This Weekend's Achievements

The good thing about small yachts is that the engines usually stall, also the SD is stronger than a P strut. A mate works on Taranaki ironsand exports where they have to park the tankers at the offshore pipe for loading, someone made a mistake and a dyneema tow got wrapped around a running prop. The ensuing repair was close to a million dollars- steam to the singapore drydock on the other engine etc

Waterblasted the green moss off, sailed to Ponui, ate, drank and watched the sun set, returned Sunday in a good stiff 15 to 25kt.  Saw orca at the entrance to the Wairoa (Clevedon) river.  Broke nothing, finally got the cabin heater running reliably and playing nicely with the fuel system.

Not a bad start to summer.

IMG_20221015_200320.jpg

IMG_20221015_200612.jpg

FB_IMG_1665956858150.jpg

• Like 1

After a few years of procrastination, finally got into it and scraped many layers of antifoul off Whitepointer, what a slow laborious job, 6 days to scrape and another 4 to fill and sand smooth ready for bottom paint, im very happy with the result.

20221004_131408.jpg

20221019_100348.jpg

20221022_150634.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
On 8/09/2022 at 10:04 AM, eruptn said:

Things came to a rapid holt after starting up...

20220904_150726.jpg

Oooo that take me back a year or two... early 80s mid winter Havelock... 3 am cold wind, frosty  night...snow melt coming down the Pelorous river. I  get a phone call at 3 am... Hey... is your dive bottle full?..... yeees... wwhhyyyy?....Just get your gear on and I pick you up in 10 minutes.

Tug boat, 6LX 3:1 gearbox... towing a mussel barge, had wrapped a 2 inch tow line around the prop at Cullen point. 20 minutes working by feel with a couple of sharp knifes and several hacksaw blades.. it had wound up real tight and solid. Coldest I have ever been. The barge ramp was lowered into the water... when finished I lay on the ramp and was lifted out with the hydraulics... handed a cup of black tea... (turned out to be scotch)... sat in the engine room for 15 minutes and fell asleep.   

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, Clipper said:

Why the trip?  We have a family Bach at pahi, dont ever see yachts in there?

Well Gwalarn was in there 6 or 7 years ago for about 4 to 5 months (memory) even over the Pahi regatta. and I live at Marohemo (MGTO) reason for arrival. Yes Whangape entrance can be / could be exciting. I draw 1m with both boards up, it is relatively narrow, right hand side going and left coming out. Great place once you are inside you have to anchor in the channel of Whangape road. though we have motored up several miles and anchored at a mates bottom paddock, but it does dry out up that far.  I've been accross it 4 times now, twice when I thought I was in a mill pond and twice when it was a bit more of a genuine west coast bar, anything over a metre of swell gets it working. The Kaipara crossing is recommended at 1m swell, coming in this time I would have said we had 1.5 with up to 2.5 in the sweepers, never had a wave break on board even though the breaks on the various sandbars were quite outstanding. It was fairly easy using the plotter with updated soundings done reasonably recently, and of course with a portion of common sense. I used the northern entrance following the 10m depth line parallel to the beach up to the start of the actual bar area.

• Like 3

Left Clevedon in misty rain on Friday and stopped on the western side of Motuihe.  Rain closed in so we read and fussed about.

Saturday we waited for a bit of clear weather and then crossed to Issy Bay, parked up and waited for my brother to turn up in his Townson 34.  While waiting I finished setting up the tiller pilot finally.

A raft up and conviviality ensued.

Sunday we sailed to Onetangi, picked up an Ali dinghy and returned to Issy by way of the back of Motuihe.  Caught up with fellow Spencerite San Fran, and ate and drank too much.

Monday dawned misty wet again but slowly cleared.  Left Issy at about 10.30 thinking it would be slow to get across to Clevedon for a 6pm tide limit.  Instead we had a great broad reach and plenty of time to configure the TP32 pilot.

A swim off Ponui, tight reach with a couple of tacks, and home by 8pm.