Sign in to follow this  
spinner

Ideas on a first cruiser

Hi All have just joined this cool forum I'm amazed by the wealth of info here.

I'm wanting some advice on a first yacht to learn sail on and eventually use as a coastal cruiser. I know this has been done to death, I'v read what post I can find on here and else where

I'm not totally new to sailing growing up sailing lasers and hobby cats and then spent a few years wind surfing.

I'm based in Christchurch so the yachts on offer are limited. my thoughts so far have been an H28 even though every one says they are slow the sound like a good place to start, option 2 would be a Nova 28 or Cav 30 or whiting 29.

I'm hoping for info on what to look for and and what to stay away from, not interested in a wooden Hull and don't want to buy cheap and have to spend thousands doing a fix up.

Any advice and thoughts would be greatly appreciated :D

Welcome to crew.org :D

I assume you are after a keel boat. All the ones on your list are great boats. H28s are very popular so that must mean something. I think they are great value for money and very safe boats

Fiberglass is great as long as there is no osmosis. Get a good marine survey before you buy

If you stick with a good kiwi designed glass boat you can't really go wrong

Best of luck :)

Welcome to crew.org :D

I assume you are after a keel boat. All the ones on your list are great boats. H28s are very popular so that must mean something. I think they are great value for money and very safe boats

Fiberglass is great as long as there is no osmosis. Get a good marine survey before you buy

If you stick with a good kiwi designed glass boat you can't really go wrong

Best of luck :)

Hi Royale - yes looking for a Keel boat - don't want a yacht in my back yard and don't really like the idea of towing a large boat around.

Sounds like a good survey is a must, I'm want a yacht to escape from work hence not wanting a doer-uper, apart from the obvious annual up keep :thumbup:

There are many kiwi boats that would suit your purpose. A Cav 32 would still be forgiving like the H28 but perform better. In Christchurch the only safe convenient place to keep a keeler is the inner harbor pile moorings which is impossible to get a spot unless you buy a boat that is already there. Other than that Diamond Harbour is a good spot that has pile moorings for $450 per year, you just have to catch the ferry across.

Two yacht designs you could consider are a Davidson28 or a Marauder.

Both of them sail well and are cruising friendly.

a.f.u

yeah I do like the look of the D28 the marauder looks to be a bit more expensive, I'm unsure if I want a full Keel or a fin Keel, as I'm wanting a sea kindly yacht that will take me up and down the east coast comfortably, and maybe further once I have a little more experience :thumbup:

not interested in a wooden Hull

Out of interest, why not a wooden hull?

To be honest I love the idea of wood other then the fact I am lead to believe they do require more work to maintain, and being a tradesmen the last thing I want to spend my weekends doing more work on a yacht.

IMO a wooden hull like double diagonal kauri glassed is no more work than a old glass hull and a bonus it doesn't get osmosis. The wooden deck attached to the wooden hull is where I see most people working, especially if it has old teak!

Hi there all the boats mentioned are good boats its really going to come down to budget. H28 have a good reputation but for me they are too slow and unrewarding to sail.

Weather windows in NZ tend to be short so to me part of a good sea boat is one that can arrive in port before the southerly arrives at you. I would pick a cav32 over a h28 every day of the week.

I look at it like this

Cav32 chico30 pretty similar go anywhere boats with okish boat speed.

Dav28 Whiting 29 much of a muchness different versions of the same great theme. Bit faster than chico/cav but a bit less solid for coastal (although plenty have done coastal)

Maurauder the most spacious and fastest but the most expensive and probably a tad bouncer for coastal than the lot but still perfectly capable.

Full keelboats arent my cup of tea. Thyre hard to park in a mariner slow they dont point aswell require more antifoul etc

Wood always feels damp to me.Timber tops dnt have the soft curves that glass boats have. MY pic day sails over night etc Maurauder, coastal and cook strait cav32.