Electric Drive H28

DrWatson

3 hrs duration. Which means you'll start worrying by about your next refill at 2 hrs.

Compared to the 40 hrs duration I have on AC.

It laughable and not a serious proposition. I just don't get the interest/obsession with it.

Wake me up when performance has improved by 10x and it might be worth a closer look.

Seriously.

That sounded horrendously loud. Surely that can't be right. It was as loud as a diesel ... maybe louder. I thought the whole quiet propulsion thing was one of the selling points.

Electric hybrid is worth considering. Has the advantages of electric and diesel, also the disadvantages but can be used to increase speed in light air quietly ( if the prop and shaft are good). Plenty of amps onboard when the engine is used. Power and range of the diesel. Should save a fair amount of hours and maintenance of the diesel.

Yes range in electric yachts is not a lot at full speed, say 20 miles with a 400 amp hour battery setup roughly, but at 3 knots should go 90 miles or so. Also with a solar and wind gen onboard you never really run out of power completely.

I guess racing guys would not see much advantage in being able to electric motor sail but for cruisers that feature alone would be remarkable. Being able to quietly improve the pointing ability and increase the apparent wind without using much current seems to me to be a great thing indeed.

But then if you have a nice new Lombardini onboard its probably as quiet as a ladies fart in church :D Still no diesel can run slow enough to do the slight push like an electric motor.

Yes AC, in light conditions I see an increase in speed as a major plus. Apparently these e motors use just 1 or 200 watts to give a small boost that gets an extra knot or 2. The major down side for electric is range but a small air cooled diesel genny aboard and alls well.

Now 200 watts can be easily gathered most days from solar, so motoring for nothing during the day. So if I could get an extra knot most of the day in light air the increase in speed will probably be in the order of say 25% maybe more but decreasing as the hull speed is approached. I see it as completely different form of sailing that will be really interesting balancing power and wind.

by email

Hi,

I'm looking to source an electric motor for a Cascade 36, 30-40hp based in Auckland/Whangarei...Do you know of any dealers in the area, suggestions? I look forward to hearing from you!

Regards,

Jonathan

Archived