Sign in to follow this  

Rob Denney at tthe clubnight

SD can you confirm time and place here and I'll stick it on the home page as well.

For those who don't know Rob is an interesting guy who is, among other things building a 50ft multihull that looks set to weigh in around 550kg at 50ft. Yes a proa.

He also has developed cheap techniques for home builders to tackle composites and carbon building. He says an amateur can build a carbon mast (10% heavier than a prossionally built one, but still way lighter than alloy - which has no place in a marine environment) at about half the cost.

So far he has tested every idea he has had building it himself.

The highlight of the evening was when our new Proa sponser was announced.....

"www.sexmatch.com"

pure gold ! :clap:

That was an interesting talk. Looking forward to hearing more on the infused carbon masts.

Thanks. I also enjoyed it. Looks like there could be a couple of harrys in NZ in the near future as a result. I was not expecting such a good turn out (about 35 more people than I expected!) with Drummond and Jones talking AC at Albany. My only disappointment was that none of the people who have given me a hard time on this forum showed up, or if they did, had nothing to say. Maybe next time.

By the way, for the guy down the back who suggested using ballast on an 8.5 cat/tri. You most certainly could, but I doubt you could build an 8.5m cat/tri at 350 kgs so that you could benefit from the complexity of the system (more complex on a cat/tri than on a proa), so this probably remains a proa advantage.

I will keep you informed about the infused masts (bit of luck, will have some pics later this week). If (and I stress the if) they work out, they should make light rigs more affordable. By the way, I am writing a magazine article on carbon vs alloy masts for Aus Multihulls Magazine, using the 8.5 rule as a basis for comparison. Allyachts and CST in Aus have been very helpful, but Halls and Southern in NZ have ignored my requests for weights and costs of bare tubes suitable for an 8.5. I would appreciate any information on these from anyone who has bought a carbon or alloy 8.5 mast in the last couple of years. Either here, or pm me at harryproa@gmail.com

regards,

rob

I went to Robs talk, and I have to say full credit for him to have the balls to talk to us when he kind of knew he'd get ripped..........

two questions that need clarification please Rob.

I asked "whats a standard lamenate for a 50ft long proa hull?" you replied two layers of 450gram DB glass with some carbon unis running fore and aft.

I really wanted to know hoe you get the foam core into the hull after you "torture" the glass into shape, and then with horror realised you dont reinforce it? just 1mm of solid glass for the bottom of the hull with no core or inside laminate? please tell me im mistaken!!!!!!!!!!!11

Other thing you said was a freedom rig costs the same as an alloy rig.

Are you saying that if an off the shelf alloy rig for my boat was 7K, a spar maker could build me a carbon "freedom" rig for the same kind of money? if thats what you think name the company who would do it.