Sign in to follow this  

Rob Denney at tthe clubnight

is anyone else reading this and thinking WTF?

I don't know what's happened here, but it's not pretty in the least. I thought new ideas would be embraced and acknowledged, if they pan out; not lambasted before they even hit the water. Kiwis are an ingenious bunch when left to our devices, as the people fighting for class racing will attest to.

It's one thing to knock the idea or technology, but this is getting personal. Either agree to disagree, or wait until the rubber meets the road...or hulls meet the water, if you like.

"Cat 5 YNZ Safety regulations, clause 7.4 (M):

"A multihull yacht shall possess sufficient windward ability and assurance of coming about in

bad conditions to enable her to tack away from a lee shore or other extensive obstruction"

Tell me this, when you shunt do you not go backwards (to leeward) at some point ?"

Tim,

I believe this means, that you actually get away from a lee shore, if that means some room is lost changing tack but the overall gain gets you from the shore, that surely would be acceptable.

If you do a classic shunt you bear away to a beam reach, stop head off in the other direction and harden up, no going backwards, no ground lost to leeward unless you count drift for the few seconds the boat is stationary.

Two up I can shunt in well under a boat length and maybe 4 seconds, any loss to leeward would be immeasurably small.

Rob thank you for your reply. Unfortunately it is not my boat to say we will come to aus however there has been quite a bit of talk amongst the crew about comming over to do the sydney to gladstone race at somestage. It may happen one year but we will have to wait and see.

Instead of build cost why don't we go on resale value. That is a more market indicative price.

As for you scenario of a dial up I think it is alittle ambitious. Lets look at it like this. taeping has come in and taken harryproa head to wind. We are all in irons now. harry proa decides he is going to flip his rudders around and sails. Taeping is already going backwads reversing out of this situation. Harry proa is now on port and taeping has backed out across her bows on starboard. now a port starboard penalty to harryproa.

Now lets move up the first leg. harry proa comes at taeping because it points so high and goes so fast. Taeping crew see harry proa climbing over her so tack onto stbd again to cover. both boats aproach for the first cross harry proa is too close to bear away into a shunt so port starboard again. another penalty on harry proa. Taeping wins the race because harry proa has penalty turns to do at the finish. That is turns not shunts!

The flaws in your start theory are

1)there is a big wind shadow behind taeping. no boat will accelerate through that in enough time to get leward boat advantage

2)watching your you tube

it takes a huge amount of time to shunt and you would lose massive amounts of ground sailing up wind which is clearly shown and that is only a small proa

3)you underestimate how manouverable taeping is and how quick to accelerate it is.

As for the you tube video of what you call the overweight cruising harry, any multi with the exception probably of a wharam would get along at close to that speed because they are no where near to being on the wind. They are effectively cracked sheets reaching. We on taeping know they won't be on the wind as we too had a mast that wobbled around like that one and if we were not flying a hull we could not point as we had no midleach tension which everyone knows you need to point. The mast is out so this can be rectified.

I thought that was a very nice reply from Ian Burns. Considerably PC way of laughing without laughing.

I am sorry rob but until I am convinced otherwise as another poster put it "the rubber hits the road" I will still disagree. Good on you however for giving it a crack!!

Taeping crew see harry proa climbing over her so tack onto stbd again to cover. both boats aproach for the first cross harry proa is too close to bear away into a shunt so port starboard again. another penalty on harry proa.

Wouldn't happen , I said a classic shunt, it is easy and possibly faster to shunt without bearing away first. Remember a proa can come to a complete standstill in way less than a boatlength.

is it actually possible for a proa to complete a penality "turn" correctly ?

My understanding is that a proa can only go forward or in other words in the direction of the bow.

Given that a Proa has two bows this can make choosing a direction confusing. So in answer to your question yes it can just as long as the helmsman or helmperson follows the bow and turns the said bow in a circular direction. If however they take their eyes of the bow during this manouevre he she or they could become confused with the other bow and only complete a one eighty or in extreme circumstances a seven twenty. There is a rumour of an Atlantic Proa still sailing in circles of the coast of France after starting in a Route De Rum some time in the eighties. It is said the confused skipper is unable to tell which bow he used to start the race with and is stubbornly (typical of a Proa Sailor) trying to sort the matter out.

Well at least thats how I think squid explained it?????