vee belt repair

58ft steel ketch from the board of Pugh. About 8-9 knots if you want to push it, 10 if you fang the bitch. Easy 6 knots without sweating and don't mind a bit of a bumpy ride. Mind you a 510 Perkins swinging a 48" prop does help with that :lol:

My little boat probably averaging 4-4.5kts hard on in big waves and 25kts or at least that's what the average was in a Simrad last year in crap like that. The waves just kill us badly.

There ya go, one motored and one sailed.

[edit] the ketch has one of those multi-part V belt things Slacko mention on it's anchor winch. Very clever bit of gear and almost a 'must have' for a cruising boat I'd think. Any length you like in seconds or as close as.

Well Knot me,if those are the speeds you are able to make towards your destination you are one hell of a sailor.The IP380 would do about 5 knots about 45 degree off the wind.So it might seem we were getting to our destination at about 2 1/2 knots but we were also making some leeway.I agree it is a pretty mediocre performance but I insist it is pretty average for a "crab crusher" type cruiser.

The speeds I mentioned were through the water so VMG would be less except on the ketch as she's motoring hard out there, sails like crap hard on :)

And I think my little yacht is probably faster and sail a lot higher than a 38ft cruiser most of the time anyway. Just a nature of the beast thing.

But pleased to know I'm knot old as I don't mind having greenies fall on me even if I'd prefer they don't. The 1st one is always an arse but after that it doesn't much matter.

And don't know about being a hell of a sailor but do know I've made some sailors think they are in hell. But that's usually because most of the after guards are stupid in tactics, slow in manoeuvres and just that damn ugly the boat's going slower than it should. Don't feck with the foredeck brotherhood babe :)

So where ya going in the cruiser nonam?

The owner was thinking of sailing down to the Cooks but I think he is going to put it off untill next year.Maybe I can find something affordable here to sail home?

isn't being able to sail off a lee shore in heavy weather a Cat1 requirement?

I look at some of the heavier cruisers with baggy sails and seriously doubt they could preform that feat.

Strangely enough only multihulls have to:

"7.4 (M) A multihull yacht shall possess sufficient

windward ability and assurance of coming

about in bad conditions to enable her to tack

away from a lee shore or other extensive

obstruction. Each owner should assure

his/her yacht’s weatherliness by means of

appropriate equipment, arrangements and

handling procedures."

:?

Archived