Hit and Run -HMB

morspeed

Just the threat of filing should do the trick. Write the company an email...

I bet youre right. If the insurance co lawyer is anything like ours, he wont get out of bed for less than $2K, hence at $500 payout will be there cheapest option for them.

Lets make this real clear. The issue is that YOUR ins company is not obliged to pay - thats what an excess is. However, the other parties company IS obliged to pay. Go for his company - your ins co can give you the contact details..., if you want to make them think you are real serious, then download the small claims forms, complete them, and include a copy with your email. Tell them they have 24 hrs to pay before filing....

Reply from ISO

"The third party is the launch owner.

If the launch owner has insurance, he may be able to make a claim to his insurer to cover the loss. However, the option to make a claim will be up to the launch owner; you will not be able to contact the insurer to make a claim on the launch owner’s behalf"

dont read to much into that. They are saying that you cannot claim on the launchowners policy. You are not doing that. The Third Party (launch owner) HAS already made that claim. They are correct, you cannot claim on his behalf. Remember that the insurance companies policies are designed to make it difficult to understand, and easy to give up. As in this case, they don't think that they will have to pay, or are unlikely to be forced to do so. I understand that there is already a payment made, or an agreement to settle between the insurance companies.

By all means make your claim directly to the launch owner. However, he will most likely refer that to the insurance co... Perhaps the small claims docs could list the launch owner and or his agent.... Then send it to both of them...

By all means make your claim directly to the launch owner. However, he will most likely refer that to the insurance co... Perhaps the small claims docs could list the launch owner and or his agent.... Then send it to both of them...

May as well give it a go eh...

Ive been here in similar circumstances and after 6 months of trying to do the right thing, i went to the small claims. Problem solved straight away. Should have listened to good advice given to me 6 months before!!!

Dont piss around straight to small claims!!

Ok, so the boat that hit me has been identified and the skipper has put his hand up and said yep he had a linkage failure which is likely the truth as I now have a witness who saw him hit another boat also while bouncing around the fairway.

I have never made a marine insurance claim before and from what i am reading the above stories of insurance loss are confusing me.

As I see it...I pay the $500 excess and my insurer fronts for all costs to repair.

Then my insurer chases the insurance company of the boat at fault for the full cost of repairs including the $500 excess i fronted.

The other insurance company pays in full to my insurance company and then my insurance company forwards me the $500 excess they have recovered on my behalf.

All this seems fair and reasonable and everybody's happy.

Tell him he's dreaming!, I hear some one out there say?.

In theory, thaat is how it should work. Your insurance company shoud do everything, and they should pay you within a few days of finalising the costs. However, they are not obliged to give you back the excess... That is where small claims comes in...

In theory, thaat is how it should work. Your insurance company shoud do everything, and they should pay you within a few days of finalising the costs. However, they are not obliged to give you back the excess... That is where small claims comes in...

That just seems plain wrong,... so effectively my insurance company will profit $500 on my misfortune on top of the fact I pay them a chunk of cash every 12 months.

yep. They can sometimes pay you the total including the excess, but are not (normally) obliged to do so. Read the fine print on your policy! Does not mean you cannot get the excess (called a deductible in some countries) back from the 3rd party though.

Turns out the guy that hit you at HMB Marina is a renter! If you have an issue getting your excess back talk to marina management, I'm sure they would not be impressed & probably review his ongoing tenure...

Thx for that heads up, for now I will trust he will do the right thing, apart from the curious path travelled to track him down I have no reason to believe he would not play fair.

I don't know him but he sure does have a nice boat and looks after it very well.

Ok ..the boat is fixed back in the water 2 1/2 weeks after discovering the damage, insurance sorted etc....here's how it played out.

Guy who hit me took a few days to put his hand up which did not impress me because the accident was not your scuffed bumper in the carpark type deal , it was fairly obvious to any one with half a brain that another boat got smacked around when the "linkage failed".

Total bill including hardstand was close to 3.5 k.

Baileys were outstanding, claim was approved within 7 days and within 10 days Baileys

via Lumleys had also approved the waiving of the excess, Lumleys will be chasing Marsh insurance (I understand Marsh is the other guys insurer) for the excess.

Craig at Boat spray did the work - he had done a fair bit of work on the boat only 3 months earlier and i was very happy with it.

Boatspray HMB is outstanding; Craig's team do what they say they will at the price they say they will and in the time they say they will.- a pleasure to deal with and really impressive colour matching dudes.

Baileys were outstanding, claim was approved within 7 days and within 10 days Baileys

via Lumleys had also approved the waiving of the excess, Lumleys will be chasing Marsh insurance (I understand Marsh is the other guys insurer) for the excess.

Great service from Baileys!

I wish Mariner had done the same for me. I am trying to complain via the ISO but as usual Mariner (Vero) won't play ball.

Great service from Baileys!

I wish Mariner had done the same for me. I am trying to complain via the ISO but as usual Mariner (Vero) won't play ball.

Yep , no complaints about Baileys service, best of luck with your issue...i still struggle to get my head around having to pay an excess when damage caused to your boat was completely out of your control and you are not at fault.

My only dissatisfaction with the whole ordeal is having to groom the boat when back in the piss after repairs,if i ever go through this exercise again i will insist the boat is cleaned up, decks scrubbed etc, can't see any reason why the insurance shouldn't pay for this service and if i had of thought of it i would have asked Craig to add this to the quote.

Archived