Sign in to follow this  
spinner

Ideas on a first cruiser

Not all heavy cruisers are comfortable in a strong sea. Mine's a ten ton 32 foot double ender that ought to have a wooden mast but someone decided to go Aluminium which makes her very lively in a chop. The huge beam helps this lively action also. The great Marchaj reckons the weight aloft makes yachts more resistant to being overwhelmed by a large sea. I'm actually considering making a wooden mast or maybe making a lead plug to put inside the mast at the top.

Pretty well exactly Erice, except mine is a ferro and built here by Sayers. I think a bit different in the overhangs and the underwater hull shape.

Maybe the Westsails are balasted with the ali mast in mind. Mines more like a ferro racer dinghy, especially when hard on the wind in a good blow, she rips but hang on tight :lol:

post-11360-141887221355.jpg

Hey sorry I wasn't knocking the Maurauder in any way I think they are an excellent boat. My thoughts where if u and/or your family are new to sailing a cav etc might be a bit less powerful/ intimidating than the Maurauder for going coastal. The Maurauder is an extremely capable boat coastal wise in the right hands.

All the boats mentioned are good boats if u buy a Maurauder take a couple of experienced people with you for your first coastal and enjoy :)

Hey sorry I wasn't knocking the Maurauder in any way I think they are an excellent boat. My thoughts where if u and/or your family are new to sailing a cav etc might be a bit less powerful/ intimidating than the Maurauder for going coastal. The Maurauder is an extremely capable boat coastal wise in the right hands.

All the boats mentioned are good boats if u buy a Maurauder take a couple of experienced people with you for your first coastal and enjoy :)

No it's exactly the sort of info I am after sow1ld, given it's easy to buy and hard to sell I want to make an informed purchased and get it write for both me and my family first time round, I understand there will always be compromises but I'd rather live with a few faults I knew about then a headache I never saw coming.