B) euro 8 - 12,01m to 14m;

c) euro 10 - 14,01m to 17m;

d) euro 30 - 17,01m to 24m;

e) euro 90 - 24,01 to 34m;

f) euro 207 - 34,01m to 44m;

g) euro 372 - 44,01m to 54m;

h) euro 521 - 54,01m to 64m;

I) euro 703 - above 64m

What a turn off for cruisers - the Med is beginning to price itself out of the means of the average cruiser ... anchor in a secluded bay on the Croatian coast and get a dinghy pull up demanding a tax as it is their families land and under jurisdiction...Turkish authorities demanding you have meter readers on your holding tanks and charging you a tax for the amount of waste you create while in their waters ..etc etc

Yep taxing tourists will help! :-/

Well, to be fair they're taxing boat owners ... its just that visiting boat owners get taxed as well as the locals. Still doesn't give you (along with your money) much of an incentive to visit in your yacht though does it.

It does give them a chance to generate a little more income and possibly avoiding having to address the debaucherous excesses of their own government. Didn't you know that taxing the rich is always much better than fiscal responsibility??

Didn't you know that taxing the rich is always much better than fiscal responsibility??
2 Davids and now a Grinna lining up to lead the Labour party I see ;)

Average cruiser 50ft +/- a little so NZ$20 a day. Knot that bad really considering the alternative like the value of YOUR house dropping 25-50%. Even us yachties now have to help save the world from the inept politicians you keep voting for.

Average cruiser 50ft +/- a little so NZ$20 a day. Knot that bad really

$600 per month, your average cruiser lives on $2k per month +/- a bit, so, actually quite significant.

I suppose it is really for some cruisers Mr Squid but times change sadly. But then many cruisers spend a mother-load more so it's all relative to a degree.

As opposed to the ones you don't keep out by not voting?
We have to start somewhere. It's you that do that are on the way out, it's us that don't who are on the ascendancy. Hence I'm right and you're wrong :P :lol: :lol:

So the fisherman who goes out and catches anchovies to pack in salt and sell to the world as a product of Italia now has to pay a tax to use a boat to earn the country export funds and reputation overseas??

Meanwhile the Italian pollies are living it up large with models and prostitutes and all that crap (don't think Burlesconi was the only one dipping into that pot).

Yeah, that sounds like a great system.

It's called "Stringendo Cannucce"

Molto intelligente Signor Wheels!! Lo non sapevo che parlava l'Italiano. Purtroppo o solo parlo un po l'Italiano e non molto bene ma provo.

Sounds like a re-hash of the infamous Muldoon boat tax.. That was a really smart tax as well KM.. How many good businesses did it wipe off the map?? Fuckwits.
It's nothing like that at all and it took out no or next to no businesses as it was so short lived. That tax didn't cost business it cost the punters and, like the Aussie GST system, was easily fiddled with in a semi-legal way. I was working at a sparmakers at the time and the day that tax came in we were told by the boss we now no longer made yacht masts and now only made Caravan TV aerial support posts and flag poles. Yacht masts = 40% tax, TV supports/flag poles = 0% tax. Thems the days people were also walking into sailmakers with a 3" x 3" bit of sail cloth and saying 'repair this please'. New sail = tax, repairs = no tax.

Go camping in most places here and you pay per day. Use our skys and you pay. All but recreational boats pay to use any of our waters. Everyone pays to use the roads. It's knot like we don't have a very similar thing here and if you have seen a few reports/reviews popping out in the last couple of years there are some who want NZ boaters to pay more.

Sure it's knot a good thing if you are a budget end cruiser but it is the way the world is going sadly so the Italy thing shouldn't be a big surprise..... nor all the other countries that will follow Italy's lead.

Sounds like a re-hash of the infamous Muldoon boat tax.. That was a really smart tax as well KM.. How many good businesses did it wipe off the map?? Fuckwits.
It's nothing like that at all and it took out no or next to no businesses as it was so short lived. That tax didn't cost business it cost the punters and, like the Aussie GST system, was easily fiddled with in a semi-legal way. I was working at a sparmakers at the time and the day that tax came in we were told by the boss we now no longer made yacht masts and now only made Caravan TV aerial support posts and flag poles. Yacht masts = 40% tax, TV supports/flag poles = 0% tax. Thems the days people were also walking into sailmakers with a 3" x 3" bit of sail cloth and saying 'repair this please'. New sail = tax, repairs = no tax.

