Bora Bora

Bad Kitty

I did many years ago when delivering a boat to the US which does leave me wondering a little why BK? Nice place for sure but it's tiny and full of resorts chocker with loud yanks.

I'd pick Niue as a out there place to go suss before I picked Bora Bora. Mind you Bora Bora does have other islands closer than Niue.

If you do go to Bora Bora you have to hit Tahiti and Venus Beach. Don't take the wife and do wear goods sunnies. You'll find Polynesian blood mixed with French to be a very wondrous thing ;)

Thanks, Bora Bora isn't the whole purpose, I should have spelled it out better.

Loose plan is Ak-Bora Bora, Moorea, and a bit of an explore round there, then Raivavae (spelling?) then a month or so at Autitaki for a bit of kiting, then back this way, via Tonga if time allows.

Bora Bora looks so beautiful, great photo op, & it feels like a place you just have to visit?

So thanks for the input, let you all know if its happening & you can start blanking out sections of the calendar for crew slots! :thumbup:

Anchoring on the sand flats at both Bora Bora and Moorea is outstanding on a cat. The water is just so clear. Quite good kiting at Bora Bora I would have thought on the SE corner.

And the local stingrays are friendly.

P0000275.JPG

Both are great lagoons but the township at Bora Bora isn't much.

Make sure you have dinner at the Pirates Bar at Bora Bora.

They have floodlights over the bay and the Manta rays come into feed, best floor show ever.

Can you enter at Bora bora??
We did but we also had to report in at Papeete when we got there and weren't allowed to stop at any islands in between..... even though we did.... and got grizzled at large as they knew... Bugger.

It's easy to lurk into the Club Med on Moorea and play up then run ;)

here's what they say:

Vaitape is a Port of Entry, but if you are checking into French Polynesia here, formalities will have to be completed in Papeete.

Even if you checked in before in Tahiti, you need to check-in with the Gendarmerie Nationale and check-out with them before leaving for final clearance. It is very important to have outward clearance papers at your next port of call.

When you check out, you will be able to get your bond money back at a local bank.

If sailing direct from NZ I would stay south then turn left and go to Papeete to enter, then it's downhill through all the islands and check out from Bora bora.

Joined a Cat in Bora Bora 2.5 yrs ago for a 2 month jaunt down to Tonga...only had a week in Bora Bora (and unfortunately didnt see the other French Polynesian Isles) but was nice-def would go back to see more...you can def clear customs there - but think the bond (roughly $1000 NZ) is payable in Papette (although can be claimed ie refunded on departure in Bora Bora)-others may have more up to date info on that...

Autuitaki is over rated in my opinion - besides having a great Kite boarding spot -the town basin (where you anchor ) is a dirty little hole ( basically) and I found 10 days there enough (tho I wasnt kite boarding) ..channel entrance needs to be taken with care - quite narrow and shallow inside - Navionics is about 400 metres out on entrance...

Suwarrow (Northern Cooks ) is a definite IMO...a week there is a must...

Hadnt seen Davids response when I posted...

Do you know if arriving from NZ you can go past Papeete and check in The Tuomotus then come down to Papeete for the bond .....?

Fuzzy memory here but most boats coming from the east stop at Marquesas and Tuamotus, stop in and visit the local policeman , then clear in "officially" when they hit Papeete, so probably OK. But I am happy to be corrected on that.

Archived