Painting advice

Pugwash

Hi all,

I'm contemplating painting my trailer yacht. The hull shouldn't be a problem but the deck has non slip panels moulded into the fibreglass. They are a sort of raised knobbly pattern and a pig to keep clean at the best of times. I'm wondering how to prep them well enough to paint. Would a good scrub with acetone be enough?

I recently did just that (belt sand the moulded tread off). A bit of careful work, especially on concave surfaces. Don't be deceived into thinking that because you are slapping non skid on the odd lump and hollow won't show. I took photos of the original tread pattern and very slightly enlarged the painted area. The application of the nonskid is a bit of an art. The advice I got was to keep the brush it on evenly, quite thickly and use a loaded roller to add the texture. Once it is going off, don't touch it. I am happy with the result and would do it again.

I have repainted that fibreglass non skid by using a really stiff wire wheel in an electric drill.

You could easily see the areas you had scratched up.

It took a while but worked very well.

this way it kept the existing pattern and by adding non skid particles to the new paint it was even grippier than before.

I did not undercoat it, just used Reaction Lacquer straight over the Polyester gelcoat.

Last time I saw that boat the non skid was over 3 or 4 years old and the Reaction Lacquer had stood up pretty well.

Archived