Would you take a liferaft?

Liferaft - yes or no  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Liferaft - yes or no

• Yes
    • No

KM - you are assuming there is no alternative to the raft. Most if not all that don't have one do think it through and have another solution.

Absolutely, I was just posting as a NZer trying to leave NZ with or without. Given the choice I'd use an alternative also but sadly this NZer isn't allowed to leave NZ waters with that option.

Pricing and time frames are probably based off old school manufacturing and todays gear is a lot better but this cynical dude just thinks they haven't expanded the time frames as it would reduce the sales volumes.

Wheels, that report sounds weird, you don't drift from Hawaii to California.

Well....it is as I remember. But maybe my memory isn't so reliable anymore. I read the book when it came out back in 94'ish. A truely amasing story to read. Dougal Robertson wrote the Book "Survive the Savage Sea" about his Families story of survival of 38days at sea after killer whales sank S/Y Lucette, their 43' staysail schooner. Much of what they experienced and did to survive is used today in Survival training. I didn't know till I looked at this link, but sadly it seems the Wife died in 98, thier died of bowl cancer and Dougal has since died also.

http://www.survivethesavagesea.com/

Flares!!!

WTF

name one other product boating or otherwise that hasn't improved over the last 25 years

That could be about to change. Although it would depend in the speed of NZ accepting the technology. A Laser Flare has been developed. You point it in the air and push the buttopn and the thing shoots a bright lazer beam into the air that is limitless in height ofcourse, and thus can bee seen for a lot further away. And of course they are not a quick flash in the sky for a few seconds. They last as long as the battery does. It is supposed to be quite spectacular so I have read, and that is as much as I know about it. I hope it is as good as they say it is.

My cat 1 inspector didnot require me to have a liferaft,(the fact that i had 2 onboard did not matter). He was quite happy for me to have an inflatabbl with cover(to keep the sun off the unlucky occupants

That doesn't work here in NZ. A well known circumnavigator now in Nelson(or was last time I heard) tried that with his own boats Tender. Made a stunning job of it too and it would have been a fantastic "lifeboat". But it was not allowed and he had far more experience than most inspectors i would suggest.

fhat was cat 1 from whangarei also a cat in survey based in Waiheke, Flying Cloud ? carries a modified tender that passed cat one as a liferaft on trips to the islands recently, seems it may depend on the inspector and the boat with more latitute given to multihulls and rightly so too

Wheels, that report sounds weird, you don't drift from Hawaii to California.

Well....it is as I remember. But maybe my memory isn't so reliable anymore. I read the book when it came out back in 94'ish. A truely amasing story to read. Dougal Robertson wrote the Book "Survive the Savage Sea" about his Families story of survival of 38days at sea after killer whales sank S/Y Lucette, their 43' staysail schooner. Much of what they experienced and did to survive is used today in Survival training. I didn't know till I looked at this link, but sadly it seems the Wife died in 98, thier died of bowl cancer and Dougal has since died also.

http://www.survivethesavagesea.com/

Gotcha, further south than Hawaii, out of Panama headed west, rode the equatorial counter current east, further north or south and they would have gone west.

If it was just for me I would say no, I'll use the dinghy but with the ferocious missus onboard I tremble when I think of the grief I would get if we were to hit a container. Of course being a ferro it would have to hit real hard to make damage but she'd probably be doin 9 knots :shifty: I mean she bashes me about the head for just going a bit hard on the Ducati so imagine what she would do to me if we sank! Also with a crew onboard the same thing.

Archived