Young 99 vrs Young 11

smithy09

couple of y11s have runners for forestay tension and a top mast backstay but swept back spreaders. force eleven has the most gucci set up though, not recommended for tin sticks.

dont think wal owned jesse james but hes been on a few boats....

Double N has running backs as do most Y11's so that just goes with the territory of a fractional rig. Oracle nearly had me cause a nasty burn with with my cup of coffee with his post but there were plenty of truth seekers out there. We did see the back of her in the RNI a couple of times and very close at night a couple of times but managed to wriggle free at the end of every leg. Maybe it was his watch those couple of times when they got in front which has clouded his memory and sleep deprivation got the better of him at the end of the leg. All in all it was a close race and we could see each other nearly the whole way. Fun racing

This mornings burn by Mark was a ripper and since I've been boat shopping all day I've been wondering where that went. Got home to find

Smithy, if you can afford it you may wish to go up another level in turns of class - Ross 40's!

A great threat indeed and then to see this one from a Younger

But in general a Ross 40 would get my vote too and "class" is a good word.

Just gotta make you love humanity doesn't it :lol: :lol:

I hope your shopping goes better than my Smithy. 3 hours of driving to get there, someone covered the road in busted and bloody cows, only to find a pig rooter, using the immortal words of that great but occasionally totally mad Poet, Mr Wolf.

One word of advice - Don't believe photos or the phrase 'with a small touch up here and there....'

smithy it was me that owned JJ when it was last here, hence my unbiased comments! Wal sailed many miles with us hence his state of mind...

The new guy who owns JJ has renamed it JJ much to my pleasure and is intending to do the melbourne - Osaka after a refit. Hopefully he will report in here once he gets closer to the time so we can keep up with his progress.

There are many versions of the original Ross 40. Jesses was the last of them, then cam pretty Boy Floyd and a new chapter..

guess i should reply....

thanks for the indepth analysis on oracle's results against all other models......i think...

yes i am getting old and senile...so all those comments could be correct.....

interstingly though ....y11's beat us more than y99's.....so i guess that answers the question of which is quicker...(not Oracle)..

which is why i ducked for cover ....was a bit tounge in check...

would also be interesting to see how those stats stack up after Oracle was upgraded 2 years ago now...new rig and keel...(leaving out the first 6 of the 8 years i have owned her...

looking forward to the RNI even more now....will try and make those passing moves stick this time...(and will have a better co pilot..!!

Aha! :D :D The plot thickens.. I am beginning to understand... Yup, well I was sold on them before I even saw your post floatsome so it was like a red flag to a Bull!

I really liked JJ and it was also my intention to rename her back if I ever got to buy her. I just added up what needed doing to her (she was sound but needed a birthday) and I really would have wanted to convert the spreaders, so it just added up to too many dollars. Still a great buy for the guy who bought her, and I still lust after a Ross 40, but you have to cut your cloth and I don't want to be working out here forever to pay for her!!!

Urban Cowboy steered like a Laser downwind, and although I only sailed on her the once it left a lasting impression. You just keep praying for more wind!! You could point up pretty high with the masthead kite and it gave you heaps of notice when it was going to spin out and you just waggled the tiller and pulled it down on the face of a wave, going fast. I missed the signs a couple of times, :sick: :sick: but she was very easy to steer.

You are a lucky man to have owned a boat like that!!

Double N has running backs as do most Y11's so that just goes with the territory of a fractional rig.

Yeah but you don't NEED them all the time. In line spreaders on a fractional rig make me nervous, especially with lack of experience on my part!

I hope your shopping goes better than my Smithy. 3 hours of driving to get there, someone covered the road in busted and bloody cows, only to find a pig rooter, using the immortal words of that great but occasionally totally mad Poet, Mr Wolf.

One word of advice - Don't believe photos or the phrase 'with a small touch up here and there....'

I hear you KM. "Pig Rooter" That's a phrase I haven't heard since my Paremata P Class days. A Kiwi Classic!

OK so you have Ziggy + a 9 yr old both Opti Sailing so you are pretty much fully committed at least one day if not both days every weekend from October to May. I think you should be looking at a centre console RIB that you will actually get a chance to use.

If it's the maintenance you are keen on I have plenty you could help with that I can't seem to keep up with between Opti sailing.

Hahaha. You are right infinity. Do I detect a Murray's bay accent there?? Remember I work 6 weeks on, 6 weeks off, and their Mum does have them some times, so not 100% comitted. Also I don't mind winter cruising or racing. After 3 years of Northern Hemisphere sailing, a Kiwi winter is a doddle!

Already got the centre console RIB.... Won't be selling that either!

I know that feeling with the Opti's too, have already traded the keeler for a sports boat and a rib.

With 3 kids in Opti's pretty much every weekend between September and May is accounted for, Wednesday nights are limited to every fortnight in order to take a turn delivering them to coaching, and the winter sports starts at 11:30 now make the 1:15 start of the winter series a rush.

Still, all the crew problems should be out the window in a few years time...

I know that feeling with the Opti's too, have already traded the keeler for a sports boat and a rib.

With 3 kids in Opti's pretty much every weekend between September and May is accounted for, Wednesday nights are limited to every fortnight in order to take a turn delivering them to coaching, and the winter sports starts at 11:30 now make the 1:15 start of the winter series a rush.

3 kids in Optis? Ouch! I only have 1, but next season it becomes 2... Big committment, and that's without winter training, although we might have to have a look at that...

And two years after that, it will be: "No offence Dad but is it OK if we take the boat out without you?".

It's the law of the jungle JK, there can be only one helmsman...

And two years after that, it will be: "No offence Dad but is it OK if we take the boat out without you?".

It's the law of the jungle JK, there can be only one helmsman...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

would also be interesting to see how those stats stack up after Oracle was upgraded 2 years ago now...new rig and keel...

Feeling guilt ravaged at picking on Oracle yesterday, updated numbers with his winning percentage in the last two years, then for all racing as per yesterday.

Peppermint Planet 32.00% 20.32%

Young 11 22.22% 18.44%

Young 99 46.15% 33.33%

Young 88 59.42% 47.84%

Ross 930(m) 22.86% 15.54%

Ross 930 90.00% 48.05%

Farr 1020 46.98% 29.61%

Of course, the post wouldn't be complete if I didn't ask the question, anyone else noticed one class seems to have really dropped the ball keeping Oracle in his rightful position of Abject subservience?

Hmmm, there is a sense that you are trying to make amends by sharing the love around, Markm.

Predictably as you say there is one class not pulling its weight. However - and I know it doesn't say Data Lord on my business card - there is another class, dare I say a leading class of one-design boats, sitting uncomfortably close and separated by only [looks carefully at calculator] 0.21% from the aforementioned other class.

If I may offer a personal perspective, it was better when you were just kicking the sh*t out of Oracle. He didn't seem to mind either.

Not quite that bad Murky, in semi English not quite winning 1 race in 2 for that leading class, as distinct from another class only winning 1 in 10.

As observed, being a new age type person I'm believe in being an equal opportunities back stabber, I fear before too much longer someone will stab back with a vengance and I'll slither off and hide under a rock somewhere for a year or two.

Archived