category 1 or not

Jono, Is there somewhere where I can find info re 2nd hand rafts having either single or twin tube construction, I have an avon in a valise and a continental raft in a smaller fibreglass case, I am guessing that the avon is twin tube but haven't a clue with the continental. they are both 4 man. Is it considered possible to repack the avon into a hard container?

I might have been a bit alarmist in my words. As a rule marine liferafts are twin chamber.The RFD Seasava is single chamber and is probably the only marine raft I can think of off the top of my head.

Aviation rafts are often 1 chamber, eg the Survival Products rafts we sell.

But if buying second hand, internet search the specifications as best you can.

All rafts can be packed from valise to container. The cost can be scary - particularly on older models as we need to bring the right canister in.

In your Avon case you may be best to sell with a current service and then buy a new canister raft.

Missed loads of threads here (sorry!) about para-anchors. Some still of the opinion that they put STRAIN on the rudder(s) as the vessel is pushed back. You really have to USE one to see the results. For my money, they are indespensable in a blow. Easy to deploy and not too bad to recover but my own observation was this: The waves LIFT the bow which the warp allows to happen if using the recommended rode, and yes it does allow some stretch or I think the waves would wash the decks completely. As the wave passes, this elastisity is then taken up again and the vessel heads into the trough of the next one. You would have to EXCEED the velocity of the wave heading astern in order to put adverse pressure upon the rudder and that simply does not happen! I use bungy cords to keep the rudder relative to mid-ships and aagain, there hasn't even been a hint of a problem (and these were big waves). The PRESSURE wave is always travelling astern, not forward! As to the TWO broken tillers... I assume it was a multi-hull and they are more at the mercy of wind than wave at times. Perhaps a small drogue astern would prevent any athwartships movement?

A wave has velocity but the water contained in the wave does not unless it is breaking. I have set sea anchors approximately 300 times from my commercial fishing days and have yet to see rudder damage but will not use one on our spade rudder design. Yes, the boat does move backwards in relation to the water. We use a drogue which allows us to sail close to 90 degrees if needed and can be rigged in a multitude of ways depending on your needs.

Archived