Sign in to follow this  

NZMYC website

I took a look at the site, and functionally and graphically it appears fine. I can't speak for how well the back end works, but for the user it works how a website should.

There is often an issue with 'community' sites with updating content. There's not much that can be done other than a few good members committing to the cause :wink:

Guest Brucey

Hi Tim M, I regulary check out the new stuff on the site and think your doing a great job, please ignore the whingers and keep up the good work.

Mothership, the issue isnt the site, its the fact that some people prefer whinging to actually contributing, I found the setup just fine and when I was running it it always had the news and events up to date, new home page features every couple of weeks etc, and people still moaned that it was never updated! Ill talk to Ryan again and see if he can take it on and keep it up to date.

Not sure if we are looking at the same site? but the one at the start of this thread is completely out of date.

While it looks great, there isnt a piece of information put on there in the last 6 month that I can see.

Ther photos are 07, Results 07-09 at best and the BOI mention all 09. I know it is hard to find the volenteers for all this stuff, but surely the NZMHYC makes a buck on the Coastal and could pay someone to co-ordinate some content once a Quarter so they dont look like a bunch of plonkers.

Lets remember that multis are the future of sailing, so without getting silly about it and hiring Sachi's, let the moths out of your wallets and at least get some sh*t from this years sailing on there???

The website was a great idea AT THE TIME. Sadly those days are gone. Since the merger with the squadron, and being asked to join other mainstream clubs for events, there is no need to post race results on our site. They are available from most race clubs the night of the race. BOI week coverage is amply covered by the hosts and other websites such as crew.org. If we knew what we know now we'd probably not have justified the website but hindsight is a fine thing.

I've noticed lately, particularly in the band scene, and increasing takeup in facebook hosted sites. I'm in the progress of migrating Agent99 and Sundreamer across to facebook. Eventually the websites will remain as an online brochure only. Frankly I find most commercial websites suck balls. Huge introductory flash intro's you just wanna punch in the screen and f*ck all content of any use. Want to see a classic "therock.net" There are advantages (and some disadvantages) to facebook but at the moment, the uptake to facebook of the "older generation" is huge and its a good way to use that mass.

By the way, members of the multihull club are not living in a information vacuum. Matthew Flynn produces an excelent bi-weekly racing roundup of results, comment and notices of events. Want to get a copy? let the moths out of your wallet and join the club. $15 a year.

By the way, members of the multihull club are not living in a information vacuum. Matthew Flynn produces an excelent bi-weekly racing roundup of results, comment and notices of events. Want to get a copy? let the moths out of your wallet and join the club. $15 a year.

Put me on the mailing list and I'll stick it on th ehome page.

No, its actually $8.88 plus $1.12 GST for the government and $35 donation to YNZ, nothing to do with the NZMYC at all :D

By the way went into the double SEM dipping a few nights back. You cannot just get the $35 back if you are a member of 2 clubs. Since clubs pay on SEM and may have a variety of membership classes you would need to prove how much of the other clubs levy you are paying.

FOR EXAMPLE. I'm a member of NZMYC - every sub is the same so every levy is the same. But the squadron may have 10 different types of membership. Lets say a club has 10 members. They all pay different subs but the total sub intake is $1000. The senior sub of which there is only 2 people is $200. $1000 divided by $200 is 5 members which means that you have only paid a YNZ levy of $18:50 and thats all you will get back. And every club other than those that only have have one class of membership will have a different figure and if you can't prove the figure then you don't get anything. In other words, too hard.

What is the actual issue - is it functionality of the site itself, lack of content submitted, or the number of people who do/would look at it? Instead of lamenting the current state, put effort into figuring out what is wanted (email newsletter, website, combination of both), and by whom, and go from there. The more effort put into scoping beforehand means the less effort required to keep it going.

Content is the problem, when I did the expensive ($2500 per anum postage) news letter it was the same, those that moan the loudest contribute the least. I take my hat off to Anthony,Tim and those who have worked tirerlesly behind the scenes but maybe it is time to can it and use the Royal NZ multihull yacht club web site.

or just hi Jack the forums of this August site.

You lot have to make the decision, but I'm sure mummyship can set up a page within Crew.org.nz where you can paste up whatever you like, you already have the forum.

Won't even cost you, well maybe the occasional ride on a multi when I can get a leave pass.