End of Cruising

How's this for a good number.

In relation the the TIE's I mentioned above that cruzers can get. Got one today for a boat we are doing some rope work for and if they don't leave NZ before a date, decide to leave the boat in NZ or don't get an extension to the TIE they will have to front up for Duty and GST.

The amount is a bit over 4.3 million dollars.

And you thought paying $23.57 in GST for the new mainsheet block was big :lol: :lol:

Hang on a mo. Assuming that boat stayed here and the Duty/Gst was paid, I wonder where the hell does that money go?? An interesting point and lets expand that a little.

A new boat arrives in NZ. Say a 50fter which could easily be in the 700-800K area, we'll use 800K all up.

800K means that's around 150K in Duty and GST.

Say 10 of those a year and that's quite possible at the moment as there are a lot coming in. 10 x 150K = 1.5mil.

Add in all the other boats arriving, a couple of 70's and a good number sub 50 plus a huge amount of pre-loved usually out of the US. Hmmmm.... That means the boating industry and boaters of NZ could easily be paying a hell of a lot of millions in duty/GST on import alone leaving out any local shopping, which most do as well.

My understanding is that they were quite reasonable with deadlines ..as long as there was a good reason for granting an extension.... but probably like most Govt departments (in particular Immigration!) imagine depends on who you are dealing with at the time .... :?: :x :lol:

Archived