Climate change.

As the consensus seems to be that we don't really know what's going down surely the best answer is to not take any personal responsibility, buy a big f*ck-off V8, live as far from work or boat as possible, bitch about investment in public transport infrastructure, drive 1 hour to take a yacht sailing (and claim we are environmentally sensitive because we're sailors).

Or, we could just start giving a sh*t about our planet. What's the worst case scenario?

I don't think any of us are saying or doing any of that either PW. I can certainly say KM is one that is very very proactive in supporting our Planet. Me too.

I understand where you are coming from with above statements, but also,

Firstly, my V8 is more economical than many 4 cylinder cars. So the argument of "V8" is not always the best argument, but I understand what you mean.

I have been arguing about cost of Housing and thus the choices of where we live from work or Re travel and I have complained about the poor Public transport and the fact that the Roads are not supporting Cyclists and yet I get told to "F" off back to the South Isl because I am complaining and questioning this "Great City".

Not sure any of us have much of a choice about where we can keep our boats.

not bothered to do with the WSJ op-ed.
'Knot bothered' is hardly a fair comment as their are literally 100,000's of pages on all this so it takes time to follow everything. That's rather interesting about that page, I haven't sussed it deep yet but will, it just popped up from somewhere. But it is a glowing example of what I mean, there is so much stuff out there it's like sifting the Gulf looking for 3 specific grains of sand.

I'll suss further when knot in this drug haze due to some nice old biddy deciding to do a random U turn in front of me last night. My body and bike are rather worse for wear this morning.

Pete, I totally agree and have taken steps to ensure I can sleep easy knowing our household and business are more planet friendly than most I know. With the help of Crews Tuffy I reduced NZ need to generate another 200 odd kilowatts p/a, probably more, just last Thursday. That's on top of all there is already. If all Crewers did that tiny, and it is tiny, 200kw, NZ would have nearly 1mw of power to knot have to generate. If all NZers did that we could turn the Huntly power station off for 2/3rds of the time. Small steps but they all add up. But I bet ya less than 10% will even think about it and even less will action it.

If all NZers did that we could turn the Huntly power station off for 2/3rds of the time.

As already corrected - Huntly only kicks in as a back up when Hydro gets low (as in a draught) - there are parameters set and I think it is due to be wound down completely soon as the cost to keep it in that mode is quite horrendous....

Anyone find newer data - Best I can find is this from IPENZ:

Report from 2010 -

In 1974 approx 84% of electricity from renewables

In 2008 approx 66% of electricity from renewables

Renewables include Hydro, Geothermal, Wind & BioEnergy

what is mean by my comment is...

KM's 200 wtt saving will not make even the smallest generator dial back his output.

not even a whole suburb will.

no physics Pwederell, just commen sense.

Physics is actually the epitome of common sense. You are wrong and your attitude is what is poisoning the drive to seek power conservation measures by the man in the street.

Luckily, alternatives exist: German-based startup Malibu has developed a technology that uses fluorine, a gas with zero global warming potential.

That's a laugh. Flourine is incredibly toxic and is probably the most reactive Gas on the Planet. It even burns with a Flame upon contact with water.

When manufacturers make products using the gases you have labled in your post SD, they don't just let these gases escape into the atmosphere. Many are highly toxic, but mostly are very expensive. So they recycle as much as they can.

But OK, so where do you draw the line. The Silicon in the Panels are processed using a toxic Gas. So is the very same Silicon in electronic components. So if you think a Solar Panel is bad, then you better stop buying any electronic devices. Because everything has them. Oh and for that matter, many of those toxic gasses are used to produce Plastics. Actually Teflon uses Flourine. So no matter what product you buy these days, it's been through some process that is bad for our Earth in someway. So seeing as a Solar panel at least gives our Planet something of use, it is far better than owning a TV which does nothing but consume.

not bothered to do with the WSJ op-ed.
'Knot bothered' is hardly a fair comment as their are literally 100,000's of pages on all this so it takes time to follow everything. That's rather interesting about that page, I haven't sussed it deep yet but will, it just popped up from somewhere. But it is a glowing example of what I mean, there is so much stuff out there it's like sifting the Gulf looking for 3 specific grains of sand.

