Who's to blame?

From Lat 38

Bogus Claims by Boguslaw Bob

April 28, 2010 – Coquimbo, Chile

Looks like the highly controversial sail training operation aboard the homebuilt steel cutter Columbia was a bit 'bogus' after all.

Regular readers will remember our reports on the widespread search effort for this long-overdue 45-footer, run by a Frenchman operating under a British flag off the South American Coast. That story had a happy ending two weeks ago when the boat limped into Coquimbo, Chile, more than five weeks after her scheduled arrival. She was immediately placed under investigation by both British and Chilean authorities. The Brits questioned the validity of the vessel's registry as well as owner Boguslaw 'Bob' Norwid-Niepoko's status as a certified captain (Master). Cap'n Bob may also be in trouble with Chilean authorities, for ignoring that country's stringent reporting requirements, as he did not check in when he entered Chilean waters.

Boguslaw Norwid

The Polish-born Frenchmam seems to make his own rules, sometimes at the expense of his unwitting customers.

© 2010 Richie Aeberhard

Shortly after we went to press with our report on the Columbia fiasco, we were forwarded the following report, written by an enforcement officer of the UK's

Maritime & Coastguard Agency: "The vessel was registered on the UK Small Ships Register as a pleasure yacht and did not come under UK legislation to operate as a commercial vessel. It could only operate as a leisure vessel for use of the owner, etc.The owner was shown on the UK register as Boguslaw Norwid-Niepoko at an address in Plymouth.

"Boguslaw Norwid-Niepoko does not reside in Plymouth but is apparently married to a Chilean and has a house in Chile. As the vessel has no UK contact on the registry, the MCA has removed the vessel from the UK flag.

"The maritime authorities in Chile are aware that the vessel is no longer under the UK flag and the Maritime Inspection Services have detained the vessel until such time that the vessel and owner comply with the maritime regulations.

"Information regarding the removal of the vessel from the UK registry and the detention by the maritime authority in Chile will be passed to all the MRCC's and Coastguard that were involved in the search. They will also be made aware that the skipper does not hold any UK maritime qualification or certificate of competence."

Among the general public, his operation did not become controversial due to licensing issues, however, but because he operates long-range, bluewater sailing training exercises hundreds — in fact, thousands — of miles offshore without long-range communications capabilities, and seems to have complete disregard for arriving near his published dates, or making government authorities aware that his vessel is safe when he becomes seriously overdue.

If you'd like to chime in with a well-reasoned opinion, the key questions are these: Because Columbia was involved in a commercial enterprise, should the skipper have been obligated to report his whereabouts when the trip became long overdue? Was he negligent for not attempting outside contact, knowing his clients’ families would be anxious? Should such a vessel be required to carry some type of long-range communications device when operating offshore?

- latitude / at

Today's Lat 38

More on Bogus Bob

May 5, 2010 – Southampton, UK

The extent some people will go to in perpetrating a fraud never ceases to amaze us. Take, for example, the case of Boguslaw 'Bob' Norwid, who is now the focus of scrutiny by the maritime authorities of several nations.

Regular readers will recall our recent reports on the widespread search for Norwid's sail training vessel Columbia — supposedly a British-flagged vessel — which ended last month when she limped into Coquimbo, Chile, nearly six weeks behind schedule. She had been completely incommunicado throughout her 86-day offshore voyage, which caused great concern among relatives of the three paying Yachtmaster's course candidates on board, and led to both government and media scrutiny of Norwid and his operation.

We've yet to hear the result of the Chilean government's investigation of Norwid's activities, but British authorities have made it perfectly clear that Norwid had no business operating as a commercial UK vessel or operating Royal Yachting Association (RYA) Yachtmaster courses. Enforcement Officer David Lee of Britain's Maritime & Coastguard Agency explains: "SS Columbia has never been registered as a 'commercial vessel', and by taking fee-paying crew, the owner has breached legislation made under the Merchant Shipping Act 1995.

"From what I have learned, this vessel did not carry a liferaft or minimum LSA (SOLAS lifesaving gear). . . In addition, the skipper does not appear to have any UK or equivalent certificates of competence. Former crew members have said that he frequently bribes officials in South America, etc. and I have made the Chilean maritime authority aware of this. I have also informed Canadian, Australian and North American maritime authorities, including USCG. His bonafides are doubtful and the French (Norwid claims to be a French citizen) are aware of his actions."

