Ideas on a first cruiser

spinner

This can vouch for this boat http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-m ... 980202.htm Quicker than a Cav30, and a brand new 20hp engine is a big bonus for coastal crusing. And maybe Bimini Babe might be convinced to deliver it :P ?

Hee hee, thanks for the plug Phil, cheque's in the post... :wink: :lol:

As far as delivery goes... yup I'd probably be keen! :thumbup:

timber boats are a mixed bag depending on builder, quality of materials, glass layup and skill of builder.

Triple diag done properly is best. Double OK. But issues around water ingress in skin fittings, and poorly sealed-glassed areas will result in soft areas an glass delamination.

Unglassed timbers is just work and $$$ for no real advantage of fun.

The biggest problem is fresh water ingress around deck cabin and even topsides.

Most timber will not suffer from rot with salt water ingress but fresh water ingress will happen at some stage.

GRP is the best. And Osmosis is not a big issue and has never ever been a problem that has compromised a hulls strength in NZ.

If you like to worry and like hard work and spending $$$ Then go wood.

Remember most wooden boats in NZ are over 30 years old and in need of time work.

Strip plank ceder is problematic too.

While I agree very much with most of what you say, the cheap GRP boats are also often over 30 years old now or approaching it . Having spent a haulout in the 1990's sometime next to an H28 with osmosis, where they shaved that mother down to a point where I honestly was worried that the thing would fold down on itself like pussinboots' shoes ,and you could literally see peoples shadows through the boat as they walked past on the other side , I'd be just as wary of GRP as cold moulded timber.

Actually further to that last post ( the window just would not let me go on typing)the whole thread in general is bang on the money.

Continuing that GRP boat comment though. The big things I'd be looking for apart from the obvious of osmosis( which as Swell says isn't going to sink the boat) is crevice corrosion in captivated fittings like the stemhead and chainplates ( some boats had bolts into epoxy with no backing plates or nuts), and an assessment of the keelbolts and rudder post.

And the other thing on any build boat is the engine and hours/ condition. No point buying a 30 K boat thinking you have a deal,and then have to spend 30 K on an engine.

Actually I would look very closely at Bimini babes boat if I was in the market. Cat 1 isn't easy to get and it has all the gear. It is a steal really, considering you could leave for the Islands in a week or two.

For a coastal cruiser , I have imense respect for the D28 though, we sailed beside one for a decade or so as cruising mates and that boat did everything well, and accomodated a family while doing it.

Oh and another point on another post since we have no F'ING EDIT button because of a couple of troll wankers and the adults here have to pay for it,

a lot of those American GRP boats of a particular age have balsa core decks with skins of glass and some blocking for fittings.

You need to know whether there is still wood in there, or chicken noodle soup.

Awesome stuff this really great hearing some honest opinion's :D

I guess I might have to re think the GPR Verse wood, I called an insurance broker a few days ago to get an idea of annual costs to insure a yacht in lyttelton, the first question was "is it wood" I assumed from this that maybe wood was an issue.

Having seen BB's boat on trademe has really made me think twice, it's certainly way more then a GPR H28 which seem to be going for similar coin.

Good thing I'm not in to much of a rush, really trying to find a yacht that ticks most of the boxes on my list.

Good boat, extremely good price, ready to go (cat 1 last year) BB's one would have to be the go.

Curiosity question BB , What have you got your sights on as a replacement??

Nice to hear so many good things about Sala! :D I do wonder actually if the photos are a bit misleading - she is relatively small inside, for a 30-footer, having been designed as a race boat before she was a cruiser. But I wanted the photos to show the layout properly, which is why I used a wide angle lens. It's one of my pet hates when looking at boat pics - trying to piece together all the close-ups of the interior to get a sense of the layout!

Actually she was never in Cat 1, I kept her UK registration when I bought her, so there was no need for an inspection before leaving NZ waters. But I brought her up to Cat 1 standard all the same - it all seems to be common sense stuff after all, and I'm a bit fastidious when it comes to safety offshore... So she's effectively Cat 1 but just lacking the bit of paper to say so. Some of the offshore gear isn't included in the selling price (liferaft and wind vane steering), but is available by separate neg.

I've got my eye on a Van De Stadt 34 that some friends are selling at the moment, but currently lacking the funds as I've just gone and bought a couple of bits of dirt here in the BOI. Whoops. Oh well, it's all part of the masterplan... Build 2 houses, get a decent passive income, then go and sail the world. :thumbup:

. In Christchurch the only safe convenient place to keep a keeler is the inner harbor pile moorings which is impossible to get a spot unless you buy a boat that is already there. Other than that Diamond Harbour is a good spot that has pile moorings for $450 per year, you just have to catch the ferry across.

