Sign in to follow this  

NZMYC website

I think the website looks fine. Its future might be something to agenda for discussion at the next AGM.

Personally, I think the club should have its own identity, rather than thought of as part of RNZYS or part of crew.org and a decent club website contributes to that. (no offence David, but you could sell crew tomorrow, and if the new owner was not multi friendly?????).

Having said all that, I realise it all takes time to do, so if more hands are needed to run the site I'd be happy to help out.

Personally, I think the club should have its own identity, rather than thought of as part of RNZYS or part of crew.org and a decent club website contributes to that. (no offence David, but you could sell crew tomorrow, and if the new owner was not multi friendly?????).

Whoa, Careful there pilgrim that is radical thinking, that can get you excommunicated.

No, Seriously, there are two people who think like that?

The club is a whole lot better off since joining the Squadron. We don't have to have a boat show to attract members, we don't have to put out news, we don't have to organise races, in fact we don't have to do anything!

Whoa, Careful there pilgrim that is radical thinking, that can get you excommunicated.

!

Excomunicate away. Wouldn't be the first time. :twisted:

The club is a whole lot better off since joining the Squadron.

Is it? I wouldn't know. Its only a couple of years since I joined NZMYC. Maybe I'm missing something. If so I'd like to be enlightened.

I've been sailing for 40 odd years (mostly leaners). If I wanted to join the squaddie I would have done so years ago. However, it offers nothing I need. Thats not a criticism, its an august organisation with a big tradition and it obviously suits many people.

I joined the NZMYC because I'm interested in multis, particularly the design aspects and the evolution of the various types. Its always surprized me that given the rep NZ designers and sailors have for innovation, the takeup of multihulls here has been so low in comparison to other countries.

I would like to see more multis out there sailing. Whether a smokin new 8.5, open div, or someones restored old shitbox farting around towing a spinner or whatever. I don't really give a rats. I think a type dedicated club should be more affective in achieving that.

We don't have to have a boat show to attract members

No we don't, we have a boat show every second wednesday night, in the last year that has attracted at least 4 convert owners and probably 100+ convert crew with more pending as we speak. Being part of the mainstream yachting scene, dominating the scenery on wednesday nights, commodores cup, BOI and BMW weeks has achieved a payback far in excess of handing out a few sausages (raceboat wise anyway)

The level of professionalism from the RNZYS is awesome and the standard of the racing has never been better.

We can still work on the fleet sizes a lot more though.

But we did used to have more events revolving around the cruising boats and the cruising members, and that part of the NZMYC has taken a massive face plant.

Hopefully this weekend will be a good chance to rectify this.

No we don't, we have a boat show every second wednesday night, in the last year that has attracted at least 4 convert owners and probably 100+ convert crew with more pending as we speak

Yardy yardy yarda. (i'm being childish) all well and good I guess, is G3 a Multihull member? and is he the one taking the "100" good keen men on board?

So we have "4" racing converts and we have not attracted one of the many crusing multihulls???

Sorry I forgot about the power cat and the venerable "Drumbeat" Hell of a cruising division!!

Hopefully this weekend will be a good chance to rectify this.
Why What is happening this weekend??

Oops! guess you have to be a member to be privy to the hot info.

Pedro - you should have got an email from Mathew over the weekend and I just sent it out again this afternoon - hopefully you got that.

Yours (and Tim's) point about the lack of cruising events (or events tailored to cruising members), boat show and newsletters is valid.

In reverse order - I come up against exactly the same problem you did - lack of content. I thought about sending out a newsletter email every week. Very simple - "this weeks news is . . . . nothing new to report from members . . . .". We did agree that once a month the 8.5 com. and race sec would send me content by Sunday night and I'd send an email newsletter on the Tuesday - lasted - 0 weeks. So now they send out their own email which has reduced club newsletter content from 'f**k all' to 'a hell of a lot less than f**k all'! But it does work reasonably well and keeps the 'racers' up to date. Always happy to collate stuff but I'm not gonna just trawl the internet or make sh*t up without reasonable basis from members.

Boat Show - I'm gutted that we can't keep this going. We were very fortunate when Dave ran it - I barely got it together the following year and then it just became too difficult. Essentially there's one stumbling block - the venue. They won't cooperate and we won't chop our boats in half (or thirds). The 'compliance' costs ballooned with no real way of covering it etc. We're trying to resurect something in W/haven but no one really has the time to put into it.

Cruising events - I know Mathew wants to do more of these but we live in a pretty unpredictable city and cruisers don't sail to weather or in anything over 15kts! What few cruising events that do happen are primarily patronised by racers and the ever keen Ronnie and Jason on the House - and thank f*ck they do!

The reality is that the membership has increased considerably as a direct consequence of making the Squadron our home. This is due to the exposure we have from our racing being managed by the Squadron. We now need to figure out how cater for the cruisers and general multi hanger onners who don't want to be squadron members. All constructive ideas gratefully received.

Ah thanks scottie got that tonight. working on Sat, Bugger the H28 wont be there.

Will try to make it to club night, and I will wear my helmet just in case.