Nicky Cruz 7.6

GregW

Looking good Greg. Have you scarfed or butt strap joined the panels? Also what are the wood bits sticking out through the panels for?

Hull panels are joined using butt straps. The sticky out bits are 12 mm dowel I use to (re)locate the hull panels while fitting and gluing them. Makes life a bit easier for one pair of hands. On the centre hull I took the dowels out and filled the holes, this time I glued them in and will just trim them off.

yup even if its glassed and faired over. as the boat flexes im sure the dowel will leave a little circle line in the paint. Nails, filled holes, screws, all do it. Not a major but just irritating when you know its there...

yup even if its glassed and faired over. as the boat flexes im sure the dowel will leave a little circle line in the paint. Nails, filled holes, screws, all do it. Not a major but just irritating when you know its there...

G'day "samin" Not so or "Knot-so" You just to need to do your surface prep properly. Ciao, james

I did wonder about that but seeing as I'm going by the boat-length rule of marine finishing any blemishes like that won't be a concern. :)

Marshy, floats are to be glassed.

It won't show if its glassed over, samin.

just use the right Glue and Filler and make sure its properly gone off.

Prepare paint properly etc and you won't see the dowel holes.

So are you saying that either,

a) Timerwolf (original parts) are perfect?

or

B) Timberwolf (original parts) wasnt glassed over or the original builder didn't prepare and paint it properly?

Can you give me an example of a ply boat without a single nail showing in the gloss paint?

G'day "samin" Not so or "Knot-so" You just to need to do your surface prep properly. Ciao, james

Hi James, thanks for the top quality advice.

Any chance you could elaborate on proper surface prep? Bearing in mind the boat in question has a 200kgm2 boat cloth over the ply.

maybe you could post a pic of your fine vessel for us to admire?

Ciao

Sam

sure sam take a look at p starling

and sunburst fleets

lots have glassed over chain

plate csk fasteners.

lots are perfect

i did nailed and screwed black

sunny. is sweet cant see any

OK a bit more progress over the Xmas break.

Bog up screw holes etc. sand, Bog the bits I missed - sand, bog the other bits I hadn't noticed I missed - sand, fit and carve stem caps, ready to glass..... Beer :thumbup:

DSCF0285 - Copy.JPG

DSCF0294 - Copy.JPG

DSCF0317 - Copy.JPG

OK a bit more progress over the Xmas break.

Bog up screw holes etc. sand, Bog the bits I missed - sand, bog the other bits I hadn't noticed I missed - sand, fit and carve stem caps, ready to glass..... Beer :thumbup:

G'day bloke. U should be very VERY proud of your achievements. I'm sure as hell we all are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats cobber. VERY well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hope - - nah - - I'm sure all will go well for you. Do have a great festive time & a g-g-grand time in 2012, you've sure earned it. So much to do yet. Wish I was there to help. (but then Gawd would need to help U) Caio, james.

Amazing work Greg. In the time it's taken you to do that, I've achieved, well bugger all actually! You inspire me dude and I'm not blowing smoke up your arse. :thumbup:

Amazing work Greg. In the time it's taken you to do that, I've achieved, well bugger all actually! You inspire me dude and I'm not blowing smoke up your arse. :thumbup:

I second that! I barely have enough patience to get one bow section looking nice, Let alone two! Cant wait to see the finished product!

Please do keep us informed! :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Archived