Loadcell/ Tension measurement

smithy09

OK. Seeing as there are quite a few people on here who contribute time/Rum/Ideas for nothing, (and the information is GOLD), I would like to contribute to the site.

In a previous life I had an industrial weighing company. We used to provide loadcells for tension measurement to various AC outfits, windsurfers, dingy sailors and the like. Quite a few boats out there were built sitting on our loadcells so the boatbuilders could measure exactly how much cloth and resin had gone into the build..

I just happen to have a 5000kg loadcell left over from those days and a few digital readouts as well. I can calibrate these myself and get them accurate to either 1kg or 0.5kg, (can't remember what the indicators will do). The loadcell is an S type unit with rod end bearings in each end to take a shackle. They will safely take 150% and fail at over 200% (10t). The indicator is battery powered and connected by a cable. (It is Knot a flash wireless remote unit.)

If anyone is interested, I will assemble and calibrate this and make it available on loan free of charge to anyone on Crew.

They are very handy for telling you exactly what rig tension you are loading up to so you can get real time data to back up chainplate/fitting design. Another handy feature is a peak hold function that will capture those sudden loads..

Anyone interested? I can courier anywhere in NZ but it will cost Rum..

Cheers,

Smithy.

This was a FREE offer guys. I will be back offshore in a week or so, so if anyone wants to use this. please let me know soon. Quite surprised no-one had an application where they wanted to measure tension up to 5000kg.. Oh well.

I'm not from overseas. I'm origionally a Westie, hence my love of things V8 and fast I guess. I only work overseas! The loadcell and kit is sitting in my garage (In Mairangi Bay, not Dammam...) if anyone wants to use it.

I'm origionally a Westie, hence my love of things V8 and fast I guess. I only work overseas! The loadcell and kit is sitting in my garage (In Mairangi Bay, not Dammam...) if anyone wants to use it.

So anyone cruising the Bays and see a matt black painted big car, you've just found Smithy's place :lol:

And the load cell will be covered with Lion Red stickers :twisted: :lol:

Smithy09 - sorry should have replied sooner - would love to take you up on your offer at some point in the future. Just not in a position to use it today! When do you get back?

Hey Smithy,

Have I got it right that you can you use this load cell to weigh something so long as you hang it from it? If so, I'd be dead keen to borrow it so I can find out what my sportie and her keel really weighs seeming she is in bits at the moment!

I'm origionally a Westie, hence my love of things V8 and fast I guess. I only work overseas! The loadcell and kit is sitting in my garage (In Mairangi Bay, not Dammam...) if anyone wants to use it.

So anyone cruising the Bays and see a matt black painted big car, you've just found Smithy's place :lol:

And the load cell will be covered with Lion Red stickers :twisted: :lol:

Have you been to my place KM?? :D Come to think of it the ute would look good in matt black.. Run out of Lion Red stickers. They are all over the son's Optimist with some funny green leef stickers...

Hey, I have customers! Hign n fibre and another chap in Wellington. Brilliant! Here are a couple of photos of the set up. Loadcell is 5000kg. Resolution 0.5kg. It has peak hold as well so you can set it up to freeze the display at the max weight/force recorded if you are doing say tests to destruction.. Powered by 4 x AA batteries. It really needs a padded case, so if anyone wants to contribute??? This set up will be available to anyone on crew. Just try to keep it in one piece!!

5t loadcell-1.JPG

5t loadcell-2.JPG

It has peak hold as well so you can set it up to freeze the display at the max weight/force recorded if you are doing say tests to destruction

Mmmm tests to destruction. I can think of three people I would like to try that on today but might need a hand to get them strapped in securely.

Smithy09 - sorry should have replied sooner - would love to take you up on your offer at some point in the future. Just not in a position to use it today! When do you get back?

I will now be in NZ until 17th/18th. High n fibre is getting them this evening, then there is a guy in wellington, but he hasn't come back with an address, so maybe next week?

First client happy. Loadcell now en route to Wellington. Rum supply looking better, thanks to High n Fibre! I will look for a padded box for it on the weekend, as I can see it will be doing the rounds.. ScottiE next?

Hey Smithy, sometime in the future, I would be curious to find out how much my boat weighs, as I only have a verbal from the previous owner and it seems that every travelift I've ever been on didn't have one that worked at the time. Don't even have the first idea how I would do it, but seeing as I'm told it's around 3200 kg it's well within your weight limits. Anyway it's a bloody kind offer and a bot of rum is a good deal!

Any time AA. When Matt is finished with it in Wellywood, I can get him to courier it directly to you. Send him a PM (Mattyg). Better make it a bottle of Sav. Keep her indoors happy!!!

Cheers Smithy, I don't think I'd be ready any time soon though! By "some time in the future" I kinda meant the next time or the time after that, that I came out of the water! Hells bells I wouldn't know what to do with it! I'd need to plan it for 6 months at least! Some who know me would tell you that I can do most things but you shouldn't leave unsupervised with anything more complicated than plastic toys and they shouldn't be small enough that I can swallow them. I'm not planning on coming out of the water for a wee while as I was out just a few months ago. But will certainly be glad to stump up with the poison of her indoors' choice! :thumbup:

No sweat AA. Whenever you're ready. It's pretty straight foward. Turn it on, hang all the slings and stuff off it. Press zero (so you only weigh the boat), then hang the boat off it and watch the weight! Easy. I have to see if I can get one of those padded boxes with an O ring seal for it, then it will be a good bit of kit and easy to transport.. Good to see it being used rather than sitting in the attic..

Archived