Out of here

First of all, if anyone here uses scopoderm patches at all, DON'T. i have used them a lot on the past but this time was something else. I changed the patches on the 3rd day at sea aaand..... Spent the next 2 and a half days experiencing absolutely crazy, vivid hallucinations, loss of memory and I couldn't focus my vision for a lot of the time. I had everything from full on riots on board, the storm jib lashed to the rail was an old lady taking photos and tryinh to shoot me with a bow an arrow (luckily for me the bow kept breaking whenever she drew it back), people chasing me with knives as I tried to escape out a deck hatch ( knot the best idea with no harness on in the middle of the night and blowing 20kts) to Russian brothels and I even refused to sleep in my bunk cause I didn't want to disturb the emu nesting on it. Apparently I didn't really eat or sleep at all throughout all of this, and I spent a lot of time tied to a chair for my own safety. I can remember pretty much all of what I went through and it was really something else. Hands down the craziest/scariest thing I have ever experienced or heard of anyone experiencing. So as you may have guessed I highly recommend knot using scopoderm, if it wasn't for the great bunch of guys on board that took care of me it would of turned out a lot worse!!

Well done JH :thumbup: You always bring a new dimension to this site and I think you would be the first to report doing a delivery tied to a chair.

So do you think the second patch that triggered all the symptoms was from a different batch? and are you going to report it to the manufacturers?

First of all, if anyone here uses scopoderm patches at all, DON'T. i have used them a lot on the past but this time was something else. I changed the patches on the 3rd day at sea aaand..... Spent the next 2 and a half days experiencing absolutely crazy, vivid hallucinations, loss of memory and I couldn't focus my vision for a lot of the time. I had everything from full on riots on board, the storm jib lashed to the rail was an old lady taking photos and tryinh to shoot me with a bow an arrow (luckily for me the bow kept breaking whenever she drew it back), people chasing me with knives as I tried to escape out a deck hatch ( knot the best idea with no harness on in the middle of the night and blowing 20kts) to Russian brothels and I even refused to sleep in my bunk cause I didn't want to disturb the emu nesting on it. Apparently I didn't really eat or sleep at all throughout all of this, and I spent a lot of time tied to a chair for my own safety. I can remember pretty much all of what I went through and it was really something else. Hands down the craziest/scariest thing I have ever experienced or heard of anyone experiencing. So as you may have guessed I highly recommend knot using scopoderm, if it wasn't for the great bunch of guys on board that took care of me it would of turned out a lot worse!!

scopoderm ???????????????? rind off a 1/2 cooked porkchop with a string attached, swallow and retrieve, do that a coupla times and you'll be fine.......no drugs required,

Well done JH - and no dismastings? Re the scopoderm, I would think you would need more than one occurrence to be sure it wasnt a one off thing. How about you try the patches again and let us know if it happens again? :lol:

I tried Scopoderm for the first time on my trip to Tonga, despite what I'd heard about the hallucinations, and I wouldn't be without them now. Only for the first few days mind - got my sea legs after 2 patches (about 5-6 days).

Had some hallucinations myself but nothing like the 'bad trip' you had JH. The coiled ropes attached to the pushpit were little people in Elizabethan clothing whispering to each other (no doubt about me... bastards) and at one point I did turn towards the stern and see a border collie sitting there quite happily. But I was well aware that I was hallucinating, and it was actually quite entertaining on long, boring night watches.

I noticed that tiredness definitely aggravated the hallucinations, so that might have something to do with it. As may your starvation diet - I would hazard a guess that being dehydrated, malnourished and tired would definitely exacerbate things.

Interestingly enough I did see a Yachting World survey about seasickness in which they described a number of common remedies. Scopolamine (the active ingredient in Scopoderm) was investigated by the CIA as a truth drug in the 50s, and has also found use as a date rape drug for its ability to cause retrograde amnesia! Good stuff ay? :D

That's strange, I also thought the coils of line at the mast were young girls in what looked like really old fashioned clothing as well, but they had no feet, just ankle length dresses and they were hovering around. It appeared that their mum (the storm jib lashed on deck) was taking photos of them in between trying to shoot me with her bow and arrow :lol: how long did it last for you BB? Did you also get the blurry vision and memory loss? I couldn't remember any of the crews names for a while there

That's strange, I also thought the coils of line at the mast were young girls in what looked like really old fashioned clothing as well, but they had no feet, just ankle length dresses and they were hovering around. It appeared that their mum (the storm jib lashed on deck) was taking photos of them in between trying to shoot me with her bow and arrow :lol: how long did it last for you BB? Did you also get the blurry vision and memory loss? I couldn't remember any of the crews names for a while there

Are you sure someone didnt give you some lsd or acid? that is a crazy

Archived