Mast height

how come then the 8.5s are so fast, heck, DD gives timberwolf a good run for his money, do you think DD would go faster with bigger rig?

What about all the boats already made to the rule, are you going to then force them to spend $15 - 20,000 to be competitive again?

That's a bit unfair, and they have committed to their boats in good faith.

And what about guys like Samin, half way through building, what does he do while everybody procrastinates.

Why stop at the height of the mast then, why not let it be 10 metres in length, then even more could join the class.

There has to be limits, these have been set, if people want to sail something else, let them start a new class.

(I,m pleased that only 8.5 members have a say in the end, otherwise this class is doomed to failure)

how come then the 8.5s are so fast, heck, DD gives timberwolf a good run for his money, do you think DD would go faster with bigger rig?

yes I do.

What about all the boats already made to the rule, are you going to then force them to spend $15 - 20,000 to be competitive again?

The GBEs aren't particularly competitive anyway.

That's a bit unfair, and they have committed to their boats in good faith.

And what about guys like Samin, half way through building, what does he do while everybody procrastinates.

Nobody is procrastinating, the rule already exists.

Sam was talking about putting a mast head rig on his try to maximise sail area. How can this possibly be good..

Why stop at the height of the mast then, why not let it be 10 metres in length, then even more could join the class.

stop being supid thats just a dumb idea. Water length and air draft are completely different issues...

There has to be limits, these have been set, if people want to sail something else, let them start a new class.

(I,m pleased that only 8.5 members have a say in the end, otherwise this class is doomed to failure)

surely only active racing 8.5 members should get to vote ? otherwise you have the brown undies brigade setting the rules for the racing boys...

Hi John

Good discussion this one.

When we are racing Attitude we are actually racing two boats.

Attitude in a breeze is an absolute weapon of a boat. It is faster than us.

Its generally faster than Deeds, and it mixes it most of the time with Taeping.

often attitude still has full sail on where as ourselves and Taeping may be reefed and have small jibs.

To me that shows Attitudes potential.

However if she is under powered, well I'm sorry but then we are racing a different boat.

The Deeds is all over her like a rash, and I also don't think she is competitive against either Taeping or ourselves.

The only difference in the two sets of conditions is in one she is fully wicked up, the other she is under powered (even compared to Deeds).

If Attitude does put on more sail, I for one will be expecting to be beaten much more often by her.

It may need new beams as well, but man there is just a huge amount of potential speed there just waiting to be tapped.

Tim, how much of it do you reckon is the boat and how much of it is the attitude of the crew - sending it harder than some others when breezy?

And rod_boy, 'brown undie brigade'? - Sounds a good name for a boat!

clipper perhaps you could name your new boat with that name. Now you have a mortgage just whack the cost of the boat on that.

Tim, how much of it do you reckon is the boat and how much of it is the attitude of the crew - sending it harder than some others when breezy?

And rod_boy, 'brown undie brigade'? - Sounds a good name for a boat!

Yeah the Attitude boys do push their boat very hard, but I like to think that so do we.

I think the big difference comes when attitude is fully wicked up, but we (and taeping) are either way over powered or we had to reef so we might be under wicked, either way in those conditions we get trounced by attitude so far as boat speed through the water is concerned.

clipper perhaps you could name your new boat with that name. Now you have a mortgage just whack the cost of the boat on that.

Working on it (the boat that is). Don't think it will be a good name for OUR boat though. Don't think the missus would go for it. She wouldn't even accept 'hooters' as a suitable name!

Archived