Parachute sea anchors on a multihull

rigger

Bad Kitty

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:08 am Post subject: Parachute sea anchors

Any one had experience using parachute sea anchors on a multihull?

Just looking at the various deployment systems and want to know what works best.

Application is 42' bridgedeck cruising cat heading to the Islands this winter.

Also interested in drogues. Any help appreciated,

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crew.org.nz(a.k.a. Squid)

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:12 pm

Try this

http://www.maxingout.com/storm_management.htm

BTW I prefer a drogue to a sea anchor so I don't agree with everything he says, but if you choose the sea anchor this guy is as good as anything I've read.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brien

Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:49 pm

As crew on similar sized cat NZ to Tahiti. Motored thru eye of one low with 60knots in the wall. when second arrived we deployed shute while still 30 knots by attaching shute to bridle that had been taped to stanchions down outside of one hull before leaving port. Lowered shute and recovery line and buoy in water and slowly motored up wind and then around in a big arc with the bridle on the inside hull until we were down wind 180 degrees from start point. the tension on the shute attachment pulled bow to wind and we cut motor.

The first low knocked the stuffing out of us. The second one just as strong was a breeze. The turbulance created by the shute sapped the energy out of the approaching waves and we just nodded away for 48 hours moving back about 15 miles. A coffee mug was quite safe to sit on the cabin table. We waited till sea state subsided and wind down to about 20 knots before retrieving with no drama.

piclarke

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:00 am

Try this website. Rated the best in the world and orders are received from the U.S. navy. The seams don't part and they have drogues specificaly for multihulls also. Made here in N.Z. One can visit the factory to view and get expert advice strait from the horses mouth - so to speak.- Motueka. I think you will find the sea anchor is the way to go.

http://www.paraseaanchor.com/

Hope this is of help.

Cheers.

PaulR

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:36 am

Most informative and worth the study.

Thanks.

Archived