Winter Series

johnMi

It all seems very low key to me leading in to what has always been the biggest and most important Multihull racing series each year.

A few years ago we had 32 boats racing in at least 1 race of the series and over 20 boats in at least 3 races.

What is going on ?

I'm just over;

Every week wondering what crew will turn up

$1000 a race on damage, wear and tear and hull cleaning

Having to sail then rush off to a gig (I prefer Sundays for winter racing)

Getting cold (I turned 50 last year and have a back full of metal)

Paying Auckland City Council $400 a week marina rental while the cnuts fight me tooth and nail to avoid paying the $500k I've had to spend on my house due to their incompetence.

I'm looking to spend a bit more time at the beach with a couple of little projects to keep me busy and the odd sail/social race with friends.

This Way Up is in for the winter series, looking forward to being back out there again.

I quite enjoy saturday sailing, as you dont have to get away early from work to get there, and afterwards you can have a good night without having to work the next day!!

see you all on the start line!

Well Clive, if the provisional results are right 1st round to me :twisted: :twisted:

The boat felt fantastic, and thanks to Bart and Chris (and Robin) from NZ Rigging, as well as Rodney and Graeme from Evolution Sails, especially Rodney for coming sailing with us today.

One thing has become evident, as things load up things break. Need to fix the traveller car, and outhaul after todays escapade. I guess there will be more to come.

Nice one John! :D :clap:

We had a great time. Made a few mistakes but did better for our first race than I thought we would. Lost the 2:1 on the main halyard but it stayed up so we thought stuff it lets carry on…

Hey was that you out on Sunday going past Motuihe? I had a blast to Oneroa. Some good breeze on the way back.

Yes it was,I thought it was you, then I saw your mast (you're right) and knew it was you.

It was a fantastic day, had two guys over from LA, so could really show off the city of Sails.

Also Creepy slinking around, no sails up, shame :oops: :oops:

Haha the creepy went out as the sexiest support boat for the piedy nationals! Took the bean bags and a few of the girls out with a loud stereo you dont always need sails!! But did sail back to westhaven in the arvo...

A very sad day. Can't remember how many winter series I/we have done and this is the first time Sundreamer was not there. Sadly missed, and hope this is not a permanent arrangement.

A very sad day. Can't remember how many winter series I/we have done and this is the first time Sundreamer was not there. Sadly missed, and hope this is not a permanent arrangement.

I agree.....

Now tell us about the start of yours again..... ;) I think you scared the crawler out of the creepy!!

Our start - WELL.......

We were the most leeward boat with no starting room - so every other boat in the fleet was in the wrong not going up when called - in my slightly biased option anyway. So at 23 knots and heading for the stern of the Creepy Crawler that looked to be able to do 2 knots fully powered up, we went to leeward of him - only problem was the start mark and the dolphin striker.

Those marks disappear between the hulls and out the back really quickly - how we didn't pop it, I'll never know.

In retrospect - our only problem was we weren't going fast enough - could have been out of there and gone before the problem arouse. Bit like the Tardus.

Our start - WELL.......

We were the most leeward boat with no starting room - so every other boat in the fleet was in the wrong not going up when called - in my slightly biased option anyway. So at 23 knots and heading for the stern of the Creepy Crawler that looked to be able to do 2 knots fully powered up, we went to leeward of him - only problem was the start mark and the dolphin striker.

Those marks disappear between the hulls and out the back really quickly - how we didn't pop it, I'll never know.

In retrospect - our only problem was we weren't going fast enough - could have been out of there and gone before the problem arouse. Bit like the Tardus.

what is the penalty for hitting a start mark ?

The umpires made me do a 720 at the BMW at the finish line and then re finish.

Seems to me you haven't even started "The rev' if you bowled over the top of the start mark then just undertook a single turn ?

Plus what is the penalty you undertook with respect to Creepy Crawler?

are you a cheat, "The rev" ?

We saw Taiping hit the mark at the start and then do a 360 turn.

At the round table later there was some discussion about the penalty.

The answer is RRS 31.2 which provides that a boat that has broken rule 31.1 (i.e touching a starting mark) may after getting well clear of other boats ... take a penalty by promptly making one turn including one tack and one gybe.

So Taiping's turn after the start satisfied it's penalty obligations.

Didn't see CC flying a protest flag at any stage so no issue arises there.

could tp not protest the windward boat for not bringing it up at the start and forcing them into the pin?

I wasn't close enough to see .... being in irons and all 30 seconds from the start!! damn and blast! :mrgreen:

Archived