Out on the Gulf. So who is where???

wheels

We headed out yesterday, to what will be our first major trip about the Gulf. We had our first at labour weekend, but this trip we hope to explore much more. Currently in rocky bay on Waiheke. It is going to take some getting used to anchoring with lots and lots of other boats. It feels like we are in a Marina. My biggest worry is who is going to tangle with whom when it comes time to uplift anchors. I have this feeling that I maybe leaving with a small flotila following me. :wink:

Thinking of heading out to the Barrier, but also keeping an eye on the weather coming.

I have the crew flag flying, although it makes a tgerrible flapping noise, so if anyone see's nme, pop on over and "knock on the hatch".

Whats it like out there Wheels--l was leaving tomorrow but with an iffy sailing partner and the wind/rain predicted l'm considering staying at home ,much to my annoyance.

Same here, keen to know. We were going to be doing our maiden voyage over to Waiheke later this week but knot looking good now for first timers.

Wheels head over to Coromandel

Looks like easterlies for the next week so once there you will have good shelter

More Islands the the Bay of Islands and you can explore form Colville down to Manaia so easily fill in a week.

Save the barrier for outside the silly season

As for us, stuck in the cowshed but we will be out for new year

We are still in Rocky Bay and have good shelter here. It is about 15kts and gusting to 20 out there, but not ruff at all. A real good sail for anyone wanting to try. There is great shelter and plenty of room in Rocky Bay if you tuck up closer to the shore if you are small and needing good shelter.

Shanson Txt me earlier and said it is a gale in Auckland, so it might be ruffest getting out the harbour.

It should stay like it is till Thursday Evening, with wind bilding from midday'ish Thursday and maybe getting to 30kts thursday night, lots of heavey Rain. The wind will probably swing slightly more toward the north as it biulds. Although correct me if you think I am wrong, I am not up with the local bends of weather here yet.

Good idea John and its what l had intended with Te Kouma being the planned destination --however the forecasted rain (and wind ) means l will put it off to sunday or until Dianne will leave the dock !!!

Pity about the cows needing to be looked after ==l suppose this is so you can do the Round New Zealand in Feb/march !!

Thats correct Andrew, for some reason staff seem to want time off every year ?

Wheels your in a good spot when you've done Rocky try Green Bay or Shark Bay Ponui

Am firmly anchored at 36° 36' 12.83" S, 174° 48' 7.30" E. Neither wind nor rain will cause us any grief. No boats can drag onto us and I've looked outside - flat calm, not a ripple on the surface.

Off East Coast Bays heading for Kawau, it's about 15 knots from 040, 1-1.5mtr sea, boatspeed round 9 knots.

Nice sailing, :thumbup:

Bad Kitty - know a Cat thinking of going to the Barrier from Kawau tomorrow - have suggested he should think about going up North instead -would imagine it would be bit of a bash otherwise - does it look that way to you - bearing in mind the wind will prob build?

Well predict wind has the breeze at around 20 knots tomorrow from 050, 10 degrees more east in it, so it will be a bit lumpy especially past the bottom of Little Barrier.

If it's got boards and can lay Barrier it's worth a look, if it can't stay up that high then turn left!

We'll stay at Kawau tonite then keep going North in the morning.

Log just clicked over 12,000 miles, 1 week over 5 years old, that's gotta be worth pulling the top off a new bottle of Mt Gay tonite!

Happy Xmas all you wind bludging crew scum :D

We'll stay at Kawau tonite then keep going North in the morning.

Log just clicked over 12,000 miles, 1 week over 5 years old, that's gotta be worth pulling the top off a new bottle of Mt Gay tonite!

Happy Xmas all you wind bludging crew scum :D

Are you going to try and do it ine one hit 2moro and get to the Bay before the rain and wind gets up?

Congrats on the 12K milestone -you deserve a rum for that....! :)

We moved across the bay this morning and their was Marshall Law anchored. We dropped anchor, he saw us, pulled his anchor up and left :wink: :lol:

Smithy had to go back to Auckland. Pity we didn't realise he was here last night.

Whangaroa Harbour. Overcast but warm enough. Windyyyyyy and has that very yucky feel about it i.e it's about to piss down large.

But the burgers at Lukes Cafe are still 100% to notch notch. The fact the cafe is joined to the pub has nothing at to do with it..... yeah right ;)

Man are they old school up here. The flashest anchor in the marina is a Delta..... and they wonder why the drag all the time. Bunch of banjo players :)

Found a interesting boat ticked up in the industrial area of Keri yesterday... all one street of it. Anyone up there got a 30-34fter, dark blue hull, white topside and what appears to be a canting keel lying on the ground next to it? Couldn't get that close.... razor wire and me don't like each other.

Sitting in North Cove Kawau. Left on Christmas eve. Had family up for a few days. Cracking weather and sheltered. Been eating scallops and snapper along with the left over ham. Wll hang tight for this next whether front to go through. Wont be much fun with 2 little kids on a small boat in the rain but I'm sure we will come up with something.....

Archived