modified.

Nice work Dr W, and a pretty busy weekend i would have thought too

There is a JWBuilders yahoo group, where those that , have, built, might build or just own Welsford boats hang out, and many questions are answered in relation to anything to do with the boats.  JW is a regular there also 

here is the link that might work....

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/jwbuilders/conversations/messages 

Yup, I've a login on that group. Was quite a busy weekend. Christina was scarfing 10x20 batons all weekend to use as ribands. Hopefully, we'll get the hull to below expected weight... All modification undertaken at my own risk, of course.

rmiker, what is the boat, and why is she out of balance to begin with? Most of us go out of our way to remove weight from our boats, not add it!!

She's a Pelorous 25 ex Compass Yachts. Probably one of the very 1st from what I can gather. However They were all ballasted with concrete and steel punchings as you probably know already. Most of that was removed because the steel had started to/was corroding and I replaced it with lead set in resin. Because the person who removed the original ballast forgot to weigh it we have had to rely on a gross recommendation from a noted designer and estimate what is left and I have had to do some educated guessing using the original waterline to decide how much to install. So anyway I left 200kg out so I could balance the boat when she went back into the water: Which I have finally done after 12mths. Not convinced we need all the extra kg's for stability but she did float a little bit bow high and is still high 2" on the original waterline.

My current project is sails and covers. Over the last week I took off the stack pack, re-sewed the UV damaged seams and repaired a couple of tears. Sewed in some webbing straps so that the stack pack can be rolled down and secured along the boom to get it completely out of the way when sailing, without removing it.

Took off the main and repaired a tear, and a bit of wrecked leach cord cover, sewed a few (more) patches  on some worn bits.

I have a spare main, but it's a bit too big, so layed it out and put the real main on top, drew around it and then cut it down - a little off the foot, and a bit off the leach. The flattening reef cringle is the new tack.

Now have to re-do the batten pocket ends, replace the leach cord and fittings, add a reef point, and finish the foot. I'll have to get a sailmaker to press in the new reefing cringles, but I reckon I can do the rest.....

My current project is sails and covers. Over the last week I took off the stack pack, re-sewed the UV damaged seams and repaired a couple of tears. Sewed in some webbing straps so that the stack pack can be rolled down and secured along the boom to get it completely out of the way when sailing, without removing it.

Took off the main and repaired a tear, and a bit of wrecked leach cord cover, sewed a few (more) patches  on some worn bits.

I have a spare main, but it's a bit too big, so layed it out and put the real main on top, drew around it and then cut it down - a little off the foot, and a bit off the leach. The flattening reef cringle is the new tack.

Now have to re-do the batten pocket ends, replace the leach cord and fittings, add a reef point, and finish the foot. I'll have to get a sailmaker to press in the new reefing cringles, but I reckon I can do the rest.....

What machine are you using?

I have a Morse - its like a sailrite, Zigzag, walking foot etc. It's pretty good, but does struggle a bit with the thickest parts - more actually getting them under the foot than sewing them. It could do with having a higher lift height on the foot. Like all these small machines, the arm could be longer! 

After 3 months sitting on the berth for some interior jobs and engine maintenance we got out to Izzy for a quiet off season night on saturday.

AHHHhahahahahahaha. ( the 2 handed finished there)

We sailed around with the stack pack for a couple of seasons when it was new. There's 2 things they don't tell you about those things . One is they have a zip along the top so your sail is flooded every time it rains( the newer ones have offset zips and more flappy flaps to stop that). But the other is that it is  bloody horrible to sail with the things waving on around in the breeze.  So about 2 or 3 years ago I did the same , dropped it off and put it inside the lazy jacks ,and just roll the thing up.  Its a permanently  attached sail cover now. Bliss. Made boom wings, more bliss.

After 3 months sitting on the berth for some interior jobs and engine maintenance we got out to Izzy for a quiet off season night on saturday.

AHHHhahahahahahaha. ( the 2 handed finished there)

Ah yeeaahhh sorry bout that racket.

It wasn't bad at all for us, we were up the other end of the bay .We anchored up there to say hello to some friends, I just thought it was funny . 

Generally we stay out of there in the middle of summer because of crowds ,but first time out for the season.........hahaha.