That picture of Timberwolf is an optical illusion because based on that it looks like the whole boat is practically under water where as in reality that was one of the more under control times on the day.

We did a rounding in the first race where we came closer to tipping over sideways than we have experienced before and we also managed one quite outstanding nosedive offwind with the gennaker up.

They are fantastic photo's, many thanks to Kathy for taking them and thanks Ryan for organising.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good Racing Clive! :D :D

1st in the series now :shock: :shock:

well I'll just have to try harder next fortnight.

I was really p***** off yesterday when the halyard clutch ripped off the mast.

We were really screaming upwind, and ahead of Hyper.

Mind you we nearly cartwheeled it just before Orakei bouy with the screecher.

(must remember, if running screecher in marginal conditions, be sure all crew fully experienced), and lost all the ground we had made on Hyper to that point.

It was about I guess 15 to 20 knots when we pulled out, did it get much windier?

I was really p***** off yesterday when the halyard clutch ripped off the mast.

why did it rip off ?

It was about I guess 15 to 20 knots when we pulled out, did it get much windier?

when we finished the now casting at bean rock had peak 28 average 22 , was a fantastic ride !

Not sure why it ripped off!

All I know is that I was told to haul in the mainsheet as hard as possible going upwind (Clipper tried to tell me that when I 1st got the boat, but it would just round up and stop with the old sails)

The boat was going really well upwind when all of a sudden it let go. I guess I just pulled too much main on. Do you think I should go for a 2 to 1 purchase halyard?

Will have to get it fixed before Saturday

Mind you we nearly cartwheeled it just before Orakei bouy with the screecher.

Story time john! What happened? How fast were you going? How far over/forward did you go?

I'd reccomend a 2:1 halyard. Easier to hoist, reduces stretch and compression on mast (perhaps?)

888 looked pretty impressive on that first leg, flying the hull pretty high, and then coming down with some nice big splashes!