According to past clients, Norwid has been operating under shady circumstances for years and has allegedly also given out phony Yachtmaster's certifications. It now looks as though his operation may finally be shut down. In the meantime, this whole fiasco should serve as a strong warning to all who seek crew positions — whether paying for sail training or not — to carefully scrutinize the equipment and credentials of a boat's operator, before you step aboard. Norwid, by the way, advertises that "Beginners are preferred." And no doubt, naïve beginners are his highest preference.

- latitude / at

Without wanting to always take the trivial route:

Former crew members have said that he frequently bribes officials in South America, etc. and I have made the Chilean maritime authority aware of this.

The response to this piece of information could take a variety of forms.

Bribing officials in Latin countries is a way of life, you would end up in jail if you didn't.

I have no problem with him not using the radio, I have no problem with him taking longer than expected to arrive. I have no problem with bibing corrupt officials (they took it didn't they?). If he claimed to have quals he didn't have then he was naughty. Tut Tut.

The quality of the politicial only reflects the electorate wants, needs and wishes :?:

:idea: Perhaps we need a poll on this :?:

Oh Paul... The quality of our politicians is only what 6 or so people in each party decide to let us choose from. The electorate can only vote for what they are given, it has no say in who those choices are.

Knot tied up with any of them, can't think of one I want to tie up thinking the fun tie up and can only think of 121 of them I want to tie up then accidentally knock off a boat into deep water.

I don't particularly like getting into conspiracy and religous conspiracy theories. There can be as much, if not more crap amongst it all as there is possible truth. But I do wonder what "higher and darker powers" could be at play sometimes.

One thing that can be seen as true...to a point....is by looking back at history, we can see much of the possible future. Many of the nasty leaders in History and Hitler probably being one of the key ones, is that the way to power is to simplify the people. Take away their knowledge and you don't have anyone that can argue against them. So he removed the Books of knowledge. It was a way of dumbing down the population. And a dumb population was easier to lead and lead into war. The same examples are seen in communism, but they have the added problem of open propaganda. We in the Western world have propaganda too, but it is more under cover or subliminal. If you dumb down the population, then it is easier to get them to work in the "salt mines". You can't argue against the establishment if you don't realise there is a point to argue. It is also like the boiling the Frog in the water thing. It seems that peopole will often just live life in some lame boring way, if they don't realise there is a better more exciting life that can actually be lived.

Now in saying that, I don't think our NZ leadership purposely sets out to do that. I don't think they are evil from the getgo. (although I wonder if Hitler started out to want to rule the world ;-) But I think our leadership and the leadership of other countries get easily lead in several ways. One is subliminally by what is happening in the world and the desire to see NZ survive. But the other is via pressure from other nations in the view of trading. We do easily sell our countries Sole for some small return I think.

These reasons are why everyone on crew tends to have the same like mind. We all tend to be well educated (maybe not just from school) but we all know a bigger world. We all have big dreams and want ot explore life. It is also why we all tend to agree when some political view is raised and think :wtf: when we see something that doesn't ring right in our heads.

If you read up on German history you will find that Hitler arrived at a very opportune time, Germany perceived itself as being very harshly treated Post WW1 by the Versailles treat, the conditions of which were impossible to meet, He did a lot of stuff building housing and roads (autobahns etc) which gave the population their pride back. Most of those jobs were working for the state or the local councils, from there it wasn't very hard to keep the populace in line, conform and your job is safe, ask questions or don't join the brown shirts and you might not have a job tomorrow. The formula works as well today as it did then, just look at Venezuela, using the naughty USA as the big fear on the horizon.

I remember posting something about this "Bogus Law" fella somewhere else on another forum (sorry Squid.. there are some but NOT AS GOOD! :-)

As I understand it, the ship (at the time?) was a registered British vessel so even in international waters is subject to the laws of that country (in foreign waters subject to both! The country of registration and host country). The real question isn't in not maintaining contact with shore (or attempting to) but did his actions (or lack of) put the lives of others in DANGER. This is called (willful) reckless endangerment even though they all made it back safely to shore, if it could be proved that for whatever reason, he KNOWINGLY is responsible for a life threatening situation, then he can be prosecuted.

(example; putting a loaded firearm in a vehicle and it discharges narrowly missing someone). I am sure Chile would extradite his arse to Britain to face charges but have any been laid? This event happened quite some time ago as there has been nothing on-line about it since?

Archived