2012 8.5 Nationals

Hurts

Great day out there, we (stealth mission) were 5 min late for the first start, hoisting the new race sails for the first time ever on the way out (been a big week in the loft..) But managed to overtake a few. The cousre was just a short beat then flat run out to the wwlw race course in about 5-8kts.

2nd race was a wwlw, we got a good start and lead up the beat first around the top mark. The wind really shut down and the race turned into a bit of a shitfight drifer with patchy breeze and a course change. We ended up 5th and were happy. Last race we had reasonable breeze 5-8kts. Had a good race with borderline and deeds but they just had an edge on us and we got 3rd.

Stoked with how the boats going and I think Sam is really happy. The new sails were mint. Had a great sail back home in 8-12kts. The boat felt awesome.

Cool - thanks for the report, Glad SM is going well. According to the prov result you got 2nd in the last race but then Borderline doesn't exist in that result so I'm guessing the results must be extremely provisional at this point. A little more breeze and rain in the next couple of days coming up...

How on earth can they get Whio's handicap so wrong!

Whio's been racing consistently for forever, and they get given that handicap?

Take a breath John, I think you will find it is a typo :oops:

Great fun out there today on the CC until we broke the water stay T bar fitting, it appears to have sheard off.

There were some great moments with stories of crew overboard, shreddered kites and some very close calls.

Great to see such fun close racing in the 8.5's

Yup great action out there, shame both the man overboard and shreaded kite storys were from us! Another night in the loft....

Had a great send home, 2 sail reaching at 20kts the whole way. The boat is awesome, we just gotta learn how to sail it and get some systems and modes sorted.

What a day....great harbour race to the party...

Sorry to hear about the kite Josh, you had better fill us in on the man overboard recovery!

Scary day out there today. Gusting 25+, plenty of carnege.we had the main hullway out at times today. We blew the kite block off the masthead and trashed the kite under the boat again today. Lucky sam knows a friendly sailmaker....

Real bummer for clive who capsized at the bottom mark. I hope they get tigre back in one piece and that no one was hurt. They all looked safe when we sailed close.

Its been a LONG motor back iinto it, we didn't want to sail as we were unsure of what damage was done to the top of the mast and exit slot up there, bean rock peaking at 37kts, the 8hp choppong wood at times....

Congrats to borderline who I think did enough to win it.

Scary day out there today. Gusting 25+, plenty of carnege.we had the main hullway out at times today. We blew the kite block off the masthead and trashed the kite under the boat again today. Lucky sam knows a friendly sailmaker....

Real bummer for clive who capsized at the bottom mark. I hope they get tigre back in one piece and that no one was hurt. They all looked safe when we sailed close.

Its been a LONG motor back iinto it, we didn't want to sail as we were unsure of what damage was done to the top of the mast and exit slot up there, bean rock peaking at 37kts, the 8hp choppong wood at times....

Congrats to borderline who I think did enough to win it.

Bugger .. Sounds like a pretty hectic day out there.. Lets hope the mighty tiger will arise again :)

Well Rental, no typo!

I reckon anyone racing this for a handicap win should ask for their money back. this is a joke!

Congratulations Andrew, seems you guys have had a great regatta.

i had a look at the reults, and based on a few assumptions, reckon the result in the end, even if incorrectly obtained, could well be right?

I am assuming my handicap was about right, and we got third. was very close on line with whio, and therefore he should beat us on handicap. Not sure about borderline, they sailed a blinder, and won on line, so may have got the double if Hcap correct.

Either way, well done to Bordeline and Whio, both had great regattas.

There are issues, and they are being dealt with - this is not the only one. A reply and alteration will be forthcoming.

any idea when?

only way for our result to go is down... :oops:

If Racetrack was used the following results would be

Tigre 1st

Whio

Borderline

Voom

So in the end the results weren't too bad apart from the fact that Clive got dicked.

Well sailed, Clive, and Tim I didn't mean to say you didn't deserve to win.

Maybe the 8.5 committee should put forward a motion that we use Race track, at least for our nationals.

i had a look at the reults, and based on a few assumptions, reckon the result in the end, even if incorrectly obtained, could well be right?

I am assuming my handicap was about right, and we got third. was very close on line with whio, and therefore he should beat us on handicap. Not sure about borderline, they sailed a blinder, and won on line, so may have got the double if Hcap correct.

Either way, well done to Bordeline and Whio, both had great regattas.

Bugger, we dropped a place.

1st Borderline

2nd Whio

3rd Deeds

4th Voom

Well done Andy.

Trying out the race main and jib on the way to the first start wasnt ideal. (being late)

We had blocks, cleats, padeyes and cordless drill, drilbits and sika in the toolbox too!!!

no main or jib cunningham, no runners, no rig tension, no adjustable jib car position, no outhaul

no heavy air kite, no overlapper and no small jib...

we still had the stainless steel cooker and sink and some other misc cruising items on board.

three of us hadnt ever sailed together and the boat had never seen over 8 knots of breeze.

however Im really happy with the boat and really glad we did the regatta. Made the weeks of late nights leading up to the event worth it. (and years of hard work building her)

I cant believe we got a 3rd place on line on the first day! we were also coming 4th in the race before we had a man overboard (resulting in a 2nd to last after dropping the kite two handed and sailing back upwind to collect him) and coming 3rd in two races before we stredded the kite (on the second and third day) (resulting in a DNF and a last)

We learnt more about the boat in three days than a whole winter series. There is a real art to keeping her going quick, lots of trimming and crew foward/aft movement needed.

The missions for the event was to get a top 3 on line result, hit 20 knots downwind and fly the main hull upwind- plus have fun. all achieved all with flying colours, Josh, Robbie and I loved it even tho we had a terrible overall result!

The feeling of being fully powered up and the boat being rock solid is amazing. (after building her ourselves with no plans) Bring on the winter series, simrad and coastal! (after our Easter cruise)

SM.jpg

A little bit of editing and the pic really comes alive. I was impressed that you guys flew that kite considering how big it is. Youll have to give as a full write up shortly on how she races :D

Archived