Sign in to follow this  

Climate change.

As the consensus seems to be that we don't really know what's going down surely the best answer is to not take any personal responsibility, buy a big f*ck-off V8, live as far from work or boat as possible, bitch about investment in public transport infrastructure, drive 1 hour to take a yacht sailing (and claim we are environmentally sensitive because we're sailors).

Or, we could just start giving a sh*t about our planet. What's the worst case scenario?

I don't think any of us are saying or doing any of that either PW. I can certainly say KM is one that is very very proactive in supporting our Planet. Me too.

I understand where you are coming from with above statements, but also,

Firstly, my V8 is more economical than many 4 cylinder cars. So the argument of "V8" is not always the best argument, but I understand what you mean.

I have been arguing about cost of Housing and thus the choices of where we live from work or Re travel and I have complained about the poor Public transport and the fact that the Roads are not supporting Cyclists and yet I get told to "F" off back to the South Isl because I am complaining and questioning this "Great City".

Not sure any of us have much of a choice about where we can keep our boats.

not bothered to do with the WSJ op-ed.
'Knot bothered' is hardly a fair comment as their are literally 100,000's of pages on all this so it takes time to follow everything. That's rather interesting about that page, I haven't sussed it deep yet but will, it just popped up from somewhere. But it is a glowing example of what I mean, there is so much stuff out there it's like sifting the Gulf looking for 3 specific grains of sand.

I'll suss further when knot in this drug haze due to some nice old biddy deciding to do a random U turn in front of me last night. My body and bike are rather worse for wear this morning.

Pete, I totally agree and have taken steps to ensure I can sleep easy knowing our household and business are more planet friendly than most I know. With the help of Crews Tuffy I reduced NZ need to generate another 200 odd kilowatts p/a, probably more, just last Thursday. That's on top of all there is already. If all Crewers did that tiny, and it is tiny, 200kw, NZ would have nearly 1mw of power to knot have to generate. If all NZers did that we could turn the Huntly power station off for 2/3rds of the time. Small steps but they all add up. But I bet ya less than 10% will even think about it and even less will action it.

If all NZers did that we could turn the Huntly power station off for 2/3rds of the time.

As already corrected - Huntly only kicks in as a back up when Hydro gets low (as in a draught) - there are parameters set and I think it is due to be wound down completely soon as the cost to keep it in that mode is quite horrendous....

Anyone find newer data - Best I can find is this from IPENZ:

Report from 2010 -

In 1974 approx 84% of electricity from renewables

In 2008 approx 66% of electricity from renewables

Renewables include Hydro, Geothermal, Wind & BioEnergy

what is mean by my comment is...

KM's 200 wtt saving will not make even the smallest generator dial back his output.

not even a whole suburb will.

no physics Pwederell, just commen sense.

Physics is actually the epitome of common sense. You are wrong and your attitude is what is poisoning the drive to seek power conservation measures by the man in the street.

Luckily, alternatives exist: German-based startup Malibu has developed a technology that uses fluorine, a gas with zero global warming potential.

That's a laugh. Flourine is incredibly toxic and is probably the most reactive Gas on the Planet. It even burns with a Flame upon contact with water.

When manufacturers make products using the gases you have labled in your post SD, they don't just let these gases escape into the atmosphere. Many are highly toxic, but mostly are very expensive. So they recycle as much as they can.

But OK, so where do you draw the line. The Silicon in the Panels are processed using a toxic Gas. So is the very same Silicon in electronic components. So if you think a Solar Panel is bad, then you better stop buying any electronic devices. Because everything has them. Oh and for that matter, many of those toxic gasses are used to produce Plastics. Actually Teflon uses Flourine. So no matter what product you buy these days, it's been through some process that is bad for our Earth in someway. So seeing as a Solar panel at least gives our Planet something of use, it is far better than owning a TV which does nothing but consume.

F**k me, no wonder we have so much need for an expansion in our mental health services.

Fill ya boots you hypocrites.

D&D

not bothered to do with the WSJ op-ed.
'Knot bothered' is hardly a fair comment as their are literally 100,000's of pages on all this so it takes time to follow everything. That's rather interesting about that page, I haven't sussed it deep yet but will, it just popped up from somewhere. But it is a glowing example of what I mean, there is so much stuff out there it's like sifting the Gulf looking for 3 specific grains of sand.

I wasn't trying to get at you. And I know you think consciously about these things.

The key here is that the science is very complicated, but the IPCC really does represent the concensus of climate scientists on the issue.

The dodgy use of statistics and the misleading media statements almost all come from the "business as usual" side of the discussion. They don't dispute climate change, global warming, increasing sea level, increasing climate extremes - so they focus on sowing some doubt that humans have any blame or can do anything about it. This (in turn) is perfect food for our natural desire to feel blameless and focus on our small lives. Funnily enough, they don't usually do any research themselves as to the cause, just tell everyone that there isn't enough proof yet that humans are to blame. Of course, once there is they'll tell us that its too late to do anything about it, or that it's too expensive to do anything about it.

What do YOU think the real result of major climate change, or rising sea levels will be?

I suggest it will be the cause of the next major global war, or an enormous proliferation of small wars.