Sign in to follow this  
MartinRF

Which clear 'varnish' on epoxycoated wood?

My old cat has clear finish on its decks:

http://hem.bredband.net/b262106/Boat/images/launched_09.jpg

When building this boat back in the mid 1980s we had a friend working as a chemist for International. He supplied us with the stuff that is used to filter out UV so we had 3x the standard UV protection. This worked fine for many years but eventually I had to renovate and had to use the standard two-part 'varnish'. I don't remember now if I used Hempel or International.

After only a few seasons this 'varnish' started to peel off from the epoxy and it is clear our feeble, Scandinavian sun is causing this since the areas of the aft decks shadowed by the tillers are OK.

So here is my question: What clear coating works best on epoxy (apart form custom formulations out of reach)?

TIA

/Martin

(sea and lake ice broke up last week)

Try get some "Awlwood" I have been selling it under another (previous) name for a while now and getting very good feedback. Its single pack but outlasts everything by all accounts.

the other more expensive option is what I used on my boat (topsides over the paint and on some clear coated carbon bits and pieces) which is Awlcraft Clear and so far its been very good.

Awlwood's web page states: "CURRENTLY ONLY AVAILABLE IN ASIA PACIFIC" so I have to move :-)

/Martin

It's not far away for the rest of the world, sorting out labels ect...

A little further research into the Awl-stuff brought me to this web page.

It may be that the International line of products are largely identical to the Awl products. The former are widely available over here. I will contact their customer support.

I have yet to look into durapox.

/Martin

International tells me to use their 2-part 'varnish' for best UV-protection -- but I must put on several layers.

I have emailed Hempel as well but they have yet to answer.

Looking up Durepox brings back (faint) memories. I think my first exposure to 2-part paint back in the 1970s was not polyurethane but epoxy-based paint.

/Martin

I clear finished an epoxy eglass stripplank boat with a great kiwi product called LUSTEROID. Still in reasonable condition with no recoats but has had covers for five years.....still that s twenty years. If only I could get that stuff still I would be rapped just amazingly good stuff but a bit of a learning curve to spray it well. Watching to see what you come up with so good luck!!