Dodger for Atom Ant

nz moth

Hey guys,

I am trying figure out a way to but a dodger on the Ant to make it a lot more dryer when I go off shore. I want it to be on the lines of what a class 40 or open 60 have. Has anyone got any ideas that might help me? or know of anyone that could do a design and build?

BrunelOpen60-00001.jpg

Simply extending the roofline like in that picture isn't going to keep you a lot dryer, would certainly help keep the interior dry though, so is still a good idea.

IMHO Get some really good wet weather gear, if a big roof on a small boat worked the open 40 guys would have them.

There was a thread awhile back about someone who took a clapped out dodger (fabric over bows) as a 'mould' - and then laid up a hard dodger that looked for all the world like it was made of fabric. Had windows and all. Damn tricky I thought.

I don't know how to find these things but maybe some one else does..

There was a thread awhile back about someone who took a clapped out dodger (fabric over bows) as a 'mould' - and then laid up a hard dodger that looked for all the world like it was made of fabric. Had windows and all. Damn tricky I thought.

I seen a boat with one of those. Laid glass over the canvas like paper maschae. Complete with perspecs window. Looked awful but very practical

I think to get the lines right for a dodger like the one above you will need to put a complete cabin top cover on?

Alex Marshall made one for his Tracker. Looks like a real canvas dodger only it is solid glass with windows. Don't think this is what AA junior wants though.

I think the only way that will be practical and also still look semi nice is a small dodger over the companionway like the volvos have. You'd have to move the keyboards to either side but I'd recommend that for offshore anyway otherwise you'll have more water inside the boat than out

Form follows function, if it gives you somewhere reasonably dry to sit while sailing 2000nm by yourself then who cares if it looks a bit off, if its designed right it would still look ok.

Resale for racing boats are a complete disaster no matter what you do IMHO so who cares how it looks to others.

You may as well have the boat exactly how you like it and get the maximum possible use out of it while you own it for best "value".

If you are single handed across the tasman no one will see it anyway.

Biggest issue is all the lines coming back to keyboard on the turtle above the hatch, if you redirect them, where do they go?, leave them and how do you make it watertight?

Possibly, still recon the way to go would be to just extend the existing roofline by 500 or so the keep the water outside like on the 950's.

If you think a dodger will keep you dry in rough seas It doesn't.

080328akilaria950.jpg

Archived