I wasn't trying to get at you. And I know you think consciously about these things.

The key here is that the science is very complicated, but the IPCC really does represent the concensus of climate scientists on the issue.

The dodgy use of statistics and the misleading media statements almost all come from the "business as usual" side of the discussion. They don't dispute climate change, global warming, increasing sea level, increasing climate extremes - so they focus on sowing some doubt that humans have any blame or can do anything about it. This (in turn) is perfect food for our natural desire to feel blameless and focus on our small lives. Funnily enough, they don't usually do any research themselves as to the cause, just tell everyone that there isn't enough proof yet that humans are to blame. Of course, once there is they'll tell us that its too late to do anything about it, or that it's too expensive to do anything about it.

What do YOU think the real result of major climate change, or rising sea levels will be?

I suggest it will be the cause of the next major global war, or an enormous proliferation of small wars.

It's all OK Bogan, it was someone else reverting to past form that inspired my metal heath comment, knot you.

I know where you are coming from with all the stuff put out by the IPCC but when you suss the IPCC you see the stuff they publish is only what the 195 Governments want published. So they don't represent Scientists, they represent Governments. They say this out loud but it does seem to be a secret to most of the public.

The IPCC does knot research anything, nor does it monitor climate related data or parameters, use the information that is given to them voluntarily and nothing it says publicly is said until it's signed off by the assorted Governments. The IPCC is a Govt spokes person thingy. So that means the first, second, third and maybe the forth Report they published had to be approved by the Labour Party of NZ, amongst many other political organistions worldwide, before it was released into the wild.

You can also see a lot of the supporting material they use they do openly say isn't checked nor if you like that the term, 'peer reviewed'. They are quite open about this even if they are open in the back row of a large stadium rather than saying it on the stage in front of everyone.

As we have already seen some of the scientists who are mentioned/credited in some or all of the reports have admitted they tweaked things to make the result they wanted out there look better. Take a look at the NZ politicians and we see both the Labs and the Greens want to coin they can extract from our agriculture under the guise of the IPCC encouraged ETS to use to fund other things like expansion of the welfare system. How the hell does paying people to lie on the beach help the planet? Could it be those 2 parties (there could be more I haven't sussed) don't actually believe? The next step in that path is why, what do they know we don't?

So, in my books, there are 2 big questions that must be asked and answered before the IPCC can be thought of as 100% accurate (or as accurate as they can be in things like this) and unbiased -

1, Just how many scientists have altered data, for whatever reasons, and what affect on the end reports did it have. Was it just that few who have admitted it, but only after being busted, or were there more we don't know about?

2, How many politicians have seen the potential income they could get from this and have any of those tweaked or turned a blind eye to anything that may mean they don't/wouldn't get that income? Looking at NZ alone one does have to wonder if the many millions, if knot billions over time, of bucks and the likely large input that would have in any election attempt/defense has meant possibly dodgy tweaking.

So I'd suggest to blindly follow every word the IPCC says as the be all to end all could possibly mean you've been nicely conned. Note the word 'possibly' as obviously none of us actually know and while I'm knot saying the IPCC is dodgy as I am saying the questions do need to be asked as this is more than a simple 'who pissed in the swimming pool?' like situation.

All that is before you have to consider whether the 1000's of people the IPCC funds are willing or knot to tweak things to keep their job. Or why all the early IPCC reports used the words 'will', 'certainty', 'Global warming' and the like but the latest ones those are gone and have been replaced by 'may', 'possibly' and 'Climate change'. Read the reports and you will see there has been quite a mellowing.

Yes I know there is a tinfoil hat angle to all that but dodgy shite does happen and there has been plenty of cases of very dodgy Govts and scientists knot to mention people looking after themselves 1st.

So while I totally accept the anti side can be dodgy as hell I can't see why anyone can't also accept so can the Pro side, hell some have already admitted publicly they have done a Armstrong. I don't believe either of them and think the truth is more in the middle, as it often is with things like this. I do believe that humans will one day try damn hard to kill this planet but is that happening now to due too many farting cows?? From the sussing I've done I'm knot convinced as yet. Maybe in a few more years when the data sets have been given enough time to show a pattern variance it'll make more sense but at the moment the shown doom and gloom is knot new nor unique, it's all happened before.

