KD 650

Variant

It's looking great. Nice work :thumbup:

Thanks. Hoping it works out ok. Being in Auckland has helped, I'm thankful for the help and advice I've got from some of the locals here, who have been there and done that.

Big job just completed.

I took the week off work to get the last bits done but the weather didn't help much.

Gaskrankenstation.jpg

Still no sails yet. Pretty sure I've run out of money for new ones. I'll have to get creative.

IMG_0495c.jpg

i guess a hobie 16 rig + sails would be a bit small

Designed SA is 18.6 sqm and a Hobie 16 is 20 sqm so is near enough. Lots of options for acquiring sails too.

hobie rig should be stout enough too

hobie rig should be stout enough too

I don't know what the Hobie 16 section size is - they have been used successfully on a number of small multis - the original tremolino comes to mind. Richard Woods specs a 120x80mm section for his Janus 22 cat with a similar size rig.

according to the factory a h16 mast length is 8.08m

+ weight, 18-20 kg, with fittings

over 30? years a few things have changed on them, the main being later(1986>), 'comptip' masts have 2 sheaves on the top, as the above the shroud tang they have a plastic leading edge to help prevent electrocution when raising the mast.

though a little safer, i hear they bend off at the top, affecting pointing

the earlier single big round sheave versions are all alloy

a better mast with spreaders would be a cut down f18 or tornado mast or perhaps even an old given tiger shark rig

a boomless hobie getaway rig might also be worth a look. a little shorter than the h16 but if you got both sails you'd have a furling jib

getaway-side-seabreeze.png

Did all the pics disappear from this thread too? Or is it my tablet. Was trying to show my wife vooms new neighbour.

I'm finding that problem with a lot of threads. Kinda ruins the enthusiasm when you can't see what people are talking about.

using a laptop, but can't see them from the phone either.

All the pics posted since the changeover of software should work fine, but there are over 40,000 threads in the database, I cannot check them all!

However, if you can let us know which threads are not displaying the pics, we may be able to figure out what they have in common, hopefully locate the problem, and then possibly fix the issue... 

I appreciate lack of the pics sometimes makes the posts difficult to follow. I'd like to fix the issue if it is possible within time and $ constraints. Thanks for being understanding.

A PM with a link to any threads exhibiting this behavior would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Matt

Thought I should add a new photo, in light of the old ones being missing. Probably due for an updated picture anyway.

Here is a pic of us at Kawau.

567c.jpg

And yes, just moved to Northcote. Done some cruising and boat seems to go ok. Happy with it considering the old rig and sails. Going to be nice having the boat closer to home and meeting more of my new neighbours. :)

Archived