Sign in to follow this  
spinner

Ideas on a first cruiser

Good call Wheels,. we meet many of them in North and Central America - good solid cruisers and a better than average turn of speed.

This can vouch for this boat http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-m ... 980202.htm Quicker than a Cav30, and a brand new 20hp engine is a big bonus for coastal crusing. And maybe Bimini Babe might be convinced to deliver it :P ?

Hee hee, thanks for the plug Phil, cheque's in the post... :wink: :lol:

As far as delivery goes... yup I'd probably be keen! :thumbup:

timber boats are a mixed bag depending on builder, quality of materials, glass layup and skill of builder.

Triple diag done properly is best. Double OK. But issues around water ingress in skin fittings, and poorly sealed-glassed areas will result in soft areas an glass delamination.

Unglassed timbers is just work and $$$ for no real advantage of fun.

The biggest problem is fresh water ingress around deck cabin and even topsides.

Most timber will not suffer from rot with salt water ingress but fresh water ingress will happen at some stage.

GRP is the best. And Osmosis is not a big issue and has never ever been a problem that has compromised a hulls strength in NZ.

If you like to worry and like hard work and spending $$$ Then go wood.

Remember most wooden boats in NZ are over 30 years old and in need of time work.

Strip plank ceder is problematic too.

While I agree very much with most of what you say, the cheap GRP boats are also often over 30 years old now or approaching it . Having spent a haulout in the 1990's sometime next to an H28 with osmosis, where they shaved that mother down to a point where I honestly was worried that the thing would fold down on itself like pussinboots' shoes ,and you could literally see peoples shadows through the boat as they walked past on the other side , I'd be just as wary of GRP as cold moulded timber.

Actually further to that last post ( the window just would not let me go on typing)the whole thread in general is bang on the money.

Continuing that GRP boat comment though. The big things I'd be looking for apart from the obvious of osmosis( which as Swell says isn't going to sink the boat) is crevice corrosion in captivated fittings like the stemhead and chainplates ( some boats had bolts into epoxy with no backing plates or nuts), and an assessment of the keelbolts and rudder post.

And the other thing on any build boat is the engine and hours/ condition. No point buying a 30 K boat thinking you have a deal,and then have to spend 30 K on an engine.

Actually I would look very closely at Bimini babes boat if I was in the market. Cat 1 isn't easy to get and it has all the gear. It is a steal really, considering you could leave for the Islands in a week or two.

For a coastal cruiser , I have imense respect for the D28 though, we sailed beside one for a decade or so as cruising mates and that boat did everything well, and accomodated a family while doing it.

Oh and another point on another post since we have no F'ING EDIT button because of a couple of troll wankers and the adults here have to pay for it,

a lot of those American GRP boats of a particular age have balsa core decks with skins of glass and some blocking for fittings.

You need to know whether there is still wood in there, or chicken noodle soup.

That would be campbells soup? The key here is well maintained, and beware cheap boats. Ive never had the luxury of glass but regarding wood I agree that a well built 3 skin glued (not riveted) and glassed boat is very low maintenance but a good glass boat is always less work. I have a friend with farr 38 and I think he buffed it about 15 years ago- thats it! All the usual maintenance stuff is the same, lines, sails, electronics and especially the donk but no worries about the hull and decks. Another factor is how long you want it for, long term ownership warrants more $$ upfront to get the right boat but if it only for a year or two then condition is less of a concern if you get it for the right price.

Awesome stuff this really great hearing some honest opinion's :D

I guess I might have to re think the GPR Verse wood, I called an insurance broker a few days ago to get an idea of annual costs to insure a yacht in lyttelton, the first question was "is it wood" I assumed from this that maybe wood was an issue.

Having seen BB's boat on trademe has really made me think twice, it's certainly way more then a GPR H28 which seem to be going for similar coin.

Good thing I'm not in to much of a rush, really trying to find a yacht that ticks most of the boxes on my list.

Good boat, extremely good price, ready to go (cat 1 last year) BB's one would have to be the go.

Curiosity question BB , What have you got your sights on as a replacement??

Nice to hear so many good things about Sala! :D I do wonder actually if the photos are a bit misleading - she is relatively small inside, for a 30-footer, having been designed as a race boat before she was a cruiser. But I wanted the photos to show the layout properly, which is why I used a wide angle lens. It's one of my pet hates when looking at boat pics - trying to piece together all the close-ups of the interior to get a sense of the layout!

Actually she was never in Cat 1, I kept her UK registration when I bought her, so there was no need for an inspection before leaving NZ waters. But I brought her up to Cat 1 standard all the same - it all seems to be common sense stuff after all, and I'm a bit fastidious when it comes to safety offshore... So she's effectively Cat 1 but just lacking the bit of paper to say so. Some of the offshore gear isn't included in the selling price (liferaft and wind vane steering), but is available by separate neg.

I've got my eye on a Van De Stadt 34 that some friends are selling at the moment, but currently lacking the funds as I've just gone and bought a couple of bits of dirt here in the BOI. Whoops. Oh well, it's all part of the masterplan... Build 2 houses, get a decent passive income, then go and sail the world. :thumbup:

. In Christchurch the only safe convenient place to keep a keeler is the inner harbor pile moorings which is impossible to get a spot unless you buy a boat that is already there. Other than that Diamond Harbour is a good spot that has pile moorings for $450 per year, you just have to catch the ferry across.

Does anyone know who one has to contact re availability of mooring in Diamond harbour. At this stage I have been looking at yachts already on moorings, finding a good boat and a sheltered mooring are not easy in this neck of the woods.

If I can find a good mooring I can look outside of christchurch at yachts :thumbup: