Nicky Cruz 7.6

GregW

I thought I'd start a new thread rather than drift the GDT 2 one.

The design is a Graeme Delaveau Nicky Cruz 7.6 (or 25' depending when you went to school). Glass over 6mm ply, fairly trad stringers over frames, basic ply build. has a double chine centre hull, single chine floats, timber/ply box beams. I'm using BS 1088 meranti ply, Malaysian Kauri and WEST epoxy.

A few pics from the get-go

IMGP1639 - Copy.JPG

IMGP1746 - Copy.JPG

IMGP1789-a - Copy.jpg

Looks very nice Greg, what about the mast, Rotating?

When do you expect to have it sailing?

It's good to see more 7.5m tris, good competition for, Creepy, Capricorn, Cubic and Putiki Express.

Thanks for posting the pics greg. Its good to see how the boats come together.

Was the size dictated by cost? build room? desire?

I see there is an 8.5m version too... :wink:

Thanks guys,

Squid, the original Nicky Cruz was a 28 footer pics here

http://www.delaveaumultihulldesign.com/designs.php

John, the rig I have at the moment is approx 360 sq feet on a 10 meter stick - similar size to the stock F24 rig. I can go up to about 11.2 m and be within the 8.5 air-draft height. Never know I might get tempted. :think: If work keeps as busy it may be another 2 years before she splashes.

Clipper, the choice was a combination of most of the things you mention. I thought about Graemes 8.5 R, I think it would be a great boat, but going bigger does cost more, and racing is not the prime objective of me owning the boat, more to have a good, fast cruiser for 1 or 2 people that CAN race and have some fun or could be got really honking with a big ass rig if the mood so takes.

I'm fortunate that I can build this totally to suit myself and not have to make compromises to suit kids, family etc.

In the meantime Greg feel free to join Matt and I on the GDT if the mood takes you....

Give me a bell on (027) 663-6317 if you're keen.

Cheers - Jacko

In the meantime Greg feel free to join Matt and I on the GDT if the mood takes you....

Give me a bell on (027) 663-6317 if you're keen.

Cheers - Jacko

Thanks Jacko. Will do.

She's looking good alright Greg. :)

Thanks Merran. just cogitating over bunk layouts/construction etc. at the moment. BTW thanks for posting back the study prints, I hope they were of some use.

wow, I've only just found this thread. Awesome stuff GregW. I know Graeme and Nicki from years ago, but haven't seen them for ages. I went for a sail on NC in about 5 knots of breeze and was blown away by how fast she was compared to my SR at the time. Graeme is a devout multihull man and is good for a wind up at a party if you dare suggest anything at all could be better than a multi!

I've found myself spending more and more time in the multi forum and feeling less and less inclined to work on my leaner. Not sure what's happening to me but it feels like it could be expensive...

wow, I've only just found this thread. Awesome stuff GregW. I know Graeme and Nicki from years ago, but haven't seen them for ages. I went for a sail on NC in about 5 knots of breeze and was blown away by how fast she was compared to my SR at the time. Graeme is a devout multihull man and is good for a wind up at a party if you dare suggest anything at all could be better than a multi!

I've found myself spending more and more time in the multi forum and feeling less and less inclined to work on my leaner. Not sure what's happening to me but it feels like it could be expensive...

Great, so i'm going to help you polish your boat on Saturday so you can sell it and buy a multi ?

Archived