SUP's

We saw lots of them over Xmas in the BoI - Who has one? Why? (back up dinghy?exercise machine?)Is it worth the space and hassle of carrying around?

Boat I just sailed from Panama to French Poly has two onboard,

Blowup stand ups to be precise

They say they are great, but we never used them at sea other than one of us decided to cross the equator on one, but that's a whole different story.

:wtf: I must have missed something in my education.........SUP? I've got the gist of what you're talking about....but what does it stand for?
We saw lots of them over Xmas in the BoI - Who has one?

We have 2 inflatable SUPs. Bought Inflatable ones as they are easier to store at home (we keep them inflated on the boat), won't dmage paint, or be damaged by deck fittings etc.

Why?

Fun, good excercise. Much more fun to paddle around an anchorage than struggle around in my tiny inflatable dinghy

Is it worth the space and hassle of carrying around?

For sure. We love ours.

I spend a lot of time inTaupo, so at the end of summer, was flying down with my board in its backpack to go for a paddle after work.

Just try one, see what you think.

yep they are a lot of fun, surfing, cruising, you can sit on them and use them like a kayak and some can double as a windsurfer too, even towed the kids behind the dinghy on them, they are worth carrying if you have the space and you can see a lot of stuff in the water when you are standing up paddling.

I've seen a few of them about, but they just seem to be damn hard work for not that much reward?????

Re Replacing the wee tender at the marina with one of these wee sweat makers......what about the gear that inevitably needs to be transfered ship to shore????

Great way to tire the kids out though!

SUPs onboard are great, we use ours more than the dinghy usually, although it is sometimes a bit wobbly getting back from visiting excursions. The inflatable ones are good and dont damage the paintwork, fold up and are great for storing etc but of you get a solid board get one with a mast base fitting so it can take a windsurf rig.

We bought a paddle and use our old Superstar windsurfer. For us its strictly another toy.

I chopped an old centreboard in half to give it a bit of extra stability.

Kids love it. I can feel various muscles stretching after a 10 min jaunt.

Same here... bought a paddle and use my windsurfer... you need to be moving or it's a little unstable. Great fun, even better when there are dolphins playing in the bay like they were 2 weeks ago in Oneroa!

I've got an inflatable one. Got it purely for exercise. Doesn't get used as much as it should :lol:

Really good for core muscles, like standing on a wobble board, but on the water.

I always wanted a kayak to go for a paddle after work, just to get out on the water, get some fresh air and blow the cobwebs out. But then needed a roof rack on the car and somewhere to store a 4 or 5m kayak which is a pain.

I used to keep it deflated in the boot of the car with a towel and spare pair of shorts, hot day after work and just go for a paddle. Really nice on those calm hot summers evenings.

Currently keep it in the dinghy locker so I can cruise up and down the river or pop out to the boat when the owner is already out with the dinghy.

They are just fun and easy.

PS I have a leash on mine to dodge the life jacket rules - don't get me started. I only fall in when its hot, amazing how balance improves when it's cold :lol:

My one cost about that OYSTR. It's hypalon, so good and durable, and inflates to something like 15 psi, so is stiff and solid, solid enough to keep 100 kg of pure mono-ab out of the water :lol:

I compared the cost to any other option of small personal recreational water craft, I.e. a kayak, at about $3k for a nice sea kayak plus another $1k for roof racks, pfd, paddle, skirt etc, the sup was a bargain.

I think the rigid ones are cheaper, and also wider so much more stable, but hassle to transport and store - I'm really happy with my inflatable one, nothing like a lilo :thumbup:

Fish how long does it take to inflate?

Hi Zoe, that is really the main downside, the time to inflate is directly proportional to your fitness level :shock:

The sales guys reckon it can be done or 2 or 3 minutes, which it probably can be, but it takes me closer to maybe 10 min. Pumping it up, especially to 15 psi can be as big a work out as the paddle :lol:

We have two, our third season on them. Seen more fish life in 3 seasons than 2 decades of dinghying around .The kids have had a ball and guess what... NO damage to the boat, no stinking hard plastic embolism coloured excuse for a kayak smacking up the hull in wakes or change of tide.

Definitely worth the hassle to get it blown up and in the water, we have had one for two summers now and it gets used all day mainly by kids as a paddle/ swim platform, there can be 3 or 4 kids at times having fun on it.

The once loved dinghy and outboard now sits idle as the kids paddle around.

This year I didn't even have to deflate it, I either towed it or dragged it up on deck.

Plus it's good for the adults to burn off the Rum, Gin, beer or what ever else you have over indulged in.

Get a BIG one they are really stable and easy to paddle.

Talk to Jeremy at Starboard NZ he will sort you out.

Has anyone used one of the SUPs that take a windsurfer rig as a windsurfer?

Yes! My wife wanted a SUP and I wanted a sub 10 knot windspeed windsurfer with a dagger board, found a WindSUP that fit the bill.

Tried it today with my 7.5 rig and it was really good. Felt a lot lighter than I thought it would and I got it up and planing easily.

Windsup 10ft Exocert from NZSailing.

Archived