Don't forget all the experts have already brought us with a lot of certainty like Y2K, Bird Flu, Pig Flu, Big Macs are good for you and even freakier stuff like a Hula will win the AC. Those things way more easy to nail down than planetary change yet they still got them wrong. That's without looking at the IPCC early reports that had the world today very different than it's panned out to be i.e some of their models have already proven to be wrong.

Sure many say 'best do something now rather than later' which isn't a silly idea to a point but look at what they are trying to do and the big downsides that's happening to many due to that. Dipshits like the NZ Govt are willing to shoot their own country in the foot leading it's own population being screwed to make what sort of a difference? Knot a fecking dickey bird as our impact is less than minimal anyway. If billions are sucked out of the NZ economy in the name of saving the planet 2 things will happen. One, being there will be zero change to the planet. Two being the punters will get shitty and (if it was most other countries) start riots and allsorts of bad sh*t due to them being screwed to make no change (but NZers won't as they are basically too apathetic and lazy).

So I reckon we need to wait. If the Pro-team are right we will see solid indications of human involvement reasonably quickly, in the earths time frame, and possibly as soon as 10 years off. If it pans out things are human induced fine lets get into it and there will be no grounds on which to say 'Rubbish' so it'll be a world combined push to tidy our act up as opposed to the current total shambles that is achieving sweet feck all except screwing millions who can't afford to be screwed.

So as a individual what do you do? Well you can do lots or you can do feck all. If you are a believer now then it's easy for you to work towards the end goal of minimising your impact. I would serious doubt anyone will grizzle or call you a dick if you reduced your footprint, in fact I'd think many would applaud you, I would and with gusto. I'd say feck all believers are now doing anything so you need to make a personal call as to whether you are serious or just want to be a hypocrite.

If you are a non-believer just plod on but do so knowing that if in a decade or 2 this pans out to be real you will likely be the target of more than a few told ya so's and possibly a big nasty tumor on the side of your face.

Me? I neither believe nor disbelieve, as if you couldn't tell, but I've always thought (decades before the term IPCC was thought up) humans will eventually kill this planet by burying it in packaging and/or pretty but basically just cosmetic wankery. So we are a pretty green household in many ways and are doing more as the opportunity arises. It's knot hard nor expensive to do, so more should and can do something, whether you believe or knot.

Opps, nearly forgot Mr B. What do I see happening in the future as I do believe the water level (and CO2) will increase just as it has done it before. Interesting question that one. I see monied people screwing the poor people out of dry land and in time living only to see them with the coin suddenly realise that when money becomes worthless they can't do the stuff they used to pay the poor people to do for them. I think like you Bogan we'll see wars over high lands and fresh water. It'll start on a civil basis and then go country on country. I see NZ having to defend itself as it does sit in a damn good spot for when the water rises, 64mts I think one known CC expert said earlier in this thread ;)

I gotta start watching TV again and stop having to stay still due to dipshits in cars trying to kill us motorcyclists :?

WHO CARES!

Its all Dribble from "both sides of the mouth/arguement".

but for me it is the last time!

LIFE is TO SHORT!!

Who cares!

TODAYS PARENTS WITH CHILDREN AND THEY CARE ABOUT THEIR CHILDRENS CHILDRENS.

Don,t wonder.

Solution 101...

There is one thing that lives of CO2... in fact it loves the stuff.

It also soaks up water and until man came along they held triilions of tonnes of water... which is now in the sea and flooding Venice, islands, and many other areas.

The also hold hills up and stop land erosion.

And China leads the world in replacement of these wonerful things.!

Yes the humble tree.

By the way i Iaugh at people like Richard Brandon whom braggs about saving whales and oceans while each one of his planes injects 60,000 litres of CO2 into the upper atomesphere every day.

60,000 litres of CO2 x how many planes?

His planes pollute more than NZ pollutes.

I'm not accrediting scientific qualification to the commentator, just posting the article as a reference point in the debate.

An article by a discredited politician that offers not one reference so that what he states can be verified. As a source of information that article has the utility of used toilet paper.

I am still not committed on the issue, but that article was offensive in it's stupidity.

Archived