Go camping in most places here and you pay per day. Use our skys and you pay. All but recreational boats pay to use any of our waters. Everyone pays to use the roads. It's knot like we don't have a very similar thing here and if you have seen a few reports/reviews popping out in the last couple of years there are some who want NZ boaters to pay more.

Sure it's knot a good thing if you are a budget end cruiser but it is the way the world is going sadly so the Italy thing shouldn't be a big surprise..... nor all the other countries that will follow Italy's lead.

What a load of twaddle. Every second "history"of a boatbuilder or designer reads: "But then cam Muldoons boat tax, and the business had to close"....

Also there are far more budget cruisers in the med than rich bastards. This is just madness. Did I say KM for PM once? Forget it. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

KM won't miss your vote Smithy, but you will miss his!!

Better scheme would be for nations to charge ONLY Italians 10 times that rate in their waters.

Same to other countries.

That way it will be come ridiculous in a very short time.

Perhaps go back to making the cruising "really attractive" by giving overseas visitors GST credit vouchers that they could use in local purchases. If they were in minimum $100 vouchers, then a minimum purchase would be $667. So it would apply to all provisioning and R&M costs. NZ Govt will still make money from extra PAYE and Income Tax from increased business. Then cruisers may well stay longer in NZ and therefore spend MORE locally, visit more places and so help the local businesses with more food, drink and tourist sales volumes.

Its a long way to NZ at the bottom of the world, so lets reward those who venture so far south.

Of course any "lost or unused" vouchers are really free money for the govt.

Yes it could be fiddled, but then with increased volume of $sales, so what :?: The cost of the FREE GST money would be "advertising NZ" very cheaply.

Forgeries are possible, but then again I am about to print a new run of $20 notes for my Christmas shopping. Anybody want some run off at the same time, usual price = 1 Mt Gay for a sheet of 20 x NEW $20 notes. :thumbup:

Go camping in most places here and you pay per day.

Park your boat in a marina and you pay, but when someone gets off a plane we don't immediately sock them $20/day for the priviege of simply existing.

What a load of twaddle. Every second "history"of a boatbuilder or designer reads: "But then cam Muldoons boat tax, and the business had to close"....

Also there are far more budget cruisers in the med than rich bastards. This is just madness. Did I say KM for PM once? Forget it. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

It's possible some did close but I sure don't remember any significant clean out of the industry, surly nothing like what's been happening over the last 1 or 2 years and what I'm pretty sure we will see happen next year. No way in hell did every second 'whatever marine' close due to that tax.

As for the budget cruisers, costs go up everywhere often. If you can't afford it don't eat it, if you can't afford it don't buy it, if you can't afford to use the Suez don't use it, if you can't afford $20 a day don't go to Italy. Sort of like if you can't afford a E50 buy a R40..... or for some of us poor non-oil industry related employed people, a little R930. I'm sure there are some who bitch every time Smithy gets a pay rise as it costs them more to fill their stink boats.

Are you Mr Smithy willing to have no more pay rises (which could be also said as 'millions of Italians pay higher mortgage rates') so the stink boaters (read - cruisers) can have cheaper fuel (read as - cruisers don't pay $20 a day)? That's what we are talking here, it's knot a punitive thing aimed at cruisers, it's a by-product thing aimed at saving the Italian people from huge cost increases.

Knot so much 'simply existing' Squid. They are using a resource, to a degree. Hey, I'm knot one who thinks it's a good idea but I am one that seems to realise sh*t like this happens and will become more common and there's feck all me or you can do about it bar just knot use it.

NZ is different as we are a boating nation in which a massive number have boats, far far more proportionally then Italy, so expect to use our water free, which it appears we do but in reality we don't. And even here a cruiser is seen by many as a 'rich prick' so with the tiny numbers it'll affect in Italy I'd expect a tax like that is nothing in their eyes.

Paul - cruisers come to NZ and can get a TIE (temporary import exemption) and if they have one of those they can buy a lot of stuff GST free. That's been around for a long time. A few years back they said they were stopping it but the power of the NZ marine lobby got them to reconsider and hold the status quo. But remember the NZ marine lobby would be far far larger proportionally than the Italian one would be.

Summery - I don't think the tax is a good idea either but then it is the way the world is going and at the end of the day the impact of putting it on will affect a few 100 people. The impact of knot putting it on may affect millions.

Archived