Does anyone know who one has to contact re availability of mooring in Diamond harbour. At this stage I have been looking at yachts already on moorings, finding a good boat and a sheltered mooring are not easy in this neck of the woods.

If I can find a good mooring I can look outside of christchurch at yachts :thumbup:

I think you contact the christchurch city council, there is a lady that deals with it. The back row is only good to about 26ft but the front row can handle upto about 33ft. There are normally plenty free, although all might be rented, so you have to track down the people renting the empty ones and see if they want to sublet. Its pretty cheap.. Although we are currently sitting in a marina in Kudat Malaysia that is totally free :)

I think you contact the christchurch city council, there is a lady that deals with it. The back row is only good to about 26ft but the front row can handle upto about 33ft. There are normally plenty free, although all might be rented, so you have to track down the people renting the empty ones and see if they want to sublet. Its pretty cheap.. Although we are currently sitting in a marina in Kudat Malaysia that is totally free :)

Thanks for the heads up I'll look into it - it's my fav bay to drop anchor and just chill out, and only a 5 minute ferry ride away it's almost perfect :thumbup:

If this the sala im thinking of it use to race out of Mana in the late 80s. It was faster than our grp nova28 and was division c champ. I think we only beat Sala once on line. It was especially good in the lumpy nw we get but it couldnt get anywhere near the cav30 that was a div2 boat.

I appreciate a good wood boat but Im a grp fan. Doing a osmo peel looks scary but its not really. On many grp boats on a sunny day u can see the water shadow from inside the boat that doesnt mean it isnt strong. All boat construction has its weaknesses but I still love the soft curves/ radius & deck treads grp decks have. Timber tops always feel hard edged to me and i still maintain grp is stronger & has a better gloss finish than timber but each to their own. You will know what u like when u start looking and boat shopping is always fun :)

Nothing wrong with a professionally built wooden boat - just have it checked out properly especially the deck and cabin as fresh water is the enemy.

Have you considered a larger trailer sailer ? Much cheaper to own and maintain and some have retracting fin keels and probably outperform similar size keel boats. Somebody else on here can probably advise some good designs. Make sure whatever you get that is reasonably quick, not a dog. Boats always need money spent on them after purchase so try and find one where most of the work has been done. Bigger is always a lot pricier to own in terms of costs.

Welcome to Crew.org Spinner :thumbup:

I'm also here in Christchurch, having recently purchased a Contest 29 in Kaitaia and just completed sailed her home. I dont have enough experience of the different types to be of any real help in that respect, but I have just been through the process of finding moorings here and I'm happy to answer any questions/tell you how I found things, if it's of any help.....

Thanks for the heads up I'll look into it - it's my fav bay to drop anchor and just chill out, and only a 5 minute ferry ride away it's almost perfect :thumbup:

It is beautiful, but in recent times I understand that there have been quite a few problems with theft/interference. This hasn't been a problem in the past, but the Police have cracked down on boy racers around the Port Hills between Christchurch and Lyttelton where they had been creating a bit of havoc. I understand that Cass Bay had a bit of a problem in that regard......but now the problem has moved further around to diamond harbour where the Police aren't patroling to the same extent. You need to make your own mind up as to the risks or otherwise, but it was enough to put me off the Diamond Harbour option for mooring anyway.

Nothing wrong with a professionally built wooden boat - just have it checked out properly especially the deck and cabin as fresh water is the enemy.

Have you considered a larger trailer sailer ? Much cheaper to own and maintain and some have retracting fin keels and probably outperform similar size keel boats. Somebody else on here can probably advise some good designs. Make sure whatever you get that is reasonably quick, not a dog. Boats always need money spent on them after purchase so try and find one where most of the work has been done. Bigger is always a lot pricier to own in terms of costs.

hey mate thanks for the heads up - to be honest a trailer sailor has never crossed my mind, may suit some folks but not my cup of tea. and lets be honest it would take some big balls sailing a trailer sailor up the east coat.

Welcome to Crew.org Spinner :thumbup:

I'm also here in Christchurch, having recently purchased a Contest 29 in Kaitaia and just completed sailed her home. I dont have enough experience of the different types to be of any real help in that respect, but I have just been through the process of finding moorings here and I'm happy to answer any questions/tell you how I found things, if it's of any help.....

Wow nice looking Yacht did you have much trouble finding a mooring, Diamond harbour does worry me a bit for security - would be interested to hear your thoughts, and how you got on finding a berth. :thumbup:

Archived