Sign in to follow this  
spinner

Ideas on a first cruiser

I think you contact the christchurch city council, there is a lady that deals with it. The back row is only good to about 26ft but the front row can handle upto about 33ft. There are normally plenty free, although all might be rented, so you have to track down the people renting the empty ones and see if they want to sublet. Its pretty cheap.. Although we are currently sitting in a marina in Kudat Malaysia that is totally free :)

I think you contact the christchurch city council, there is a lady that deals with it. The back row is only good to about 26ft but the front row can handle upto about 33ft. There are normally plenty free, although all might be rented, so you have to track down the people renting the empty ones and see if they want to sublet. Its pretty cheap.. Although we are currently sitting in a marina in Kudat Malaysia that is totally free :)

Thanks for the heads up I'll look into it - it's my fav bay to drop anchor and just chill out, and only a 5 minute ferry ride away it's almost perfect :thumbup:

If this the sala im thinking of it use to race out of Mana in the late 80s. It was faster than our grp nova28 and was division c champ. I think we only beat Sala once on line. It was especially good in the lumpy nw we get but it couldnt get anywhere near the cav30 that was a div2 boat.

I appreciate a good wood boat but Im a grp fan. Doing a osmo peel looks scary but its not really. On many grp boats on a sunny day u can see the water shadow from inside the boat that doesnt mean it isnt strong. All boat construction has its weaknesses but I still love the soft curves/ radius & deck treads grp decks have. Timber tops always feel hard edged to me and i still maintain grp is stronger & has a better gloss finish than timber but each to their own. You will know what u like when u start looking and boat shopping is always fun :)

Nothing wrong with a professionally built wooden boat - just have it checked out properly especially the deck and cabin as fresh water is the enemy.

Have you considered a larger trailer sailer ? Much cheaper to own and maintain and some have retracting fin keels and probably outperform similar size keel boats. Somebody else on here can probably advise some good designs. Make sure whatever you get that is reasonably quick, not a dog. Boats always need money spent on them after purchase so try and find one where most of the work has been done. Bigger is always a lot pricier to own in terms of costs.

Welcome to Crew.org Spinner :thumbup:

I'm also here in Christchurch, having recently purchased a Contest 29 in Kaitaia and just completed sailed her home. I dont have enough experience of the different types to be of any real help in that respect, but I have just been through the process of finding moorings here and I'm happy to answer any questions/tell you how I found things, if it's of any help.....

Thanks for the heads up I'll look into it - it's my fav bay to drop anchor and just chill out, and only a 5 minute ferry ride away it's almost perfect :thumbup:

It is beautiful, but in recent times I understand that there have been quite a few problems with theft/interference. This hasn't been a problem in the past, but the Police have cracked down on boy racers around the Port Hills between Christchurch and Lyttelton where they had been creating a bit of havoc. I understand that Cass Bay had a bit of a problem in that regard......but now the problem has moved further around to diamond harbour where the Police aren't patroling to the same extent. You need to make your own mind up as to the risks or otherwise, but it was enough to put me off the Diamond Harbour option for mooring anyway.

Nothing wrong with a professionally built wooden boat - just have it checked out properly especially the deck and cabin as fresh water is the enemy.

Have you considered a larger trailer sailer ? Much cheaper to own and maintain and some have retracting fin keels and probably outperform similar size keel boats. Somebody else on here can probably advise some good designs. Make sure whatever you get that is reasonably quick, not a dog. Boats always need money spent on them after purchase so try and find one where most of the work has been done. Bigger is always a lot pricier to own in terms of costs.

hey mate thanks for the heads up - to be honest a trailer sailor has never crossed my mind, may suit some folks but not my cup of tea. and lets be honest it would take some big balls sailing a trailer sailor up the east coat.