Fisher 30

normrt

Has anybody any experience with a Fisher 30. I have seen one that I am interested in using as a "almost live aboard" . I am getting along in years and most of the time will be single handed. It is my intention to spend 2-3 weeks at a time cruising East and North New Zealand. I have plenty of time and I am retired but have sailed most of my life. I like the idea of a motor sailor with a pilothouse for the cruising comfort it affords however I have heard that the Fishers whilst sound and stiff like to point away from the wind :) .

Any comments that you guys can offer will be appreciated.

Are you talking the UK fisher.. long keel etc... built at Northshore in Chichester?

Built well but not energetic sailing. If you have the time then that doesn't really matter.

check out their owners club... they also did a Cat version!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIoAVio-HWbnWCji_Tr3fGnG6bvoiFwkA4qoZ_bJ9yBkgEYMML

http://www.fisherowners.co.uk

If you really are talking about the UK-originated Fisher 30 then yes they are not the best upwind boats - which isn't susprising given their lines above and below the water.

34683d1252155085-small-motor-sailer-fisher30.jpg

fisher-30-73a4b1.jpg

Although called motorsailors they are far from a 50:50 but instead much more towards motor than sail. Which is fine as they mostly come with decent sized donks and their fishing boat pedigree makes them rock solid, pretty much unbreakable, maybe over-engineered depending on your point of view.

Obviously they sail their best off the wind in a fresh breeze but in lighter winds they really don't go too well and if you are beating you might need to keep the engine ticking over just to help her get through a tack.

But for all the downside in sailing performance they are damn comfortable and stable and probably make a decent liveaboard option for it's size. They used to have a bit of a cult following in the UK (they have a kind of old world charm about them) and they used to be super-expensive, really one of the most expensive boats afloat in it's day. Very high quality of finish.

Many Thanks for you comments, exactly the boat I had in mind. I have plenty of time being retired and looking for stability rather than activity now. The Fisher 30 seems to fit my particular needs. Seems to me it is a fairly heavy displacement for there size. I really liked Ailys comet comment (what a mouthful) about "comfortable". I am not so sure about needing the iron sail to get round a corner :-) I believe they were designed with North sea weather in mind so tacking would normally have a bit of a breeze on. But NZ ?

Any ideas about maintenance cost in general respect to what might be considered standard or more usual?.

Thanks again guys, I posted in the hope that the more weathered and seasoned experience, might be out there and willing to recognize, and put in a penny worth of advice, to alleviate the concerns of an old geezer who many consider past his "use by" about to go MOB .

Seems I may be on the right track.

I believe they were designed with North sea weather in mind so tacking would normally have a bit of a breeze on. But NZ ?

I would suggest that you plan for a bit of motorsailing. They are not quick but are very good boats

You could try chatting to these guys:

http://www.fisherowners.org/

If you are retired, one look at the owners' pictures should provide reassurance that you fit the original target market for these sea-kindly vessels with wide walkaround decks and deep scuppers!

fisher-owner-association00.jpg

fisher-owner-association13.jpg

fisher-owner-association12.jpg

Another thought, not sure what your budget is (actually not even sure where you are located) but if I was in the market for a 30-40ft motorsailor type liveaboard around here I'd consider the Salar 40. This is based on the UK designed Moody (another high-quality, expensive, rock-solid cruiser) hull designed by Laurent Giles I think (or was it Angus Primrose)...?

211220213_full.jpg

Anyway, I've seen the odd Salar 40 around NZ, they are the S Hemisphere equivalent and from a similar mould to the Fisher in terms of build quality, cruising comfort etc. But they float around the $200k mark so might be a bit more than your budget? Dunno. Here's a nice example:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts-sail-boats/moored-boats/auction-461167832.htm

Salar 40's are great, my father n law has one, we call it the expedition yacht..... solid comfy and go anywhere.... with everything aboard....we have spent xmas's with 10 family aboard...

To Ailys comet; many thanks for the contact for Fisher.org in the UK; I have now become a member. I live in the Tauranga region of NZ but will be living in the Mangawhai area later this year all being well.

The Salar 40 is indeed a good option, if I had enough funds ( I felt my budget @ around $150NZ) and also forty feet may well be a little too large for me, both on handling and berthage. Funnily enough, 35 years ago I ordered a Salar 40 to be built by a Greenhithe builder. (business got in the way eventually of that)

Thanks Vagabond for the thought about a fishercat but I bet that points even worse and may be harder to find in this part of the world. Also the warning that they are slow, I suppose that's OK, the only thing about me fast now is the rate of birthdays. Also, i am in training for a mobility scooter :-)

All your kind comments have set me toward a decision. It looks like being, if I can find one, a Fisher 30 or 34. There is a F37 in AU but that's not a real option.

Great camaraderie amongst the sailing community is still with us.

Norm

Fishers do have a good reputation for being sea kindly.

The Salar 40s are on the whole very tough boats. We have three here and a couple have passed through the marina. Well built solid hulls and an all weather layout.

Price here for a second hand one around $120 K give or take.

An older style free board mid to aft with a generous upwards curve to the bow

Essentialy a centre cockpit with a solid doger. Most even have a "speedy clear"..( that spinning window that you see on trawlers)..

Quite an unusual layout aft for a CC, with deck lockers (dive tank locker or similar) behind the cockpit.

Had one here that got blown back in VERY strong winds from the prom after losing a gear box plug, with new owners...they got back fine ...

Value for money, I would go for the Salar even though I like the trawler esk design of the fisher.

I dont sell boats...I just live full time in a marina. (and help people fix them occasionaly.)

Hi Norm, with a little practice you wouldnt find handling a Salor 40 much different than the Fisher, just looking at them I would think they weigh about the same,

A mate picked up a 40 end of last year for about 70k, needs a little work but it makes the one above look way over priced,

Don't worry to much about pointing ability as no motorsailer will ever point without the donk going and if your as old as you make out sailing up wind is overrated.

Happy sailing.

Hi normrt, I'd concur with the above and give the Salars serious consideration. I doubt you'd find much practical difference between a Fisher 37 and a Salar 40 from a handling/berthing perspective.

And I reckon you'd get one for your budget of NZD$150k. They ones I've seen here have been advertised for the $200k mark but in the current climate they've sat around a long time and I have no doubt if you offered $150k cash you'd get very close to a deal.

Dont know anything of the smaller Fishers but the larger ones are great. Not so great if you want a fast sail. Wonderful live aboards. Just like the H28s you'll be looked after by your boat, not a bad thing in my book.

If you do get one and are thinking of Keeping her in Mangawhai be aware that the bar can be especially treacherous in any wind from an easterly direction, a holding tank would be a must especially given all the crap that is flying about re the sewerage system there, any boat used as a liveaboard would be under scrutiny all the time.

Marsden cove would be the nearest marina, not sure about liveaboards there tho.

Archived