Sailonline World Race 2011-2012 - Leg 1

SloopJohnB

Sailonline World Race 2011-2012 - Leg 1

The first in this 9 leg race across the globe. Leg 1: A race from Alicante to Cape Town across 6500nm in a VO70. Fair Winds challengers! Race #279 NOR / POLAR. WX Updates: 0430 / 1030 / 1630 / 2230. RANKING: Ocean/SYC/SOL WorldRace

Race starts: Nov 05th 13:00 Registration will open soon

Capture1.JPG

Capture.JPG

For anyone who is entering could you please let me know your details of your username and so on so I can update our virtual progress with the actual race fleet. I liked how we did it with the coastal so were going to have another crack at it.

Im doing it, boat name is Bsailor, mightn do to well as i have exams till the 12th, but after that ill have to play catch up. Have gotten the hang of the programme and am doing th other race which is currently running as a practice

Im doing it, boat name is Bsailor, mightn do to well as i have exams till the 12th, but after that ill have to play catch up. Have gotten the hang of the programme and am doing th other race which is currently running as a practice

Thanks. im in the same boat as you with the study, but the beauty of these big ocean races is that you dont have to check them every 3 hours, so we should be able to do allright. if the wind doesnt change for several days you may only need to check it once a day which would be awesome for us.

We have bottles of Mount Gay Rum up for grabs for this event. Just message me your boat name once you have registered and your in the running for the rum. good luck everyone.

I'll be there... NZL_benny14

I'm not on your list SJB!

I am quite particular whos on my list benny. :wink:

Maybe it should be updated for this race.

SOL name

crew name

SOL password

Mob number

email

I found the last list issued.

Capture.JPG

and bring out the old NZL rules

Capture1.JPG

I'm back :twisted: :thumbup:

You got me plugged in SJB or do we need a details refresh?

Nothings changed that I can think of.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Who the f*ck is 'Exploding Teardrop' and just what were they smoking when they registered? Love it :lol: :lol:

Hi YY ;)

Just finished 159 / 359 in the other race on SOL

ran argound about 3 times, and with this course trying to use the auto pilot was a little difficult to short tack up the harbour, currently 120/280 in the practice VO race, but spent a bit of time just mucking around seeing how the boat performed on the different angles to see how much perofrmance loss tacking and stuff causes. Should be a good race

I've just had my user name changed to NZL_NevP and am registered for the race.

Rigger, all I did was send a request to crew@sailport.se asking nicely to have my name changed and it was done overnight. I got the address from the SOL forums where there have been a few requests for name changes.

who was it that organised getting the crew players names changed so we had the NZL_ in the front - was that you Paul?

Makes it easier to track each other.

Yes Indeed. We were the first to get 'organised" into a united NZL_* team and may I say, much to the annoyance of all the Europeans. It was hard initially to get the changes through.

Several tried to copy and the "ybw" are from yachting boating world mag / form readers.

The advantages of a smaller country where a lot of us sail against and with each other, or at least mutually we know somebody who does know us both.

Further having Crew.org.nz obviously has helped a lot. (Be careful, they come and read stuff here as well :shh: but PM's are still safe if Motheship is to be believed :shifty: )

However it would be a good reason to have a "NZL_team strategy review meeting" to shake the flesh of those we don't know, like you and me :thumbup: for starters.

I still have the master spreadsheet and can add names and update details, so if everybody wants to PM me the details, it will be easy to achieve and provide each other suitable cover.

At one stage I was sailing about 12 boats, which was a real handful but interestingly, the race strategy on that occasion came down to simply a choice between two good options, with a possible 3rd choice "flyer" available.

Using the SoL Sail Planner routing was interesting and very educational. However "brainaid" Eddy had deveoped his own routing software that I believe from his comments, showed the best 10 route choices e.g. 7 routes showed west of an island, but 3 showed to go east, then he would decide upon his strategy. It obviously worked well, because he kept winning. I have not looked at his software, but possibly yachtyakka has, as he has spoken / emailed with Eddy.

Personally I found using the routing software accurate and helpful, but then after boring because the was no longer the excitement of waiting and seeing if one's SOTP systems worked better, overnight or several days.

So I still see SoL and routing software as a wonderful educational experience and wonderful preparation for ocean voyages, either racing or cruising. I have yet to go to the next level and download gibb files directly onto my PC and then use / import that weather data for course decisions, but then again I am not planning on any ocean passages within the next year. Practicing at home with real data makes a lot sense before trying to avoid cyclones / typhoons / hurricanes and tropical revolving storms whilst being tossed around in a small yacht.

Wow what a rave to answer the simple questions of getting to meet everybody interested.

WHERE :?: WHEN :?: WHAT :?: WHO :?: WHY :?:

WHERE = Westhaven area on a boat and/or the yacht clubs prices are cheaper than retail!

WHO = You when next in AKL + Me + the tentacled Ogre + + +

WHY = WHY KNOT as per above

WHAT = Mt Gay's finest. I have a hidden unopened Mt Gay Silver and coke in the car ALREADY. (KM: NO, knot that kar, de other one)

WHEN = Only problem to decide but:

Mondays = Stewart 34 W/L racing or training (we need more of that)

Tuesdays = looking good

Wednesdays = Richmond / Squadron

Thursdays = Ponsonby CC Rum Race

Friday = Squadron Rum Race / Ponsonby R&R / Richmond

Saturday = Family wedding for me this weekend + others have lawns and lotto and the big herald to read

Sunday = Club races or famdamly stuff

So Tuesday :thumbup: is good for me.

Thursdays are a good possibility but that lot on F1 pier do seem to consistently dispose of 3 Litres of rum per week easily. We won last week so there is our big bottle + others half bottles to be carefully dispensed by the young Mr Bill Miller, who still beat us over the line, yet again. :shh:

Hi Paul

Thanks for taking up the challenge to get a bunch of independent solo sailors as working group.

My details have not changed except there are more grey hairs and less grey cells. :lol:

A good group of kiwis at this stage.

Capture.JPG

Thanks SJB for the register update. This is looking like its going to be a great contest for the crew.orgers taking on the world, and I am looking forward to it. Now who out of the kiwis hasnt told us on here that they are wanting a bottle of rum :?: :?: :?: :?:

Archived