Sign in to follow this  
John B

Scallop dredge wankers

We used to use one when I lived in the Golden Bay that was from that area, No rakes, rather a tickler chain. You only got the scallops, no other crap, so on the bottom it was really doing the job.

The dredge was so easy to use, why would you wish to do it the hard way. I know the beds do need a bit of ploughing from time to time as it does help them, But the problem as I see it, is that you do kill other bottome dwellers. After all true farmer removes the stock before he ploughs the paddock.

The above photo is a shocking example of the types of wankers that give all other users of the ocean a real bad name

99% of the dredges down here are those Aluminium Wing design things. They have a "tickler" chain across the front, but that is mainly for keeping the basket/net open. The chain and bottom of the net is clear of the bottom. The foil actually "sucks" the shell up off the bottom and into the path of the net. There is a Skid each side of the foil that it slides over the bottom on. After you run it for a while, you then turn and run back over it to tip the dredge over and it actually "flies" to the surface. Although we just simply haul it in.

The dredges that I've seen around here are a simple galv steel rectangle with angled tines designed to plough up the bottom and scoop stuff into the mouth of the rectangle and into the net trailing behind. Very destructive.

A tickler chain running along the bottom has nowhere near the adverse effects of a dozen or so tines digging up the seabed and damaging whatever gets in its way.

Sounds like we're talking about very different types of dredge here.

Well isn't that interesting , all dredges are not created equal after all. And its also interesting to hear the comments about the beneficial side of the 'burn off' they create.... just goes to show.

Re reporting it. we would have done that the same day if we had any hope of identifying the boat and we certainly did discuss it at length .My wife and I can't even agree on its colour.. I thought it a dark blue, she a dark green. I didn't take a photo of it because well, I don't take pics of tinnies ,and at the time we were talking we had no idea the guy would turn out to be a totally irresponsible tosser like he turned out. His dredge incidentally was quite big I thought (he was on the beach because he couldn't lift it aboard as I said earlier)and had the big teeth / tines at the leading edge.

Kev's suprer dredge is certainly the Design. I don't think he was the guy that created it though. The design first came out about 20years ago and we were one of the first to sell it for the guy in our shop. We would report back slight design changes and the thing was refined over a short time to a very workable design. I see very few of any of the old antiquated things around now and just assumed every one everywhere used the thing. Looks like the market still has a lot of potential for the guy. or guy's now as it seems. They are not expensive, as in, I looked at making the thing for myself once and it wasn't worth my time. I don't quite know how he does it to be honest. Maybe he buy's his Chain and shackles form KM. :wink: :lol:

Kev (aka "Splitpin) has all the sections pre-cut & rolled then welds them together in his garage in Cissy Baywhen he's not arguing with his neighbours. :lol:

I don't think it's the same guy. Kev used to work in the meat works in Nelson I think & has only been in the sounds 10 or so years. I get on well with him & have used him a lot for alloy work etc. he sure has a habit of winding up the natives though. Even had a stoush with Darryl Crimp over some minor thing.