Running costs contributions from Crew

tennisraindelay

I just like swimming, AA!

Was a good couple of seasons indeed. I wasn't exactly a world-class bowman but we had fun and didn't break too much gear and placed well. And I learned a bit as well. :D

No Mark I'm sure you will take great delight in proving me wrong. I meant in general terms overall, we were consistently the best boat in our division, and although racetrack hates my boat and you have programmed an algorithm in to make it look bad no matter what, we on the boat remember winning and the boats name is engraved on the trophy for all time. But go ahead Mark, don't let me get in your way!

An you mean Bob Yes I think they did beat us in an earlier series but your records should also record the Twilight series win. Or is Racetrack forgetting that bit?

A few seasons go we were doing the winter series on the Ant and two venerable crew.org members here were on my crew. AC and our very own Ogre (or DT as we still call him) Without fail the crew turned up each race day, early and just got going. Either the day before or early on race day AC & Ogre would get in the water with me to clean the bottom. If I remember right there were a couple of times I turned up just as they were finishing - they came down early. Just top shelf stuff. Another crew member lost a winch handle over the side of the boat and when he turned up to the next race he had a new one in his hand. I hadn't expected it, nor asked him to - he just did it.

I haven't had a crew as good before or since - in terms of their total commitment to keeping the boat in first class racing shape. We didn't always agree with each other but in the end we won that series.

Crew have moved on (or work Sundays now :evil: ) and I've been sailing pitchforks anyway. But I have a great memory of those two seasons when we were unbeatable. Teamwork commitment above all else.

Now that IS teamwork.

I have only ever raced on any boat other than my own once or twice, so have really never been in this situation. But I do understand that you become sometimes inordinately fond of a vessel that you push past your own boundaries. I know that when I feel this way, time energy and money are no object. I guess that, combined with the fact that you are just a good sort AA, created that team environment.

Shame that dirty four letter word got in the way of all that bonding :P

Archived