trip report solomons to bali with the ogre

ex TL systems

I recently did a similar distance in a slightly extended one of these:

http://www.pedigreecats.com/farrier/f41.htm

Seemed a good compromise to me. Much better sailing boat than what I've seen of the European production cats. Still not race-cat fast, but by comparison we sat at 8ish close hauled in 15 knots of breeze and reaching with the screacher would sit in the 9-11 sort of range in the same wind, or do steady 12s and surfs of 16-17 in 20-25 until the knuckles got too white and the screacher came down... I think we logged a couple of 220ish mile days, and did AKL to the Australs just inside 14 days including a couple of days of motoring at 5 knots on one engine to save gas.

I'm also led to believe the shonning(spelling?) cruising cats go pretty well.

yes that farrier 41 is I think the same one I came back from Fiji in last year,Margarita? a lot better than the Fontaine a good compromise , still a bit heavy, but plenty of room and strong [it had over 100 cupboards and they all had things in them] there is definately lots of good cats around just a matter of finding what you want at a price you are happy with, its a hard job to find the perfect boat but I quite enjoy trying with the boats I have had even though I am at the low budget end of the scale. Some of the older Catanas and Outremers may get cheaper soon, and oneoff custom boats can be good value, if they are well designed and built, especially if needing some maintenance or repairs. Lots of boats are for sale and not a lot selling unless they are well priced. Another very nice Farrier 41 sold quickly recently in Akl when it went on Trademe at a good price. You have to be ready with the cash when oportunitys like that come up.

What worries me is that only their RIGHT legs were bandaged.

No left handed banadges in the first aid kit.

What bad planning . . . or was something else happening out there. :twisted:

One only asks to understand . . . :crazy:

I'm left handed, don't know what his excuse is. :lol:

Actually we both had smaller eruptions in various places, whatever it was it was a nasty little bug.

ha, I did have a left leg bandage too but I used it at the airport to turn the 1 metre wooden carving that I bought in Bali into a "Walking stick", luckily that meant I could take it as cabin baggage and not excess baggage. Once we arrived home I found I was able to walk unassisted again. :D

If you want to know if a cruising cat is fast or not its pretty simple maths

F 41 - 7680kg - upwind SA 87sqm

Mumby Cyber 48 - 8000-8500kg - upwind SA 115sqm

Catana 47 - 11000kg - upwind SA 139sqm

Leopard 48 14500kg - upwind SA 144sqm

The trouble is if you pack on to much sail area for the displacement it becomes dangerous for the family!

yep my little cruising cat at displacement 2500 kg and upwind sail area of 67 m2 compares well with that list, it needs to be reefed early to keep the family happy, but is very nice to sail particularly in the light

Currently away on P'zazz in Fiji (via tonga) ...we did Opua to south Minerva in 4 days flat sailing conservatively at night...the day before arriving we had gennaker up all day surfing on 2-3m swells hitting mid teens and topping out at 19 in 23 knots of wind ...that was reasonably laden (1000 liters fuel and 600 odd of water )..

Being able to do reasonable passages makes your cruising a lot more enjoyable in my opinion...always nice to be at anchorage rather than having to sail an extra night....

Ah that could be close to the perfect boat , fast and fun to sail, plenty of room and able to carry a load and its a catamaran as well. Actually got an email ad today about a new boat, an Alibi 54 cat built near Bangkok , they are out there if you have the funds.

Every boat is a compromise ....think the trick is to tick off as many must haves as possible in the design and build....

Nice figures Paul. I noticed the gap in the marina. Pzaz would tick most of my boxes. You got a great boat there. How are all the new toys working? All good? Considering you have done a bit of work to her, it would be good to see a thread on what works on the boat and what doesn't!!

Meantime The Marshall gets yet more work done on her.....

Thanks Smithy ....she certainly hasnt disappointed so far...maybe will do that when I get back (Nov) as will have had more time to assess over continued use...

one thing that is really handy is a water collection system which funnels water off the cabin top to a duct which then can be plumbed into the water intake by way of plastic tubing...in a reasonable nights rain fall we can collect 700-800 litres which is always well appreciated :)

Good luck with your work on the Marshall..she will be a different boat by the time you finish...

That sounds like a great idea. Like I told you before, twin outboard wheels and she would be perfect! Glad you're enjoying her. Always good to see a success story! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Archived