W/L's Saturday 29th May

That picture of Timberwolf is an optical illusion because based on that it looks like the whole boat is practically under water where as in reality that was one of the more under control times on the day.

We did a rounding in the first race where we came closer to tipping over sideways than we have experienced before and we also managed one quite outstanding nosedive offwind with the gennaker up.

They are fantastic photo's, many thanks to Kathy for taking them and thanks Ryan for organising.

Good Racing Clive! :D :D

1st in the series now :shock: :shock:

well I'll just have to try harder next fortnight.

I was really p***** off yesterday when the halyard clutch ripped off the mast.

We were really screaming upwind, and ahead of Hyper.

Mind you we nearly cartwheeled it just before Orakei bouy with the screecher.

(must remember, if running screecher in marginal conditions, be sure all crew fully experienced), and lost all the ground we had made on Hyper to that point.

It was about I guess 15 to 20 knots when we pulled out, did it get much windier?

why did it rip off ?

It was about I guess 15 to 20 knots when we pulled out, did it get much windier?

when we finished the now casting at bean rock had peak 28 average 22 , was a fantastic ride !

Not sure why it ripped off!

All I know is that I was told to haul in the mainsheet as hard as possible going upwind (Clipper tried to tell me that when I 1st got the boat, but it would just round up and stop with the old sails)

The boat was going really well upwind when all of a sudden it let go. I guess I just pulled too much main on. Do you think I should go for a 2 to 1 purchase halyard?

Will have to get it fixed before Saturday

Mind you we nearly cartwheeled it just before Orakei bouy with the screecher.

Story time john! What happened? How fast were you going? How far over/forward did you go?

I'd reccomend a 2:1 halyard. Easier to hoist, reduces stretch and compression on mast (perhaps?)

888 looked pretty impressive on that first leg, flying the hull pretty high, and then coming down with some nice big splashes!

Good Racing Clive! :D :D

cheers John,

sorry to hear about the clutch. Bummer... 2:1 is the way to go. Bruce did a good job on the 2:1 that I had put on. Was worth it.

We were folding the screecher, and the new guy kept holding onto the sheet, which mean't it was harder to roll up the screecher, so it didn't roll up tidily.

The screecher was flogging so I wanted to get it down (still on a reach doing +15kn) so told the crew to lower (on the leeward side). Usually we let the halyard go, and it falls onto the tramp, but the new crew was letting it down, the other crew, thinking it was caught stepped onto the tramp to figure it out, thus upsetting the equilibrium.

The leeward ama caught, and went under, the prod and pulpit went under right up to the anchor well and it sat there till the crew on the tramp (water up to his waste) managed to scramble up off the tramp, and into the cockpit. I remember thinking did I have my phone on me or in the cabin, and it was handy that coastguard would be close to tip me back up again. That's how long we were in the precarious state.

I reckon Hyper would have had a good view of it all.

I reckon Hyper would have had a good view of it all.

Yea Steve off Hyper did say that you had a bit of a brown trousers moment…. He said it looked like you guys were over at 90 degrees.

I remember thinking did I have my phone on me or in the cabin, and it was handy that coastguard would be close to tip me back up again. That's how long we were in the precarious state.

Did you not think of easing anything in this "precarious state" john?? Haha :lol: :shock:

The leeward ama caught, and went under, the prod and pulpit went under right up to the anchor well and it sat there till the crew on the tramp (water up to his waste) managed to scramble up off the tramp, and into the cockpit.

nice. when the same thing happens but with a reef and number 3 jib and the mast step is under water its even funner!

gives you a lot more confidence to push it after a few of them :wink:

Ryan what are your upgrades? its the first time iv heard someone describe new antifoul (which apparently takes 4 months?) as upgrades?

Ryan what are your upgrades? its the first time iv heard someone describe new antifoul (which apparently takes 4 months?) as upgrades?

Along with the Antifoul comes alot of strengthening for the crawler;

Centrecase

Beam Mounts

Traveller

Front water stay chainplate.

For all this it will take 4months in the winter... Guess we dont all have a shed we can build a boat in ay Samin... and besides i'll be back in the water in just over a month :P

Archived