Dodger for Atom Ant

nz moth

Great work guys,

All the best for the race

Having a good dodger and keeping as much water out of the boat is often under estimated IMHO

Especially short handed when a dry off watch is most inportant and comes into it own after a few days at sea

looks just like JH drew it ?

Yes it does however you will notice that the finished product is pointed towards the front where as JH drawing was straight sided ( followed the hatch opening ). This would have required the moving and re-routing a lot of stuff including the top winches. The way I designed and built it has resulted in a clip on-clip off lid where nothing has to be altered.

As far as the back end of the thing, there was little option other than to extend the existing. I was restricted on how far to bring it back ( not as far as JH drawing ) as once again I didn't want to move the sheet winches either.

Must add that the JH drawing was very good especially as he probably hadn't been on the boat and was likely to have worked off the photo only.

Will also add that Cory is a pleasure to work with. BEAU MARINE are happy to offer him a little bit of sponsorship and wish him well in the future.

Good to see young guys getting in to keel boat ownership.

Nice job Beau and good onya sponsoring the guys. I like their attitude. I always thought NZ Moth was a bit of a dreamer. Just goes to show how wrong I was!! :oops: :oops: :oops: Good on you guys. Go the mighty Ant!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Nice job Beau and good onya sponsoring the guys. I like their attitude. I always thought NZ Moth was a bit of a dreamer. Just goes to show how wrong I was!! :oops: :oops: :oops: Good on you guys. Go the mighty Ant!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Must say the sponsorship was not huge but it all helps.

As far as NZ Moth being a dreamer ? Well yes he has a dream, including intending to do a lot of single handed stuff over many miles. At this stage of his life ( 18 yrs old ) he needs experience to reach his goals so a bit of encouragement from an 'Old Fart' hopefully helps in some way.

Unfortunately they have withdrawn from the Fiji race but the experience gained during the preparation including getting the boat to Cat One will benefit them later on.

We will hear more about them I am sure.

Certainly looks a good compromise and suits the boat, how is it actually attached?

The 'Top' has had a lot of positive stuff said about it which is pleasing to all involved.

At the moment it is fixed with screws combined with a little bit of marine sealer in a couple of strategic places. I ran a bit of rubber seal around it which has compressed to create a seal. We ran out of time in the end. The intention is to install solid fastening bases for machine screws which will allow easy removal while remaining water tight.

Archived